Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 This may be a controversial thought but......
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: This may be a controversial thought but......  (Read 6096 times)

radcliffe alty

Re: This may be a controversial thought but......
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 09:31:56 PM »

He'll win you over, I know he will!   :D

Daycare Dan

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 09:43:09 PM »

The problems with Thomson and Bowler arose not because we took a chance by signing them but as a result of them being offered one year contracts.

Both were offered contracts as other clubs were also interesting in signing them to contracts.

We took a chance it did not work out, you move on and try again. What is good to see is we are not throwing contracts around like they are Christmas cards. Both players could have added something to the existing squad.

Sounds like GH can't win; he signs players that don't work out and he's wrong, he does not sign a player and he's not trying!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 09:45:25 PM by Daycare Dan »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 10:07:53 PM »

Sounds like GH can't win; he signs players that don't work out and he's wrong, he does not sign a player and he's not trying!

If you read my post carefully, you will see that I was not criticising the actual signing of Bowler and Thomson but rather the fact that we offered them contracts, which contradicts GH's previous statements about not going down this particular route.

Believe me, I have seen enough players come and go at Moss Lane to know that you can never guarantee that any signing of a player will prove to be successful!

Oh, and where in my posts did I state that GH was "not trying" to sign a player?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 10:10:10 PM »

He'll win you over, I know he will!   :D

If Andy Scott scores the winning goal (for Alty) at Tamworth next Saturday afternoon, I will personally petition Trafford Council to have a statue of him erected in front of the shops opposite Moss Lane!

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Leighton_Alty

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007, 10:13:10 PM »

we might not be able to afford the wages for the players that GH wants to get or maybe he just doesn't want loanees

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2007, 10:14:37 PM »

we might not be able to afford the wages for the players that GH wants to get or maybe he just doesn't want loanees

I'm sure I said that in my first post!

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Jezza

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2007, 04:37:30 AM »

Loan players are a risk and can cost more than signing someone who benefits the team more.

I'm sure if a decent left winger had come available on loan from conf North at £200 a week we'd have had him? So I assume nothing decent became available and the contract commitments of Bowler and thompson probably prevented a decent loan of a conf player at £400 aweek for a month or so?

Graham has used the loan system in the past to the extent when it comes to January our loan quota has been reached!!

I'd rather a youth team player came through the ranks..we could do with another Leiws.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 08:36:07 AM »

It was probably down to money and if the club hasn't got it then it won't spend it - quite rightly too in the current climate.  Its easy to say that we should "push the boat out" or "speculate", but with who's money?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007, 09:06:40 AM »

Number of things.

We may see more contracts handed out to new signings if we stay up at this level. The players who have been here for a while know they will be looked after and treated professionally, the lads who come in were offered contracts as a show of good faith, bear in mind O'Neill and Bowler both left professional/fulltime football to come and play part time, a huge step. My understanding is that neither will be offered a contract next year. I think at conf level the players of the required standard we try to sign will either be pro, on good money or have a lot of clubs sniffing around them be it whether they are dropping down or stepping up from conf north.

Bowler and Thomson, I don't know. I agree it was reasonable to ggive them a contract , GH seemed to think he could get the best out of thomson, for whatever reason he couldn't. Move on. Bowler started off brilliantly but threw a paddy after being subbed in the friendly the City and never gave a toss thereafter.

What on earth posesses players like that, surely neither of them will get a good gig or a contract next season for anyone now. Bowler in particular could have made a name for himself but at 19/20 seems to be wasting his talent. Weird.

<<< The exit door's this way Thomson you T**t

Back to loan signings I think the level we're at now and the wages required, it's not like the old days where you could gamble on someone, do it now and you're doing it with a significant amount of money which we just can't do.

For what it's worth I know we have tried desperately to ssign players both permanently or on loan and been unable to. I think I'm ok in listing the names (only a couple are rumours) and it would've been a pretty decent squad all told so GH and DS have been tryin. - John Hardiker (RB), Matt Doughty (LB), Mark Tierney (LB), Danny Adams (LB), Graham Allen (CB), John Boardman (CB), Mark Roberts (RB/CB/CM), Jamie Tandy (LW), John Grant (CF), Dino Maamria (CF).

Prob the best example on that is Danny Adams, local lad, released by Hudds, GH desperate for him to stay, gets on well with him. As a solid left back and freeing up Warren for attacking duties, we'd probably be safe by now but he went to Morecambe for full time football, a good chance of getting back into the league and obviously a lot more money (nearly double I believe).

:-\ :-\

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 02:30:47 PM »

Number of things.
What on earth posesses players like that, surely neither of them will get a good gig or a contract next season for anyone now. Bowler in particular could have made a name for himself but at 19/20 seems to be wasting his talent. Weird.

In recent times, we do seem to have been cursed with underperforming left wingers.

I give you....

Ryan Hevicon
Steve Torpey
Blake Norton

....and now Justin Bowler.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2007, 11:12:40 PM »

Number of things.

In recent times, we do seem to have been cursed with underperforming left wingers.

I give you....

Ryan Hevicon
Steve Torpey
Blake Norton

....and now Justin Bowler.

And James Olsen. And Stuart Wright....

Has there been a regular there since Kevin Ellison?
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 This may be a controversial thought but......