PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Next season's fixtures - implications
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Next season's fixtures - implications  (Read 4496 times)

roytonmike

« on: May 15, 2014, 06:55:25 PM »

Looking at the calendar suggests there will be 36 afternoon matches, including bank holidays, which means 10 midweek night games. I suspect Macc will be the Christmas/New Year preferred option & Wrexham the August Bank/Easter Monday preference. That suggests that the midweek games (home & away) could be something like Southport, Halifax, Alfreton, Lincoln & Telford, some of which are a considerable distance away. In addition, trips to Dover & Torquay will surely mean stopovers for the players and Eastleigh, Salisbury, Aldershot & Braintree might come into that category too. Given that, is it any surprise that players are thinking twice before committing themselves to the National division? I think I'm right in saying that Hyde lost players on promotion for this kind of reason, and Chester also lost players, though changes in training patterns were probably as much if not more of a factor there.
In the late 70s we benefitted from the fact that players were earning good money from their jobs & therefore didn't want or need to go full-time, preferring to play for the likes of Alty rather than lower division Football League clubs like County. Maybe now we are liable to find difficulty in retaining players for the reasons outlined above - and may find recruitment equally difficult. I hope I'm wrong ...

York Alty

Re: Next season's fixtures - implications
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »

All this costs money.  The hoped for extra bods through the gates won't cover all those so extra sources of cash are needed.  We have shirt sponsors, stadium sponsors, match sponsors and goal sponsors.

The two easy answers are a) one of wins the lottery and pumps in a few million, b) top FA Cup run (remember them) including a visit up the road.

There are a few harder answers...and I don't know what they are bar the Sports Hall.

Mind you - it's a nice conundrum to be facing.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 07:19:10 PM by York Alty »

Jimmy

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 07:14:08 PM »

Fair point however more semi pro sides than last time we were up so they are in the same boat we can compete

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 07:16:23 PM »

For our last spell in Conference National we survived for 6 seasons and we paid our way. I think we are a stronger club off the pitch than in 2005 and while it won't be easy, but I am confident we can hold our own again.

ScoreDaws

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 07:29:16 PM »

For our last spell in Conference National we survived for 6 seasons and we paid our way. I think we are a stronger club off the pitch than in 2005 and while it won't be easy, but I am confident we can hold our own again.
[/quote

Yeah,  agreed I think we will make a good fist of it. All depending on getting good business done now, and mid table could be a possibility.

markecky

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 07:44:28 PM »

At the end of the day those that want to stay and be part of us will do that. Those that won't will be thanked for their efforts and have given us some wonderful memories.

We will know in the morning what we have to build on and well have to make some new heroes.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 07:55:09 PM »

We didn't really "hold our own" though, did we?

In those six seasons, we finished in the relegation places on four occasions (once unjustly, obviously).

I think that some people are already in danger of underestimating the extent of the task that lies ahead.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 08:01:13 PM »

I'm not, as I assume we won't go into games playing 1 upfront and hoping to only lose by a couple if we don't nick a point in certain situations. Play our game, every game, play to our strengths and just see where it takes us. Get the lads in early as poss, get them fit, and prepare to lose more often, but other than that heads up and let's go. See what we've got to work with tonight, and add what we need in the coming weeks. We are a couple of weeks behind most, but there will be players available. I still think this league we are entering will suit us better.

York Alty

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »

I'm very confident we'll stay up.  It may not be pretty and faith will be tested but we'll stay up.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 08:22:59 PM »

In those six seasons, we finished in the relegation places on four occasions (once unjustly, obviously).

I think that some people are already in danger of underestimating the extent of the task that lies ahead.

Fair point but we survived fair and square and we managed it financially too.

I don't think anyone is underestimating the challenge. It is a big step up and it will be very hard but I think we are equipped to handle it.

taxi Phil

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 09:05:59 PM »

We are actually in better shape than last time. Look at what Halifax achieved, and believe we can do that too. There are obviously no guarantees but there's no reason why we can't surprise the doubters with a little luck and a lot of application.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 09:08:04 PM »

We are actually in better shape than last time. Look at what Halifax achieved, and believe we can do that too. There are obviously no guarantees but there's no reason why we can't surprise the doubters with a little luck and a lot of application.

Totally agree ,in a better position than 2005 and off the pitch.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 10:10:01 PM »

The foundations of our success this season were that Lee had a squad in place immediately the previous season finished.
Circumstances dictate that is not possible at present, but lets hope the jigsaw is in place as soon as possible.
Everyone knew weeks ago that we would need possibly as many as half a dozen new quality players next season to survive in Conf Prem.
I am surprised James Walshaw has left as I thought he would relish the challenge and would have been a handful for Conf prem defenders, but I understand his decision and I knew his work commitments were an issue.

Jimmy

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 10:24:12 PM »

I'm not, as I assume we won't go into games playing 1 upfront and hoping to only lose by a couple if we don't nick a point in certain situations. Play our game, every game, play to our strengths and just see where it takes us. Get the lads in early as poss, get them fit, and prepare to lose more often, but other than that heads up and let's go. See what we've got to work with tonight, and add what we need in the coming weeks. We are a couple of weeks behind most, but there will be players available. I still think this league we are entering will suit us better.
To be fair pete the last side that went up didnt have the funds or quality so that maybe a reason why they were a bit negative

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 10:27:55 PM »

Have to agree to some extent, but also have to say that on numerous occasions we occupied a relegation place that should have been occupied by teams who were cheating the whole division by spending the taxman's money or money owed to local businesses on players wages instead.............problem was their debt always took a few seasons to kick- in and then relegate them.

For example, when we were relegated, Darlington, Kettering and Rushden finished ahead of us........what happened to them..........rose tinted specs maybe, but still feel a bit aggrieved
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team