today
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: today  (Read 6363 times)

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: today
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 11:41:12 AM »

We didnt play great but still won which is the sign of a good side. The difference was Clee and Perry especially the latter who put himself about brilliantly and gave their defenders something to think about for the first time in the match. Scored one and made two is a decent debut for a striker alot of fans have written off before a competitive ball was kicked!!

Spot on

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 01:06:50 PM »

I thought he played well and was unlucky to have been replaced (I would have replaced Lawrie for Clee).  Alty yesterday looked very solid without being very creative.  An even first half with a wonder goal from Glover.  Worcester didn't seem to be a very good side but they did play on the counter attack and close us down quickly in the first half (odd but given our performance last year and being one of the favourites perhaps we have to put up with this attitude from home sides).  Second half they went further and further back not really creating anything.  Clee brought the creativity needed to unlock the defense and Perry was great.  I'm not so sure we would have won by anymore if we would have started with them both.  So nice to see options on the bench.  Well taken goal by Rogers too.  We would have drawn that game in the past.  Odd though that the two best players for Worcester were subbed.

A good positive start

Just felt he didn't get to the byline enough mate and keep checking back which stopped us getting a flow.

On another note, if Nicky Clees volley had gone in it could have been goal of the season.

That's true although I think that was more down to the way we were playing, didn't see lawrie running the left either.  Clees chance was marvellous
Bernard Taylors barmy army

JDN

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »

Thought Smikle was poor, he and Walshaw were by far our poorest players

Lawrie isn't a left winger, we all know that

PeterJ

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 02:12:09 PM »

enjoyed it, hoping to get to a few more aways this season as not working every saturday.  we have a load more options now on the bench and a cracking squad.

they shut us down very fast and I think that's why we did a few to many long balls and it wasn't clicking first half.

bring on the barrow.

roytonmike

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 02:16:15 PM »

Thought Smikle was poor, he and Walshaw were by far our poorest players
Lawrie isn't a left winger, we all know that
Agree about Lawrie, but totally disagree re Smikle & Walshaw - first time I've seen either of them & I was impressed by both. Walshaw's effort level was excellent in my book, although he does have a tendency to go to ground a bit quick - not quite a Chris Denham in that regard, but ... - and Smikle could be very useful down the right. Lawrie could easily have been the player subbed to let Clee into the game.

Longman

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 04:55:55 PM »

I've seen Smikle twice now and i'm not impressed at all, very lightweight and just looks to get rid of the ball as soon as he gets it, doesn't go at players or provide any real width.  Hopefully he will prove me wrong and start to shine, however it's Lawrie or Richman on the right for me with Clee on the left obviously.  I also think Reeves benefits far more from Perry than he does Walshaw, who is too similar.

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 05:15:46 PM »

Terrible first half, after a good first 5 mins we panicked when showed some forward motion. Quickly resulted in to a half of hoofing it so worrying about Perry turning us in to a hit and hope outfit are a little misplaced.

It was having some ability on the wing that made us a football playing side.

If Densmore hadn't dowe a pretty amazing double block we would have been two down and I fear we would not have won from that position.
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 05:18:18 PM »

We didnt play great but still won which is the sign of a good side. The difference was Clee and Perry especially the latter who put himself about brilliantly and gave their defenders something to think about for the first time in the match. Scored one and made two is a decent debut for a striker alot of fans have written off before a competitive ball was kicked!!

I'll admit that my first sighting of Kyle Perry against that Burnley XI in the last of our pre-season friendlies did give me cause for concern.

However, Phil Taylor subsequently advised me that Perry's somewhat laboured perfomance in the first half of that game could probably be attributed to the fact that he had been afflicted by a virus.

Having listened to the Radio Robins commentary yesterday and then read some of the comments on this Forum from those reliable sources who were at the match (alas, ill health prevented me from attending), I am pleased to hear that Perry had such a positive impact on the team's fortunes when he came on as a substitute against Worcester City.

Perhaps 'The Cult Of Kyle Perry' could be evolving...?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 06:01:01 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Longman

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 05:39:18 PM »

I've been quite impressed with Perry.

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 05:44:10 PM »

Think Perry should be used with either Reeves or Walshaw  , didn't think Walshaw and reeves was a good partnership,to similar, but good to have the choice and competition upfront , and Rodgers could do a job up front after he came on ,could of scored with his first touch of game , useful all round player .

joe

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 07:34:53 PM »

Terrible first half, after a good first 5 mins we panicked when showed some forward motion. Quickly resulted in to a half of hoofing it so worrying about Perry turning us in to a hit and hope outfit are a little misplaced.

It was having some ability on the wing that made us a football playing side.

If Densmore hadn't dowe a pretty amazing double block we would have been two down and I fear we would not have won from that position.

That really was an excellent double block!!
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 today