PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 SAM - Sinnott faces striker selection dilemma
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: SAM - Sinnott faces striker selection dilemma  (Read 7533 times)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: December 04, 2012, 08:26:54 PM »

LEE Sinnott saluted his special reserves after seeing Altrincham launch a crucial month of Blue Square Bet North fixtures with a morale-boosting 3-2 win at Boston United.

Boosted by his first goal in Altrincham colours, in the previous game against Hinckley United, fringe striker Ryan Brooke continued to look a capable deputy for the injured James Lawrie, with a prominent role in a deserved win that lifted Sinnott’s side to within four points of the play-off places.

Lawrie is expected to be fit for Saturday’s home game with Gainsborough Trinity, but Sinnott admitted he faces a selection dilemma as he paid tribute to the patience and perseverance of Brooke and fellow-striker Danny Mitchley.

"It has been difficult for both lads, because the complexion of our strike force suddenly changed when Damian Reeves came back to us just a couple of weeks before the season started," said the Alty manager.

"It wasn’t rocket science that he was going to play, and when James slotted into a more central role, that gave us a further dimension up front.

"Unfortunately for Ryan and Danny, it meant fewer opportunities for them, and they have been left kicking their heels a bit. No-one can really quibble with our goalscoring record, but it has been difficult and frustrating for those two lads.

‘But they have both been patient and shown a great attitude, and I thought Ryan was excellent at Boston. You have to remember he is still only a young lad of 21 who has just come out of the professional game, but his work-rate and desire has been first class. He may not have scored at Boston, but he was instrumental in us securing all three points. He has put pressure on that position in attack, and that’s what you want."

Sinnott urged his side to make home advantage count, after just nine points out of 21 at Moss Lane this season, compared to a remarkable record of eight wins and three draws from 14 League and Cup games on their travels.

"We are facing a really congested month, and it is going to be a big ask for the squad," he said.

"But we know the importance of it, because when games are coming thick and fast, league positions can change rapidly. It’s a psychological test for the players, after so many away games, but I mean that in a positive manner, because it really is a great opportunity.

"It’s the flip side from last season, when you consider we have won three and lost four at home, but when you have got a young squad who are maturing and developing, there will be faults that need ironing out. One is getting our home form back on track. That is paramount."

Lawrie and Carl Rodgers are hopeful of being fit, but Danny Hall serves a one-match ban.

Come on Alty!

JDN

Re: SAM - Sinnott faces striker selection dilemma
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 09:18:50 PM »

LS really is a bigger idiot than I thought he was

All looks good in the press but means zip

He been playing football manager to much

JDN

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 09:23:46 PM »

If he really thinks he has a striker dilemma he should be shot

markecky

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 09:30:07 PM »

He doesn't write the headlines, if you read his quotes he is just saying that both players have been patient in waiting for a chance and that Ryan is still a young player who he thought did his job well on Saturday.

He then talks of how we much we need to improve the home form.

What exactly is he meant to say in the press?

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:37:17 PM »

He doesn't write the headlines, if you read his quotes he is just saying that both players have been patient in waiting for a chance and that Ryan is still a young player who he thought did his job well on Saturday.

He then talks of how we much we need to improve the home form.

What exactly is he meant to say in the press?

This. He's hardly going to come out and say 'The sooner Lawrie gets fit again, the better and he will go straight back into the side'. We can all argue all day and all night about his tactics, management style etc, but I think in terms of his handle of the Press he's spot on. Honest to say we're poor, and gives praise when we're good but keeps feet on the ground and take one game at a time.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

PeterJ

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 09:44:15 PM »

LS really is a bigger idiot than I thought he was

All looks good in the press but means zip

He been playing football manager to much

perhaps you have? have you ever even been in a football dressingroom or managed a team even in a sunday league? he is encouraging his players.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 11:14:12 PM »

Can't see brooke starting instead of lawrie on sat

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 01:22:26 AM »

What do you expect him to say in the press? "We're sh*t and we know we are!" Give Lee Sinnott a break, he shows professionalism and motivates the players and fans.

Jimmy

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 07:02:02 AM »

Granted he made the correct statement in the press but does he really inspire the team and the supporters

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 08:21:31 AM »

You Know what , i dont think some people will ever be happy about Lee , whatever he says . our best cup run for years , still in a good position to launch an attack for promotion , lets give him and the team some support instead of keep ripping into him every time he talks to the SAM ,which is hardly a top class paper .

markecky

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 09:06:39 AM »

I don’t know what he does to the players in the dressing room so I don’t think anyone can comment on that unless they are a player.  I’m sure like with any manager, some love him, some don’t care who is boss as long as their money is there and some think he does things wrong.

I think he is a fairly quiet bloke outside of the dressing room and I suppose it depends what you want from a manager.  I have always thought he has said pretty much what I was thinking in the press, if we’ve been poor he has said it rather than saying “we did well” when everyone thought we were shocking.

Personally I’d rather have a manager who was a bit distant than one who wanted to fight me every time anyone questioned anything.

He could do a lot more to get closer to the fans for sure although maybe we are so used to having managers who are in the fabric of the club that when ones comes in and does his job and goes home then it looks like he is being distant.  He should certainly have attended one of the new recruits night by now.

I’ve never spoken to the bloke and I remain 50/50 on whether he is the man to get us where we want to be but I do think he is getting some unfair criticism in amongst the valid gripes that we have.

Jimmy

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 09:22:32 AM »

Good point eck however you don't have to be a fly on the wall in the dressing room the way they play is evidence of his motivational team talks
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:25:37 AM by Jimmy »

markecky

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 09:53:41 AM »

I hionestly haven't heard anyone mention motivation or lack of it? 

Do you think that's an issue Jim? Interested to hear your view on that mate...

If I had to list things we could improve/improve I'd have starting Duncan more, not always agreeing with his subs and strengthening the depth of the squad.

I think when we have lost games this season it's been on the whole because of players beign below par (which happens) and some of the above.

Jimmy

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 10:22:35 AM »

My personal opinion is we play great football on the eye however we don't seem to win or even draw when things go wrong maybe a lack of character which I feel could be down to the manager hopefully come may we go up and I'm wrong

markecky

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 10:26:45 AM »

My personal opinion is we play great football on the eye however we don't seem to win or even draw when things go wrong maybe a lack of character which I feel could be down to the manager hopefully come may we go up and I'm wrong

See what you mean mate.  There is that element, Solihull being a big example of it I guess.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team