PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 AGM report on main site
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: AGM report on main site  (Read 11687 times)

JDN

Re: AGM report on main site
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 01:46:32 PM »

Ultimately the main point is that we have a club called Altrincham FC to support, the league we play in is of secondary importance.
We are lucky to have a board (and supporters) that realise that.
The league we play in is of secondary importance? Really? Do you believe that?

Now I see why some are happy with mid table BSN

Jezza

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 01:56:12 PM »

i think the point is we'd rather know we have club to support next year and finish mid table bsn than win the conference and go bust....in which case the league is secondary however that does not stop anyone believing we can succeed on a shoestring

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 02:05:22 PM »

Ultimately the main point is that we have a club called Altrincham FC to support, the league we play in is of secondary importance.
We are lucky to have a board (and supporters) that realise that.
The league we play in is of secondary importance? Really? Do you believe that?

Now I see why some are happy with mid table BSN

I fail to see how anyone can argue with that point.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 03:47:20 PM »

The league we play in is massively important, the longer our stay was last time we were down here the less people came to watch, simple as that. We are a football club not a collection of chartered accountants.Im all for balancing the books, but there's self worth also. These crowds of 750 won't hang around if our relegationesque home form isn't sorted out sharpish. It's taken years to build back to where we are now, and it can all drop off again very quickly. The league campaign has been poor and inconsistent just like last season to date. Except this time last season we were a point better off and had just signed jack redshaw. Personally I expect a poor return from the next two games, but we should be claiming six points if we want to start to close this ever increasing gap. A failure to make the playoffs for a second season running would be a complete and utter disaster.

Jenga

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 04:00:39 PM »

whats the point in making money if we are going to finish mid table.

progress before profits.

To be fair, the profit made last year equated to a whopping fifty quid a week. The year before was a 60 grand loss and the typical profits over the last few years have been four figures.  It's not as if they have been stockpiling cash.

Lets re-sign Joe O'Neil and break even.

Maybe not Joe O'Neil, but £50 a week would have paid for some young lad to sit on our substitute bench on a pay as you play basis.

You are surely not suggesting that we have held on to club funds instead of signing players for £2,500?

JDN

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 05:52:32 PM »

i think the point is we'd rather know we have club to support next year and finish mid table bsn than win the conference and go bust....in which case the league is secondary however that does not stop anyone believing we can succeed on a shoestring
This old chestnut

Or should I say excuse for failure

Our budget is more than enough to be competitive in this league, the manager has said as much. So no more of this shoestring bollocks

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 06:08:38 PM »

Surely the point of choosing a manager is to get one who can out-perform their budget?

If all that matters is budget then we may as well just print the weekly wage bill of each club and compile a table based on that.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

RocketDan

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 07:10:05 PM »

progress before profits.

To be fair, the profit made last year equated to a whopping fifty quid a week. The year before was a 60 grand loss and the typical profits over the last few years have been four figures.  It's not as if they have been stockpiling cash.

Maybe not Joe O'Neil, but £50 a week would have paid for some young lad to sit on our substitute bench on a pay as you play basis.

You are surely not suggesting that we have held on to club funds instead of signing players for £2,500?

we regularly do not field a full quota of substitutes, the club made a (small) profit last year.

How many clubs are in this position.

It baffles me.

RocketDan

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 07:28:45 PM »

We knew there was an overspend the previous season, so last year the aim was to stay within budget, Full marks to all concerned for achieving that aim.

NEXT year, we will be financially fitter and able to progress in BSP should we run through to the playoffs THIS year  :)

Does the "surplus" of approximately £2.5k for the financial year of 2011-12 take into account of covering for / paying off the £60k loss for the 2010-11 financial year? I assumed it would owing to the boards history of clearing debt. If that is the case, our playing budget for last season would have been massively impacted.

Anyway, back to my point anyway, was why not continue to operate at a break even point but make it back by gaining promotion. Assuming that the loss we made in 10/11 was due to signing extra players in our attempt to avoid relegation, why not do the same thing but in an attempt to gain promotion.

I'm not an accountant so I don't really understand the ins-and-outs, but hopefully we will have enough money from the cup run to pay off any outstanding debt and build a really good squad for a big play-off promotion push this season.

Jenga

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 07:32:07 PM »

progress before profits.

we regularly do not field a full quota of substitutes, the club made a (small) profit last year.

How many clubs are in this position.

It baffles me.

This figurs was to May 2012. Not December 2012. The money would easily have been spent over the summer on improvements, kits, balls, etc etc. I dont recall us needing many players to cover the bench during June, July and August.

Also remember all those away games where the club would not receive any income until a few weeks or possibly month or so later. I think if you are suggesting the £2500 should have been spent to cover bench for the last few weeks when we have had 4 subs you are being a little blinkered to the wider picture.

Also the club has advised LS he has money to spend. Imagine if he rushed to get a player he didnt really want and he was rubbish, how would you view LS then? He needs to decide who he wants and that may not happen until the transfer window / new year, we just dont know what goes on behind the scenes.

Are we really discussing the values of £2,500 from May????

Jimmy

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 07:37:38 PM »

The league we play in is massively important, the longer our stay was last time we were down here the less people came to watch, simple as that. We are a football club not a collection of chartered accountants.Im all for balancing the books, but there's self worth also. These crowds of 750 won't hang around if our relegationesque home form isn't sorted out sharpish. It's taken years to build back to where we are now, and it can all drop off again very quickly. The league campaign has been poor and inconsistent just like last season to date. Except this time last season we were a point better off and had just signed jack redshaw. Personally I expect a poor return from the next two games, but we should be claiming six points if we want to start to close this ever increasing gap. A failure to make the playoffs for a second season running would be a complete and utter disaster.
Indeed it's very impressive we've made a small profit but this is a top quality post spot on pete

markecky

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 07:59:27 PM »

Good post Pete but I don't understand the bit in bold?  What are the options other than balancing the books?

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 08:11:29 PM »

Balancing the books and challenging for the playoffs should not be mutually exclusive events. The board have done a supremely good job of steadying the ship (once again) after the deficit from last year. They have also made it very clear that funds are now available to the manager to strengthen the squad.

Therefore, it's now over to the manager to deliver his side of the bargain. Aside from a few dissenting voices on here, I think the majority of us have given Lee the benefit of the doubt, but we're going to need a really barnstorming second half to this season if we're to achieve our short term aim of reaching the playoff places and staying there. We've done good things on our travels this season and had a decent cup run, but that is currently offset by some truly woeful home form. I believe, barring 2 or 3 additions, the nucleus of a good squad is already basically there, so it's not all doom and gloom. We've got no more room for cock-ups though, or our season could effectively be over by the end of January if we don't step things up.
Come on Alty!

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 09:00:43 PM »

Given our small squad how likely is it we will have a very impressive second half of the season?

Injuries and general fatigue will catch up with us.

Also, although we have a load of home games coming up against mid and lower table teams, we also have to play away games against the current top five.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 09:05:07 PM »

I did say that we need more players.
Come on Alty!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 AGM report on main site