PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wikipedia
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Wikipedia  (Read 12975 times)

Randy Konk

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
Re: Wikipedia
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 01:15:23 PM »

This game was one of my most vivid  Moss Lane memories although I must have been a few times before that and I can remember little of the game other than the Alty goal - was it Mal Bailey at the Chequers end?

Great day, I do remember it being hard to move, packed in like a sardine. I still have the programe somewhere. Hard to imagine that number of people in there...different times

What was the attendance for the FA Cup replay v Sheff Utd early 80's. I'd have thought that would be pretty decent....

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 01:29:54 PM »

The goial against Orient was a mazy run and low shot from edge of box by Barry Whitbread into the Chequers end.  A very good goal.  His sitter miss from inside the six yard box was as a consequence of him and Barry Howard going for the same ball and colliding.  At 2-0 we would have won it from there and we would have had West Ham at Moss Lane.

The Sheffield United crowd was 5137, although the ground seemed a lot fuller.  There had been 12433 at Bramhall Lane.

thegazelle

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 02:11:26 PM »

the crowds for Macc games in that era where always huge  . we moved to westminster road in 1969 and every time we played macc cars would be parked all the way up our road and along hale road . if you think how many people actually owned cars in those days , that would mean if we got a similar crowd today they would be parked all the way to wimslow.

at the risk of repeating myself one of the biggest crowds i remember was the matlock trophy replay in 78 but when the crowd was published it was 2,000 something i swear there was more than double that. didnt we get 4.000+ for the winsford quater final . cue memories of shouting "top right" to their keeper as heathcote put a free kick in the top right hand corner of the net , sparking mass hysteria on chequers end .
obviously no segregation for that one , when did the singers start gathering at the corner of the popular side even though the game was not segregated ? (well after my singing days)

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2013, 02:20:38 PM »

I remember that Pete, and for lots of matches after we would shout to tell the keeper where Heathcote was going to put it!

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »

Matlock was 2253, the Weymouth replay was 2450 and the Scarborough semi final was 2795

The followng year there were 4086 for the Winsford game and 3793 for Runcorn in the semi.  And then 3700 at Runcorn for the second leg , which is a lot of people for (a very violent) Canal Street.

A brilliant header from Mal Bailey to win that one!  Oh happy days

mr f.trucker

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »

Wasn't the Goalmouth sanded for the Stepney Incident ? seems to ring a bell.
I too was in the Chequers end.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:03:53 PM by Trucks »

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2013, 04:08:21 PM »

The goial against Orient was a mazy run and low shot from edge of box by Barry Whitbread into the Chequers end.  A very good goal.  His sitter miss from inside the six yard box was as a consequence of him and Barry Howard going for the same ball and colliding.  At 2-0 we would have won it from there and we would have had West Ham at Moss Lane.

The Sheffield United crowd was 5137, although the ground seemed a lot fuller.  There had been 12433 at Bramhall Lane.

Still my favourite win of all time at home. Against a team top of the old Division 4 at the time and after only just securing a 2-2 draw at Bramhall Lane (well it wasn't comfortable in my opinion, on or off the pitch), I didn't expect the complete demolition that occurred that night in my wildest dreams (and there's a place you'd be better off not visiting).
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2013, 04:19:43 PM »

Still my favourite win of all time at home. Against a team top of the old Division 4 at the time and after only just securing a 2-2 draw at Bramhall Lane (well it wasn't comfortable in my opinion, on or off the pitch), I didn't expect the complete demolition that occurred that night in my wildest dreams (and there's a place you'd be better off not visiting).

Barry Howard's finest performance in an Alty shirt plus an astonishing goal from Graham Heathcote.

A truly exhilarating night.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2013, 04:21:46 PM »

Was it difficult to get away from Sheffield after the game?

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2013, 04:45:45 PM »

It was if you were a giddy geek of a teenager travelling on his own on one of the many coaches and paying absolutely no heed to the drivers instructions as you disembarked. Had I have listened, I'd have known that the coach was picking us up at a different point to the drop off. As it was, I exited the away terrace in a joyous daze, transistor radio glued to ear for other results and an honourable mention of ours. My joy soon turned to panic as there was no sign of a coach and as I turned on my heels there was a wall of Sheffield United supporters heading along the side of the ground towards me. I am grateful to this day that we both wore the same colours as a group of likely lads approached me, thankfully they were only interested in the Wednesday score (looking back on it they'd have had to have been real sad sacks to have been looking for anything else with a gangly, specky geek like me).

I still can't remember to this day how I got back to the coach, but make it back I did.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2013, 06:07:21 PM »

Well I remember there being a load of Sheff Utd skins looking for trouble but not finding any. I remember this because I was with my brother who was stoned out of his head, he was wandering down the road singing 'Altrincham lalala' under his breath but loud enough to hear. I told him if he didn't stop I would fill him in myself.
But on a scale of 1 to Tottenham 79, not really.

I seem to remember them kicking open the gate at the Chequers end when the home game finished, is that right?
I can still see Barry Howard tearing Stewart Houston a new one, and was right behind Heathcote  screaming 'don't shoot from there' as he let fly. Great days indeed.

I suppose as Uncle Globby says we all have our favourites, and mine was and remains the Rotherham 2-0

thegazelle

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2013, 06:20:31 PM »

An incredible night barry howard tore houston apart bob hatton refused to play because he was sh*t scared after we kicked him all over the park at bramhall lane.  their fans  did kick down the gates at the chequers .

some of my friends who were alty fans were at sheff uni so i stopped in sheffield after the match and we went to see rick wakeman at the city hall . we got the train back on the monday with loads of sheff utd fans who couldnt believe there was three fans of alty in one place at the same time .

it was rumoured we had the game won when kingy came back with his head bandaged up in a terry butcher like way . the sheff uts winger ryan (????) was a local lad and he said the whole team just deflated when he came back on.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »

OK then, name the pop singer/star who was standing amongst those Sheffield United fans at Moss Lane for that FA Cup First Round Replay.....

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

thegazelle

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2013, 07:10:05 PM »

guessing at the bloke from house martins............ Paul Heaton a known blades casual top boy

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »

I suppose as Uncle Globby says we all have our favourites, and mine was and remains the Rotherham 2-0

I did say my favourite win at home for that very reason ;-)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wikipedia