Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 This may be a controversial thought but......
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: This may be a controversial thought but......  (Read 6095 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: April 15, 2007, 05:18:44 PM »

......have we not handicapped ourselves by not using the player loans system much this season?

By my reckoning, the only player that we have brought in on loan has been Chris Senior (and now he's injured!).

So, is it purely down to finances?
I know that Thomson and Bowler have proved to be two futile leeches on the club's budget....but could we have done something to bring in an extra player during the hectic months of March and April?

After all, some minor speculation could have proved to be an inspired investment if it were to contribute towards Conference survival and all the accompanying financial benefits that follow. 

I have heard it said that GH is not a fan of bringing in loan players.....but the fact remains that we are now struggling to fill the bench with able-bodied personnel.

What price an extra option now?

(Stands back to receive abuse....!)

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: This may be a controversial thought but......
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »

you have a point but we are capable of beating tamwoth and aldershot or at least getting 4 points which means safety , although i reckon 53 may.if we go down we desrve to.i personally think it may come to goal diff .come on vics on tues at stafford.a stafford win really puts pressure on.

Daycare Dan

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 06:08:34 PM »

A Loan signing would have been a good idea, but as you say it comes down to finances too.

I remember we were looking at a centre back from Chester, but they wanted us to pay the full £800 per week he was on. Even though they did not want him and were happy for him to sit in there reserves. (Can't remember his name)

As another point could we / should we have put more of our reserves on Conference forms? Deegan was with the squad yesterday, maybe someone like him coming off the bench may, just may have changed one game and got us a point when we lost etc?

Altysmiffy

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 06:30:46 PM »

......have we not handicapped ourselves by not using the player loans system much this season?

By my reckoning, the only player that we have brought in on loan has been Chris Senior (and now he's injured!).

So, is it purely down to finances?
I know that Thomson and Bowler have proved to be two futile leeches on the club's budget....but could we have done something to bring in an extra player during the hectic months of March and April?

After all, some minor speculation could have proved to be an inspired investment if it were to contribute towards Conference survival and all the accompanying financial benefits that follow. 

I have heard it said that GH is not a fan of bringing in loan players.....but the fact remains that we are now struggling to fill the bench with able-bodied personnel.

What price an extra option now?

(Stands back to receive abuse....!)

I agree!

Either GH has not wanted loanees (& I trust his judgement) or we simply have not been able to afford the players he wanted.

Lets not be frightened of risking reserves if we need to.

louise1925

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 06:46:58 PM »

We've got enough to get 4 points from the last two games. The important question is, will Val be available for the Tammy game?
AltyBri

Daycare Dan

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 07:46:02 PM »

The important question is, will Val be available for the Tammy game?

I hope so!

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 08:05:29 PM »

I'm sure I've said this before but I'm 100% sure that Gh and DS would have loved to have some quality loan signings in. Unfortunatly these do not grow on trees and with most clubs in financial mess you have to contribute towards wages, which we could not afford to do.

I am also defo NOT a fan of speculate to accumulate. Loan signings or spending money we haven't got on players would NOT have guaranteed a season any better. We have had\having a good season as far as I'm concerned. We have COMPETED at this level and that is some form of achievement as far as I'm concerned

Alex

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 08:34:03 PM »

in my opinion i would say we have had a good season this year. we have competed with sides that we're handing us 5-0 thrashings last year and got a very respectable result away to oxford (who at the time we're un beaten and we had a kinda reserve team out). i think that we are only 2 or 3 signings away from bieng a top mid table side in this league. but we carn't just throw money at any player and hope we have to trust GH to bring in player who will help the squad without damaging the club.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 08:38:48 PM »

I'm sure I've said this before but I'm 100% sure that Gh and DS would have loved to have some quality loan signings in. Unfortunatly these do not grow on trees and with most clubs in financial mess you have to contribute towards wages, which we could not afford to do.

I am also defo NOT a fan of speculate to accumulate. Loan signings or spending money we haven't got on players would NOT have guaranteed a season any better. We have had\having a good season as far as I'm concerned. We have COMPETED at this level and that is some form of achievement as far as I'm concerned

Gary,

As stated in my original post, I am fully aware that some loan options are simply beyond our budget.

As regarding speculation, I am not advocating going down the road of irresponsible spending a la the Gerry Berman era but perhaps we could have just pushed out the boat a little to bring in one player when we realised just how many fixtures there were to fulfil in March?

Yes, another player would not have automatically guaranteed us some extra points.....but, at the same time, you can't guarantee or prove that one different player would NOT have contributed something on the pitch that may have gained us one or even three points.

As for me, we will only have had a good season IF/WHEN we retain our Conference status.   

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 08:43:09 PM »

in my opinion i would say we have had a good season this year.

We will only have had a good season if we avoid relegation!

but we carn't just throw money at any player and hope we have to trust GH to bring in player who will help the squad without damaging the club.

Do I hear the names Thomson and Bowler echoing around Moss Lane again?!

Daycare Dan

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 08:48:42 PM »

Are GH and DS not allowed to make mistakes? If we don't sign players, we are not going to get anywhere are we!?

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 08:49:38 PM »

Well they are your opinions, which is what the forum is all about  :)

at the same time, you can't guarantee or prove that one different player would NOT have contributed something on the pitch that may have gained us one or even three points.

I would rather have not spent the money and not took the chance.

As for me, we will only have had a good season IF/WHEN we retain our Conference status.
Well my opinion is based on what has been happening to too many clubs at our level. We have become debt free, have competed well and are in a better shape than probably 50% of the teams in this league. That is why I think we have had a good season. With football now I'm afraid its as just about what happens off the pitch as what happens on it.

And an excellent example of why we should not take chances on players that are unproven, or fat, or not wanting to work hard .... etc
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 08:53:11 PM by gazwarrington »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 09:09:36 PM »

Are GH and DS not allowed to make mistakes? If we don't sign players, we are not going to get anywhere are we!?

The problems with Thomson and Bowler arose not because we took a chance by signing them but as a result of them being offered one year contracts.

radcliffe alty

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 09:09:49 PM »

As regarding speculation, I am not advocating going down the road of irresponsible spending a la the Gerry Berman era but perhaps we could have just pushed out the boat a little to bring in one player when we realised just how many fixtures there were to fulfil in March?

That's what we did with your mate Andy Scott wasn't it?  ;)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 09:14:55 PM »

That's what we did with your mate Andy Scott wasn't it?  ;)

Andy Scott arrived in January, as I recall.

Oh, and I don't think that we so much "pushed the boat out" to sign him as maybe floated a rather leaky coracle!

Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team