Today
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Today  (Read 5596 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Today
« on: August 09, 2014, 09:38:11 PM »

We wouldn't have beaten Alsager playing like that never mind Aldershot. Too many poor individual showings, bit of stage fright and too much naivety. The similarities to the 0-3 at Stevenage on our last return to the top flight where there to see.

You can put as much preparation in as you like, but things that can't be coached about this league are its unforgiving nature, that can only be learnt. Don't stand off, they'll have it off you, don't let the ball run out, they'll keep it in, don't let it roll back to you keeper, they'll be on their toes and create a chance out if it.

Not that upset because we've seen this before, dust ourselves down and on to Lincoln Tuesday.
Be strong, be ruthless, be unforgiving, that's what we are dealing with. Get a a chance take it, be patient, be clever, dont buy into their tactics, don't lose heart, you can operate at this level, learn from today, move on and dictate games, we're a good side.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Today
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 09:42:02 PM »

And as for Tuesday, if leather unavailable

Densmore....Havern...Marshell...Griffin

..........................Cavanagh..

Crowther............Williams S..........Clee
..................Gillespie...Reeves

Ps don't forget we are usually toss on the opening day...

joe

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 09:46:22 PM »

No keeper? Parton for me. Season too far for Stu after today's showing.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 09:55:21 PM »

We wouldn't have beaten Alsager playing like that never mind Aldershot. Too many poor individual showings, bit of stage fright and too much naivety. The similarities to the 0-3 at Stevenage on our last return to the top flight where there to see.

You can put as much preparation in as you like, but things that can't be coached about this league are its unforgiving nature, that can only be learnt. Don't stand off, they'll have it off you, don't let the ball run out, they'll keep it in, don't let it roll back to you keeper, they'll be on their toes and create a chance out if it.

Not that upset because we've seen this before, dust ourselves down and on to Lincoln Tuesday.
Be strong, be ruthless, be unforgiving, that's what we are dealing with. Get a a chance take it, be patient, be clever, dont buy into their tactics, don't lose heart, you can operate at this level, learn from today, move on and dictate games, we're a good side.
A Good sensible post without all the histrionics from somebody who was there

Bath Alty

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 09:56:29 PM »

Really?  I thought Stu did OK.  Cracking save second half low to his right in the one on one.  Don't know who called what for their third but he was badly exposed for the first two goals and not a lot he could do about it.

taxi Phil

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 11:22:46 PM »

Really?  I thought Stu did OK.  Cracking save second half low to his right in the one on one.  Don't know who called what for their third but he was badly exposed for the first two goals and not a lot he could do about it.

I'm afraid the third was down to him. But otherwise I felt he did reasonably well.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 11:22:57 PM »

No keeper? Parton for me. Season too far for Stu after today's showing.

Yes we gave Stu a bit of  a hard time for the 3rd goal on the radio but talking to some of the fans over the other side of the ground who had a better view, it sounds as if it wasn't as much of an error as first thought. Maybe more of a collective defensive mix up instead of an individual.

brian1925

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 11:27:52 PM »

I'm afraid to say that I think we got the team selection and the tactics hopelessly wrong today. In this league, there is absolutely no point going out gung ho away to these teams - they're just too cute for us, particularly in front of goal. When we resorted to three centre backs in the second half we looked much more compact and I think that's the way we have to go from now on with Scott as one of these centre backs. With Cav AND Sean Williams sitting in front of them we would be hard to break down. I understand that Lee wants us to play pretty passing football and I think that's great, but that will get us no points away from home against full time professional clubs like Aldershot. It has to be either Reevsey or Gillespie away from home with Ryan and Nicky in support. Sure, play 4 4 2 at home, but it'll be suicide if we continue to play that formation away from home.
As for what we did well. Contrary to what others have posted, Stu did well today and saved us a few goals today and Luca looked at home against Conference National opposition. Cav was probably our best player and Nicky was much more effective as a left wing back in the second half. Kyle did ok too when he came on and didn't look out of place winning a few flick ons and creating chances.
Aldershot had some half decent players and I think they'll end up mid-table, particularly if they keep that fine winger they have on loan - he destroyed us throughout. I thought their fans were a credit to them, singing throughout and a few nice comments towards our club from a number of them as my son and I left the ground.
I think we can do much better than we did today and we'll be a different team at home, so need need to panic just yet.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 11:43:59 PM »

I'm afraid to say that I think we got the team selection and the tactics hopelessly wrong today. In this league, there is absolutely no point going out gung ho away to these teams - they're just too cute for us, particularly in front of goal. When we resorted to three centre backs in the second half we looked much more compact and I think that's the way we have to go from now on with Scott as one of these centre backs. With Cav AND Sean Williams sitting in front of them we would be hard to break down. I understand that Lee wants us to play pretty passing football and I think that's great, but that will get us no points away from home against full time professional clubs like Aldershot. It has to be either Reevsey or Gillespie away from home with Ryan and Nicky in support. Sure, play 4 4 2 at home, but it'll be suicide if we continue to play that formation away from home.
As for what we did well. Contrary to what others have posted, Stu did well today and saved us a few goals today and Luca looked at home against Conference National opposition. Cav was probably our best player and Nicky was much more effective as a left wing back in the second half. Kyle did ok too when he came on and didn't look out of place winning a few flick ons and creating chances.
Aldershot had some half decent players and I think they'll end up mid-table, particularly if they keep that fine winger they have on loan - he destroyed us throughout. I thought their fans were a credit to them, singing throughout and a few nice comments towards our club from a number of them as my son and I left the ground.
I think we can do much better than we did today and we'll be a different team at home, so need need to panic just yet.

Fair points here. Whilst we played ok in patches today, it was a rude awakening for the lads.  You have to be that much tighter at both ends and if one player is not up to it then it is soon very apparent. Defensively we were suspect, especially in the wide positions and we will need to look at that. On the plus side I thought Cavanagh was tidy on the ball and Gillespie looked good when he was on but he will need to improve his stamina. I definitely think there is more to come from this group of players though.

Jimmy

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 09:00:13 AM »

And as for Tuesday, if leather unavailable

Densmore....Havern...Marshell...Griffin

..........................Cavanagh..

Crowther............Williams S..........Clee
..................Gillespie...Reeves

Ps don't forget we are usually toss on the opening day...
Agree with that team and agree with boss Hogg about trying Parton
I haven't seen Parton so I'm not best to judge on that but I am concerned by stu at this level it may sadly look a year to far

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 09:17:11 AM »

I also thought we were good in patches and attempted to pass the ball quickly. Cav had a good game. However our two strikers didnt get much service. I said at the end of last season that we needed to add  6 quality players to the squad. Yesterday only two new faces started. The reality is that last season's squad is not not good enough for Conf Prem and we got promoted by the skin of out teeth. I didnt think Aldershot were a good side, only slightly better than ourselves, but took their chances. The ref was one-sided and inconsistent, but to be fair he did wait to see if there was advantage before blowing his whistle.

Please could the person in charge of stewarding at Moss Lane contact me as I would like to bring to their attention the way we treated yesterday by the insensitive, petty and pathetic attitude of their stewards. This was pity as last time we played there they were very good and friendly.

taxi Phil

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 09:22:23 AM »

I also thought we were good in patches and attempted to pass the ball quickly. Cav had a good game. However our two strikers didnt get much service. I said at the end of last season that we needed to add  6 quality players to the squad. Yesterday only two new faces started. The reality is that last season's squad is not not good enough for Conf Prem and we got promoted by the skin of out teeth. I didnt think Aldershot were a good side, only slightly better than ourselves, but took their chances. The ref was one-sided and inconsistent, but to be fair he did wait to see if there was advantage before blowing his whistle.

Please could the person in charge of stewarding at Moss Lane contact me as I would like to bring to their attention the way we treated yesterday by the insensitive, petty and pathetic attitude of their stewards. This was pity as last time we played there they were very good and friendly.

I found their stewards better than many we come across......what was the problem you had ?

Hemel Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 09:33:41 AM »

Obviously the stewarding has become more officious since we were last in the Conference. Absolutely no common sense showed despite there being only 111 of us and no history of problems.

markecky

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 09:59:15 AM »

Not too concerned by yesterday simply because we didn't play anywhere near as well as well can.  We gave them to much space and when you present Conference teams with easy chances then they take them. 

Felt it could have been different if Gillespies lob had gone in and 2-1 but no complaints at the outcome.

Stuart should have claimed the third but he was left exposed for the other two, don't think it's time to change yet but I think he will have been disappointed with that.  Densmore will never have a another game that bad if he plays another 200 I don't think and James Lawrie may as well not have been on.

Agree with the team posted by Pete for Tuesday.

Not all bad from yesterday, Cavanagh was outstanding and Perry and Marshall played well second half. lovely finish by Clee.

Got to learn lessons from each game and I think they will.

altyf

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 11:49:08 AM »

I thought on the ball we looked tidy at times but you could tell that one team was hardened to this level of football and one team wasn't. That sort of thing can only come from playing games and gaining experience, so I'd like to think yesterday was a nice early lesson and we will improve rapidly.

I actually thought the 3rd goal was Havern's fault. The ball came across the 6 yard box and he seemed to just let it go across him with no apparent call from Stu. Don't think he should have taken the chance and he looked pretty annoyed with himself. I thought he was excellent for the rest of the game.

I was hugely impressed with Peter Cavanagh, you could tell he was one of our two players on the pitch that played a higher level than the rest last season. That's not having a go at the rest of the squad, just thought he was a great example of the traits we have to adopt to compete in this league, and hopefully he can pass on that experience.

Speaking to a few Aldershot fans in The Crimea after the game (the pub across the road, not the controversially annexed Russian oblast) they were brutally honest in assessing us. They said we were poor, had a long season ahead and had "a few out of shape players". Can't really blame them based on yesterday, but it's far too early to really tell what we are going to be like. They might get a shock when they come to Moss Lane later in the season...

Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today