News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 counting chickens

Author Topic: counting chickens  (Read 2925 times)

ianpickles

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
counting chickens
« on: April 20, 2014, 08:10:22 AM »

I went to check out AFC Telford Utd against Gloucester City yesterday. Could their style of play be as bad on the eye as it seemed to be against Alty? Answer is yes. If you want to see the ball in the air for 70% of the time and only one skillful player in the team then Telford it is. Their is a lot of crticism of Alty's play on the forum but at least you get to see a team trying to play on the ground for much of the time with a genuine desire to show some good, skillful stuff. I'd love to see Alty play them again in the next couple of weeks and give them a lesson in how to entertain. Unfortunately Telford's approach does win games but talking to their fans you can sense that it leaves them deeply frustrated. I think it is worth giving Alty a bit more praise for what they are trying to do.

Jimmy

Re: counting chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 08:31:01 AM »

Spot on they play some  dreadful stuff the problem is when we play a team like that we try and play them like for like as soon as things are not going well

taxi Phil

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 10:29:40 AM »

Spot on they play some  dreadful stuff the problem is when we play a team like that we try and play them like for like as soon as things are not going well
Exactly Jimmy, and we aren't set up to play that kind of game.

I went to Rochdale v Southend United on Friday afternoon before coming on to our game (God bless Hash for rescuing me off the tram or I'd have missed it). Southend reminded me a lot of Telford, closed everything down, forced errors out of a desperately poor Rochdale, scored three tap-ins. Rochdale's fans were streaming out soon after the hour......and they're second in the League. Though on what I saw i don't know why.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 11:27:47 AM »

It's very disappointing these mean horrible clubs don't let us play the sort of football we want to play isn't it? Maybe the lesson to be learned is we need to be bigger, tougher and more physical ourselves to beat these teams. You don't get points for technical merit and artistic impression.

Jimmy

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 12:04:45 PM »

Or beat them playing to are strengths but same time you have a point Ian

ianpickles

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 07:40:32 PM »

I think that Alty were in a difficult situation a couple of weeks ago against Telford. There was no Nicky Clee to make something happen and Simon Richman got hit very hard in the face (twice I think) which put him off his game. So Alty then tried to play too much like Telford, especially after Reeves went off, and I agree that we do not have the players to do this, certainly not against the likes of the Telford players. I think Simon Richman was a hero just to stay on the pitch that day.

george

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 10:13:27 PM »

Ian, Welcome. Glad you are still following us. Glad to know I can still remember supporters from my distant memories.

ianpickles

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 08:30:40 AM »

Morning, George. It is good to hear you are so much involved with the club. I am sure your memory is good. If you are like me you remember things from long ago better than what went on yesterday. I don't get to too many matches living in Shropshire but follow every move of the club and contribute where I can. I hope you have a good afternoon and see another good win. All the very best.

Ian
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 counting chickens