PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Duncan Protection
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Author Topic: Duncan Protection  (Read 22558 times)

whopper

Re: Duncan Protection
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 07:58:47 PM »

I really cannot believe how short sighted people are.

I agree with ATS he has basicaly expanded on my own thoughts and saved me alot of typing.

You dont play a player for 30 mins against fresh opposition and use one of you subs inside the first half. Your play him in the last 30 mins when the that opposition is weaker and tired. Any idiot can deduce that i am sure.
so on saturday if duncan is fit do you think he should start?

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 08:06:38 PM »

Would Ryan Giggs have had a long career at Man Utd if he was playing every game when he was 17?
They really should be beating teams like us

Jenga

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2012, 08:10:38 PM »

I really cannot believe how short sighted people are.

I agree with ATS he has basicaly expanded on my own thoughts and saved me alot of typing.

You dont play a player for 30 mins against fresh opposition and use one of you subs inside the first half. Your play him in the last 30 mins when the that opposition is weaker and tired. Any idiot can deduce that i am sure.
so on saturday if duncan is fit do you think he should start?
Yes of course he should play and start if fully fit.

Question is will he fit and will his growing spurt be over, and the answer to that is probably not.

whopper

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2012, 08:21:22 PM »

Would Ryan Giggs have had a long career at Man Utd if he was playing every game when he was 17?
duncans 18, and giggs made 51 appearances for united in the season he turned 18. Was probebly hitting his peak as a winger.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 08:25:16 PM by Ridgeway Rocket »

Bath Alty

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »

On the plus side the fans are objecting and asking for an explanation and as a result the manager comes out and explains his thinking- whether we agree with that thinking or not it has to be a good thing that he is listening and responding.

Compare with Arsenal "Why didn't you buy anyone decent?" has been asked for years and I don't think Mr Wenger has said much on the topic and many other clubs too.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2012, 08:33:24 PM »

Whether people agree with it or not, it seems that LS has no intentions of playing Duncan Watmore every week, certainly not from the start of games anyway. If LS does not see Duncan as one of his "main men" in midfield yet, does he therefore intend to bring someone in who will do a job and play week in/week out? Or will we just keep having this same situation occurring whereby we have only our best starting XI on the pitch every other week or so?

Looking at it in the fairest way I can, our fans obviously want to see us get out of this league as soon as possible as they have a real passion to see us have another crack at the BSP. I think there is a perception among some of these individuals that LS does not share this burning desire to get promoted this season, which in turn is causing frustration and disillusionment. It's not just the fact that Watmore isn't playing every minute of every game, but the perceived apathy of LS (not the case in my opinion) towards our promotion challenge this season. Again, I'm not having a pop at LS but I'm quite curious as to his intentions in the immediate future. I think a lot of our fans would be reassured by a couple of good signings, as this would at least be some sort of statement of intent that we're leaving no stone unturned in our quest for promotion.

Come on Alty!

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2012, 08:38:14 PM »

I'm sick and tired of ignorant people on here thinking they know better than football professionals.  The manager has made a statement about  Duncan which as far as I am concerned makes total sense and is probably what most ordinary thinking people were following anyway .Do those of you who have older teenage boys think they are as strong and durable  and can play 90 mins against grown men? Besides the lad is working towards a degree and needs time for that too which is of more importance, there is no guarantee of a football career.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

RocketDan

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2012, 08:39:47 PM »

Maybe not for thirty minutes, but he could play the first half or maybe the first hour. Depends which way you look at it, I'd rather see us go out firing in the first half, put teams to bed early, have the match comfortably won by the hour mark and then rest our best players as an where necessary.

If you look a games this season, we tend to do better when Duncan starts than when he comes off the bench (see below). Whilst it is true the opposition will be tired in the last 30 minutes, so will the other Alty players. As a rule of thumb, games start of quite tight as everyone is fresh and working hard, by having more position in the first half the opposition will tire quicker as they spend most of the time chasing the ball.

Bringing on Duncan when we are losing may sound like a good idea as he certainly had the ability to create a goalscoring opportunity, but seeing as his team mates are fatigued, he has to work harder to cover for them - this also leaves us vulnerable to counter attacks and conceding late goals.

I seem to remember United doing something similar and resting all their best players, then bringing them with half an hour to go when they were a goal down. They spent most of the time chasing the ball rather than effectively using it, something that would have been possible if they started.

anyway: stats with and without Duncan in our starting lineup this season:

When Duncan starts:
15 points from 9 games. (1.67 ppg)

When Duncan comes off the bench:
4 points from 5 games. (0.80 ppg)

Jimmy

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2012, 08:44:52 PM »

I'm sick and tired of ignorant people on here thinking they know better than football professionals.  The manager has made a statement about  Duncan which as far as I am concerned makes total sense and is probably what most ordinary thinking people were following anyway .Do those of you who have older teenage boys think they are as strong and durable  and can play 90 mins against grown men? Besides the lad is working towards a degree and needs time for that too which is of more importance, there is no guarantee of a football career.
As fans of alty we want our team to get promotion this won't happen if Duncan isn't playing I can't be arsed being technical

taxi Phil

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2012, 08:56:26 PM »

OK, so we're a one man team. If he starts at Brackley and gets a bad injury in the first ten minutes our season is over before Xmas. There's more absolute bollocks on this thread than I got from my Bluenose colleagues on Monday morning. And that is a Hell of a lot of bollocks.

fuertes

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2012, 08:59:22 PM »

OK, so we're a one man team. If he starts at Brackley and gets a bad injury in the first ten minutes our season is over before Xmas. There's more absolute bollocks on this thread than I got from my Bluenose colleagues on Monday morning. And that is a Hell of a lot of bollocks.

Correct. But to be fair, most of it is coming from 2 or 3 trolls.

Jimmy

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2012, 09:06:05 PM »

Come on phil I'm not saying we're a one man team we have a decent team do Barcelona leave out messi because they have other decent players

Jimmy

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2012, 09:07:50 PM »

Correct. But to be fair, most of it is coming from 2 or 3 trolls.
Not a troll mate just pissed of that the team I support is underachieving

whopper

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2012, 09:21:50 PM »

So should we start watmore on saturday then... :D

whopper

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2012, 09:31:56 PM »

so whats the forum here for then? Who said anything about duncan playing 90 mins every week?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Duncan Protection