PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Do the team rely too much on Watmore?
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do the team rely too much on Watmore?  (Read 5025 times)

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Do the team rely too much on Watmore?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 09:19:18 AM »

Doughty at left back please unless we sign a new one

Robins Retweet

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 09:29:36 AM »

I know lee may have his worries about watmore defensively but again for me lee is playing the players in wrong positions, for me duncans best work is on the wing so that is where he should play, he should never be holding the ball up he should be making the wingers run, he seems to be confused with lawrie also and where to play him, jordan sinnot is looking like a carry bag loan and i dont want to start on the defence!

I notice a lot of stray not-arsed passes too so not quite the play off side yet.
George Heslop is quite adamant that Duncan's best position is as a central striker, and he should know ! Yes, he plays well out wide, but I believe he's so talented and committed that he'd do a job anywhere on the field.
thats all well and good and George is entitled to think that, but duncans playing for the first team now against tough centre backs that will give him a kick, he needs the ball to feet and to run at players not to be chasing balls over the top and getting clattered.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:52:26 PM by Robins Retweet »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 03:49:31 PM »

The second half was excruciating.

Exactly.

I cannot think of a more apposite adjective to sum up that ordeal.

Now I know what enduring waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay whilst being forced to listen to Celine Dion on repeat must be like.

Our worst performance against an outfield player in goal since the infamous 2-1 home defeat versus Cheltenham Town at Moss Lane back in January 1979, when the visitors' diminutive striker, Dave Lewis, wore the No.1 shirt.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 03:56:55 PM »

Right from kick off in the second half, it was as if they were told just to keep possesion, problem I have with that is were not good enough to do it for 45mins and we should have taken the game to them, 2-2 would not have been a suprise
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Robin Reliant

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 04:31:57 PM »

Wasn't at the match, so can't comment on yesterday, but grinding out a 0-0 2nd half to get all 3 points is something
 we haven't been very good at lately.

Many times having a player sent off proves to be a disadvantage to the other team.
How many times have we seen 10 men play better than 11? (in general, not just against us)

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 05:47:14 PM by Alty Mon »

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 06:23:46 PM »

Right from kick off in the second half, it was as if they were told just to keep possesion, problem I have with that is were not good enough to do it for 45mins and we should have taken the game to them, 2-2 would not have been a suprise

I can assure you, having spent some time in the vicinity of the dugout, that what the players were doing did not equate to what the Manager and his Assistant wanted them to do. This point was made forcefully and vocally on a significant number of occasions. I don't recall seeing/hearing Mr Sinnot being quite so animated at any point in his tenure as he was yesterday.

In principle, retaining possession and trying to move the nine outfield players about to tire them and make some space, is the correct thing to do, it just seemed that the players were retaining possession in the wrong areas.

bumble

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 06:32:51 PM »

I can assure you, having spent some time in the vicinity of the dugout, that what the players were doing did not equate to what the Manager and his Assistant wanted them to do. This point was made forcefully and vocally on a significant number of occasions. I don't recall seeing/hearing Mr Sinnot being quite so animated at any point in his tenure as he was yesterday.
In principle, retaining possession and trying to move the nine outfield players about to tire them and make some space, is the correct thing to do, it just seemed that the players were retaining possession in the wrong areas.

I agree

I walked round through the main stand as I didnt fancy walking through celebrating stalybridge fans... the boy sinott was being screamed at at one point

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 06:50:13 PM »

I can assure you, having spent some time in the vicinity of the dugout, that what the players were doing did not equate to what the Manager and his Assistant wanted them to do. This point was made forcefully and vocally on a significant number of occasions.

Alas, not forcefully or persuasively enough though, as the players didn't appear to take a blind bit of notice of the various bellowings and gesticulations of frustration emanating from the Alty bench!

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 06:56:33 PM »

True, Phil, but you are overlooking one other key element: not only had Stalybridge been reduced to ten men but they were playing an outfield player in goal.

We hardly tested him at all.
Why?

Surely the opportunity was there to go for a third goal and put the match to bed, rather than inducing that agonising conclusion to the game when the spectre of a late Stalybridge equaliser loomed?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 08:03:39 PM »

With regards to the thread title I'd say that Clee is our most influential player but yes we rely a lot on Watmore.

Nothing wrong with that, he's turning into a good player but my worry is that he is becoming more pivotal than an 18 year old kid in his first full season should be. We need reinforcements this month quite seriously in my view.

No idea if it could be done but the type of player we need (or one type) for me would be Workingtons winger who ripped us apart on either flank. Got to be worth ringing Ken McKenna and asking when he's due back at Morecambe from his loan and then us getting him?

RocketDan

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 08:57:59 PM »

I'm sure Real Madrid would miss Ronaldo  etc. etc.

Watmore and Clee give us a direct attacking threat which is very suited to our style of play.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Do the team rely too much on Watmore?