News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Recruitment

Author Topic: Recruitment  (Read 5886 times)

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Recruitment
« on: November 10, 2014, 09:09:54 AM »

How many of the 5 new faces that were brought in by Lee in the summer are actually playing an important role in the team? It seems that cavanagh, lauded as one of the best signings we've made in recent seasons by neil tolson has lost his place, steven Gillespie, another that was quoted as having "genuine quality" doesn't play. Ryan crowther is non leagues darren anderton, Sean Williams is a player I like, and I beleive has done well but regularly gets subbed off early in the game. Dave Parton had a couple of appearances and then lost his place. It's seems that the 5 players that we all thought would improve us are now just playing bit part roles at the club. Worrying.

Jimmy

Re: Recruitment
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 09:19:49 AM »

Williams best of what looks like a bad bunch hopefully they will get better but crowther and Gillespie had bad injury records when they came as for yesterday Williams shouldev stayed on richman was worse

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 09:23:49 AM »

Bit worried by Dave Parton's attitude in the substitutes half time beach football kick about. He might have been needed in that game but was out there with no gloves, not practising, and started waving his hand about after the ball stung his fingertips. Maybe his demeanour summed up the whole teams preparation for the game.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 11:02:51 AM »

In my view Sean Williams missed a chance to shine yesterday.  We know he is a good conference north player but I think he has struggled to make his mark in the National. So yesterday should have seen a rampaging performance from him against the quality he has been used to.  He failed to deliver in any meaningful way and it was right he was subbed.  A real shame

Jimmy

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 11:22:29 AM »

He played better than richman and is better than richman but still that's not much of a compliment to a midfielder at this level

eightiesrobin

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 11:24:37 AM »

Bit worried by Dave Parton's attitude in the substitutes half time beach football kick about. He might have been needed in that game but was out there with no gloves, not practising, and started waving his hand about after the ball stung his fingertips. Maybe his demeanour summed up the whole teams preparation for the game.

Since the start of the season, I have thought the pre-match warm-up looks a bit perfunctory compared to the oppsition's routines.

The half-time subs all doss about in a larkish manner to be fair. I remember Wally at Stalybridge taking his brew with him and scoring with his back.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 11:26:37 AM »

I'd forgive James Walshaw anything to have him back in the team right now.

eightiesrobin

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 11:38:34 AM »

I'd forgive James Walshaw anything to have him back in the team right now.

God, me too. I think his action was a "I'm a better striker with my back than he is with both feet and head" gesture.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 12:56:59 PM »

How many of the 5 new faces that were brought in by Lee in the summer are actually playing an important role in the team? It seems that cavanagh, lauded as one of the best signings we've made in recent seasons by neil tolson has lost his place, steven Gillespie, another that was quoted as having "genuine quality" doesn't play. Ryan crowther is non leagues darren anderton, Sean Williams is a player I like, and I beleive has done well but regularly gets subbed off early in the game. Dave Parton had a couple of appearances and then lost his place. It's seems that the 5 players that we all thought would improve us are now just playing bit part roles at the club. Worrying.

My thoughts exactly.

Yesterday we faced the most important match of our season to date and our two much-heralded/supposed 'marquee signings' Cavanagh and Gillespie made no contribution whatsoever.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 01:04:45 PM »

Since the start of the season, I have thought the pre-match warm-up looks a bit perfunctory compared to the oppsition's routines.

The half-time subs all doss about in a larkish manner to be fair. I remember Wally at Stalybridge taking his brew with him and scoring with his back.

Totally agree with this. The players look laid back to the point of indifference in the minutes before kick-off and while we don't necessarily then start slowly, yesterday was a game when we needed to start at full tilt and we clearly didn't.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 04:43:44 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

Yesterday we faced the most important match of our season to date and our two much-heralded/supposed 'marquee signings' Cavanagh and Gillespie made no contribution whatsoever.

I know I bang his drum a lot, but what confuses me the most (and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet) is that Cavanagh was surely signed for games like yesterday - to provide leadership and experience, calm the game down, stick his foot in, make an example - in situations where Lee Sinnott teams have invariably failed (i.e. backs against the wall, showing character).

His omission either highlights that the manager's clueless, or Cav's simply not been coming up with the goods in training.  I suggest a bit of both.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 04:51:59 PM »

I think there is a contradiction for Cav in our style of play: he puts his foot on the ball and slows it down, whereas we are most effective when we ping it about at pace.

He therefore has the unfortunate combination of being precisely what we need and also not fitting our style of play

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 06:11:28 PM »

I think there is a contradiction for Cav in our style of play: he puts his foot on the ball and slows it down, whereas we are most effective when we ping it about at pace.

He therefore has the unfortunate combination of being precisely what we need and also not fitting our style of play

I get what you mean, but Rochdale play the way we do (only better, admittedly) and he captained them to promotion last season!

roytonmike

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »

He therefore has the unfortunate combination of being precisely what we need and also not fitting our style of play.
I agree completely. He might have been thought of as the new Danny Boshell, but in fact we have tended to look more convincing and more incisive without him.
As regards the general point with which this thread started - Gillespie & Crowther have an awful lot to prove, ability and fitness-wise; Sean Williams has yet to convince me that he has the ability to go with his undoubted endeavour; Parton did have a run of games before his injury at Barnet & might well get back in; and for Cavanagh see above.
To widen the discussion a little - we'll need to wheel & deal in January (there is no prospect of major movement before then, of course) & at the moment Wilkinson is a prime candidate for moving on, along with Mike Williams. There are strong arguments for saying that neither of them should have been kept on at the end of last season & neither has done anything to change that perspective since.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 06:28:40 PM by roytonmike »
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Recruitment