PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Duncan (again)
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Duncan (again)  (Read 5028 times)

Baldrick

Duncan (again)
« on: October 18, 2014, 05:13:21 PM »

Maybe it is time for him to move on.  They lost 8-0 to a team who sold anyone worth more than 50p and the manager is still not playing him. If I was Duncan I would start making demands to either play or go. Too many players have had their careers destroyed by clueless managers.

joe

Re: Duncan (again)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 05:33:57 PM »

I don't think he's stupid enough to start making demands like that tbh.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 06:11:36 PM »

At the risk of repeating myself, isn't Duncan waiting to complete his degree before embarking on a full-time football career?

Jimmy

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 06:13:42 PM »

Poyet is good manager who did very well to keep sunderland up he will keep up this season

Baldrick

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 06:16:16 PM »

At the risk of repeating myself, isn't Duncan waiting to complete his degree before embarking on a full-time football career?

Probably, but he needs games and the team need him. How long does a degree take? I thought it was three years.

Jimmy

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 06:20:23 PM »

I'm not sure you know the diffrence between top flight and the blue square north

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 06:43:57 PM »

I'm not sure you know the diffrence between top flight and the blue square north
Aren't WE in the top flight?  :D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 07:28:16 PM »

Probably, but he needs games and the team need him. How long does a degree take? I thought it was three years.

Three years normally..........he is in his final year.....what makes you think he has been there longer ?
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Baldrick

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 08:18:24 PM »

Three years normally..........he is in his final year.....what makes you think he has been there longer ?

It just seems like he has always been doing a degree

sweetfa

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 10:47:08 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the interest as ever. A quick update.

1.Duncan's breakthrough season at Alty was his last year at school as 17/18 year old. He chose Manchester to do his degree so he could stay with Alty. His "big season" was his first year of three year degree (18/19). At the end of that season Sunderland bought him. We transferred him to Newcastle Uni and they accepted the first year at Manchester as though it was their own. So last season was also his second year at Uni (19/20). This season will therefore be his final year at uni (20/21).

2. The football and the degree are not in conflict. He does the football as priority - missing most of the lectures - with agreement from the uni. He does all the studying in the evenings from books and video playbacks of lectures (if any). The football club have never had to play second fiddle to the uni, except for the January exams, when exam has priority if there is a clash. But that is a few days in Jan (just before FAC 4th round last year). The May exams happen after the season is over. Otherwise he is just like any other U21 pro footballer, doing an 0800-1600 day (plus game days) six days a week, eleven months a year. Whilst the uni does, in a sense, play second fiddle to the football, so it does for many students to drinking, partying etc which Duncan doesn't do! He got a First both years so far, so that doesn't seem to be a problem.

3. As for the football progress, he is doing really well. The gap between Conf N and Prem League is massive, and the few that make that jump (like Vardy at Leicester, Gayle at Palace) usually do so via League 1 or 2 then Championship then Prem League. Kevin Ball last year and Robbie Stockade this year have given Duncan incredible coaching to help him improve, and the sports science department have given him a personal fitness programme to get to PL level. He did well last season, but has really stepped up so far this season. Sunderland U21s are in the top league which, for example, the fabled Arsenal youth team is not. He has played Liverpool, City, Utd, Spurs and West Ham this season and been best player on pitch each game apart form Januzaj who was class above again. Gus Poyet (who didn't know him from Adam) has recently talked him up as future PL player to the local press. Lee Congerton (ditto re Adam) the Dir of Football recently extended his contract by a year to end season 2016. His fitness is unrecognisable vs Alty days, he remains quicker than most, though top defenders in PL are v quick, his dribbling, commitment and team spirit are great strengths. What is lacking at the highest level is end product which he is learning. He could have six or seven more goals this season, but the keepers just make the saves, he hits the post, or his crosses just don't find their man. So in discussion with the Club we have agreed that going on loan somewhere won't help this right now. Coaching with U21s and when possible First team is benefitting him most. He is catching up with the lost academy years as a teenager, whereas the academy players need to catch up on the playing that  he got with Alty, so tend to go on loan.

4. He still has this season and next as an U21 and since most Prem League players make the grade after that time (how many 1994 birth year players are there who play regularly in PL - not many I would suggest) we are not worried at all. The opposite in fact. He started at 8 with Tyler Blackett at Utd and of the original group of 30 it is Tyler, Dunc and Tom Lawrence (sold by Utd to Leicester in summer) who have played for PL clubs. None of the other are still in football of any level. He learned a lot at Utd, loved Alty who are irreplaceable in his heart and education, and Sunderland have been brilliant for him, and continue to be with him. And he is getting ever closer to the first team squad - but results like today don't help paradoxically -  as it is easier to bring young player into settled successful side than one under pressure.

5. So he is under no illusions about how much further he needs to improve to become a PL regular. And it might not happen for him. But Sunderland could not be a better place for him at the moment. And he still has a good chance, which for someone playing school first eleven just three years ago is quite remarkable. And wouldn't have been possible without his first team in red and white stripes.

I hope this helps. Happy to answer any questions.

Baldrick

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 11:09:55 PM »

I hope he does make it as a premier league regular and maybe an England player. The first time I saw him play for Altrincham he looked different class.

Bath Alty

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 11:58:35 PM »

Every time I saw him play for us he looked different class!

taxi Phil

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 12:18:32 AM »

Thanks for a very revealing post Ian. We're all rooting for him, and I'm sure his time will come sooner rather than later.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 08:33:51 AM »

I think we will see him again in early january as Sunderland are drawn away at alty in the 3rd round of the cup.  Dunc scores a consolation in a 3-1 alty win and refuses to celebrate
Bernard Taylors barmy army

roytonmike

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 11:50:53 AM »

Thanks for a very revealing post Ian. We're all rooting for him, and I'm sure his time will come sooner rather than later.
My thoughts exactly. It is so important not to rush the lad!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Duncan (again)