PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 SAM - Sinnott faces striker selection dilemma
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: SAM - Sinnott faces striker selection dilemma  (Read 7534 times)

RocketDan

Re: SAM - Sinnott faces striker selection dilemma
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 11:47:03 AM »

My personal opinion is we play great football on the eye however we don't seem to win or even draw when things go wrong maybe a lack of character which I feel could be down to the manager hopefully come may we go up and I'm wrong

I I take on Jimmys point that we do struggle when the chips are down and worry that we will turn into a non-league Arsenal. Ie. we play attractive football but struggle when the going gets tough and ultimately not win trophies etc.

I don't agree however that this mental toughness and character should come from the top down and believe its more to do with the players themselves rather than the manager. You must remember the average age of our outfield players is still rather young. ( 23 perhaps). When the going gets tough, you could argue that Young lads aren't as mentally tough as a team filled with 30 year old journeymen but I too their credit they are far more enthusiastic and willing to work than a seasoned professional who is just looking for his last pay cheque in an aging career.

On the whole I think we need one or two more senior players to help guide the younger players both in training and in games. To help bring a sense a maturity and menatl toughness to the team. Sadly there is no quick fix or a mental gym to help players improve their determination and bravery; our team can only learn through experience.

whopper

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 12:08:59 PM »

to think that we have'nt really improved after twiss going is a bit depressing  :-\

Jimmy

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »

My personal opinion is we play great football on the eye however we don't seem to win or even draw when things go wrong maybe a lack of character which I feel could be down to the manager hopefully come may we go up and I'm wrong

I I take on Jimmys point that we do struggle when the chips are down and worry that we will turn into a non-league Arsenal. Ie. we play attractive football but struggle when the going gets tough and ultimately not win trophies etc.

I don't agree however that this mental toughness and character should come from the top down and believe its more to do with the players themselves rather than the manager. You must remember the average age of our outfield players is still rather young. ( 23 perhaps). When the going gets tough, you could argue that Young lads aren't as mentally tough as a team filled with 30 year old journeymen but I too their credit they are far more enthusiastic and willing to work than a seasoned professional who is just looking for his last pay cheque in an aging career.

On the whole I think we need one or two more senior players to help guide the younger players both in training and in games. To help bring a sense a maturity and menatl toughness to the team. Sadly there is no quick fix or a mental gym to help players improve their determination and bravery; our team can only learn through experience.
To be fair dan I did say could be down to the manager and not is down to the manager

Jenga

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 12:27:17 PM »

to think that we have'nt really improved after twiss going is a bit depressing  :-\

What? we play much better now.

whopper

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 01:11:34 PM »

What? we play much better now.
if you consider conceding a lot but scoring a lot as better then its not really is it, the league table does'nt lie

Jimmy

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 04:53:40 PM »

To be fair ridgeway we do play very good football however you could argue its no good having a beautiful wife if she dosent shag you

taxi Phil

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 05:19:39 PM »

To be fair ridgeway we do play very good football however you could argue its no good having a beautiful wife if she dosent shag you
Especially if she shags your mates, and can't cook  ;)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 10:32:13 PM »

On the subject of Lee Sinnott, I remember meeting him away at Harrogate Town in his very first game as manager. I think he knew me from his first open meeting as he recognised me and started talking to me. he was surprised when I told him I reckoned we would get 250 plus to his first game, which we did. I spoke for a few minutes to him and found him quite approachable and a genuine nice guy, an opinion I still have.

On the whole Ifeel Lee is doing fine, he will find a way to improve our home form, but I sometimes find our fans a little over-critical of him on occasions, when I feel it is more down to the players. see what happens the rest of the season, but lets give him the chance. The club is now on a stable footing, new players have come in like Scott Leather, who shows promise for the future, especially for his age. Also our finances are better thanks to Lees guidance in the FA Cup. we can build on our season starting at home this weekend. Other players such as Ryan Brooke and Danny Mitchley will improve given the chances.

See you Saturday

Steve from Sale

Get back in yer box!

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 12:50:29 PM »

On the subject of Lee Sinnott...  ...I spoke for a few minutes to him and found him quite approachable and a genuine nice guy, an opinion I still have.
On the whole I feel Lee is doing fine...
...Other players such as Ryan Brooke and Danny Mitchley will improve given the chances.

See you Saturday
Steve from Sale

Just to add a voice of support to Steve's considered post...

There are too many far too scathing posts about Lee, Ryan and Danny.  A bit of realism please, perhaps?  For Lee, stick goes with the territory, but for Ryan and Danny I can't see that all the stick they get is going to help them improve.  It reminds me of all the Michael Twiss hate posts, totally over the top.  Not all players are as gifted as Duncan undoubtedly is and we are Alty not ManU / City.  Lets hope Lee, Danny and Ryan keep improving then we really will have a striking dilemma and we will get out of this 'tin-pot' league as some call it! :)

Hugo

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 12:56:39 PM »

On the whole Ifeel Lee is doing fine, he will find a way to improve our home form, but I sometimes find our fans a little over-critical of him on occasions, when I feel it is more down to the players. see what happens the rest of the season, but lets give him the chance. The club is now on a stable footing, new players have come in like Scott Leather, who shows promise for the future, especially for his age. Also our finances are better thanks to Lees guidance in the FA Cup. we can build on our season starting at home this weekend. Other players such as Ryan Brooke and Danny Mitchley will improve given the chances.

Good post that Steve. I suspect there's a lot of fans that share your view.

whopper

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 02:37:10 PM »

Lets be fair.

if he's got us around play off territory then 'OK can see progression with the team lets give u another season',

if he's not anywhere near the play offs come the end of the season then 'cheers for the journey lee'
 :D

JDN

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 07:17:32 PM »

I see Boston have just sacked their manager, who currently we have one more point than and were behind in the table before Saturday

Interesting

taxi Phil

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 07:46:11 PM »

I see Boston have just sacked their manager, who currently we have one more point than and were behind in the table before Saturday

Interesting
No surprise. They're in shocking form just now.

JDN

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 07:56:15 PM »

Knee jerk

They one point behind us

Hamilton

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 11:00:42 PM »

I can see Boston wanting to have a look at Lee - Hull is closer to Boston than Alty and our victories over Boston will have made an impression - but I think Lee has a plan for a couple of years if you look at the youthfulness of the squad and the contracts offered to Leather and Watmore.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 SAM - Sinnott faces striker selection dilemma