PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Celtic nation
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Celtic nation  (Read 6209 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Iateallthepies

Re: Celtic nation
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 03:46:08 PM »

Not this old chest nut again.
Celtic will NEVER Join the English league set up.
1. Not good enough. (remember Brian's assessment of scottish football when Reeves turned down Inverness)? That was spot on.
2. Fans wont let in happen (bad enough having to travel up to dingwall on a bleak wednesday night without having to travel to J.D. stadium on a Tuesday)
3. financially not viable.
Scottish football had to take a HUGE cut in Television revenue this year, due to the Rangers situation. If celtic join the English set up, they would have to come in at the lower level,
so No TV revenue due to lack of interesting games would kill the game stone dead.
I was at celtic vs cliftonville last week, believe me, After watching Altrincham for a year;It was Just awful.
Celtic or any other Scottish club would not survive in the English league set up.
Looking forward to getting back to watching proper football.

P.S.
Celtic have no connection to this club what so ever.
It must have been a slow news day.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:55:38 PM by Iateallthepies »

VofD

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 04:02:50 PM »

Danny Hall signed for them.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 04:42:55 PM »

"There are 92 clubs in England, but none of them caters specifically for the Scottish and Irish communities in their midst. I want to establish a club that has a Celtic identity and would like to encourage people of Scottish and Irish heritage to come and watch us play."

as soon as you start creating football clubs for the benefit of specific communities (regardless of which ones they are) you're going down a pretty unhealthy route in my view. What's wrong with trying to build a club where people from all backgrounds can support it, not just one or two?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:18:03 PM by Bob »

fuertes

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 07:17:33 PM »

Not this old chest nut again.
Celtic will NEVER Join the English league set up.
1. Not good enough. (remember Brian's assessment of scottish football when Reeves turned down Inverness)? That was spot on.
2. Fans wont let in happen (bad enough having to travel up to dingwall on a bleak wednesday night without having to travel to J.D. stadium on a Tuesday)
3. financially not viable.
Scottish football had to take a HUGE cut in Television revenue this year, due to the Rangers situation. If celtic join the English set up, they would have to come in at the lower level,
so No TV revenue due to lack of interesting games would kill the game stone dead.
I was at celtic vs cliftonville last week, believe me, After watching Altrincham for a year;It was Just awful.
Celtic or any other Scottish club would not survive in the English league set up.
Looking forward to getting back to watching proper football.

P.S.
Celtic have no connection to this club what so ever.
It must have been a slow news day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Celtic and have no desire to see them playing in England. But your first point is rather silly. They beat Barcelona a matter of months ago as well as doing the double over Spartak Moscow. Now that they've adjusted their sights and put in place a credible transfer policy, they're a pretty decent side.

If Celtic, Rangers or anyone else want to play in England, then they should do it in a completely transparent way. Leave their current national association and start at the very bottom of the English pyramid. All this talk of Trojan clubs or clubs joining at Premier League or Championship level is utter bollocks.

Iateallthepies

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 07:36:44 PM »

But your first point is rather silly. They beat Barcelona a matter of months ago as well as doing the double over Spartak Moscow. Now that they've adjusted their sights and put in place a credible transfer policy, they're a pretty decent side.

It was a tremendous result, but since then Celtic have not improved. They do not have the dept of squad needed to maintain a league run in English football.
As to celtic nation as a team, i hope they do well, and attract a decent support.
They are in the same league as Shildon.
Good luck to them.

fuertes

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 07:43:49 PM »

It was a tremendous result, but since then Celtic have not improved. They do not have the dept of squad needed to maintain a league run in English football.
As to celtic nation as a team, i hope they do well, and attract a decent support.
They are in the same league as Shildon.
Good luck to them.

I think Celtic would probably finish about 14th in the Premier League. But that's neither here nor there. That club with that fanbase and the additional TV/sponsorship revenues would be up there fighting for the CL places.

Anyway, not gonna happen. So never worry.

Iateallthepies

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 08:01:22 PM »

That's very optimistic considering last season celtic lost away to Motherwell in a game they should have won lost at ross county and to Inverness at home.
and were very inconsistent throughout.
Celtic have now sold Hooper to Norwich and the game against cliiftonville last week at celtic park was awful.
cliftonville should have got a draw.
But i do agree that if any Scottish club were to join the English league set up, they should start at the bottom.
But i can't see it happening.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 10:05:33 PM »

If Wales can have teams in the English league, why cant Scotland?
At present Celtic would be a championship side but the extra revenue generated would give them the facility to develop.
Celtic have a lot to thank Fergus McCann for when he laid down the foundations, and was ridiculed at the time for not throwing money at players like Rangers did.
There should be a British Premier League and also one Great Britain national side (the 3 British countries and the Channel Islands/IOM) which must start as a bottom seed to qualify for World Cups and the Euro's.

I am afraid that Scottish Football died as a result of the mismanagement of Rangers.
However this topic has nothing to do with Alty and hopefully never will have.

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 10:12:09 PM »

Bring Celtic & the Gers in, welsh clubs are in without causing problems to their national side, and Berwick ! it goes both ways. Fan base is massive and the qualty would improve to compete.

Hamilton

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 10:31:15 PM »

It almost sounds to me like they are hinting not so much Celtic joining the English league, but Celtic having a team in England. It is perfectly feasible to have an owner with teams in different countries and I think Watford's situation is a good example as they have umpteen loanees from affiliated club(s) in Spain/Italy.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 11:29:28 PM »

Celtic are an Irish team playing in Scotland, that spend their time hating the union and England. You can't have your cake and eat it, not from here, not wanted.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 12:17:55 AM »

The reason why this notion of the "Celtic brethren" supporting their own club will fail is essentially there is no such thing except in the imaginations of silly old men from America. More pertinently those of us who would presumably qualify as one of it's number aren't likely to fall for such a lot of patronising guff from a plainly deluded numpty. So there.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 08:08:02 AM »

The reason why this notion of the "Celtic brethren" supporting their own club will fail is essentially there is no such thing except in the imaginations of silly old men from America. More pertinently those of us who would presumably qualify as one of it's number aren't likely to fall for such a lot of patronising guff from a plainly deluded numpty. So there.

I am hardly going to fall for this one considering the missery of supporting Alty and kidding myself for nearly 50 years that we will be a FL club ;)
I also think you are the right person to advise Cruikshank and other ignorant posters that Glasgow Celtic is not an exclusively Irish Catholic club. Celtic does draw support from Ireland, more so because of the exclusion imposed by Rangers.

fuertes

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 08:17:47 AM »

If Wales can have teams in the English league, why cant Scotland?
At present Celtic would be a championship side but the extra revenue generated would give them the facility to develop.
Celtic have a lot to thank Fergus McCann for when he laid down the foundations, and was ridiculed at the time for not throwing money at players like Rangers did.
There should be a British Premier League and also one Great Britain national side (the 3 British countries and the Channel Islands/IOM) which must start as a bottom seed to qualify for World Cups and the Euro's.

I am afraid that Scottish Football died as a result of the mismanagement of Rangers.
However this topic has nothing to do with Alty and hopefully never will have.

The Wales situation is a bit different though. Welsh teams were always allowed in the English pyramid because there was no professional Welsh league.

As for three British countries - I think you'll find Northern Ireland remains part of the UK. Fair play, we're awful. But our birth right hasn't been completely sold down the river just yet.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Celtic nation