PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Different world..
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Different world..  (Read 9173 times)

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
Re: Different world..
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 09:32:51 AM »

The move from Blackburn to City has killed his managerial career. QPR is a poor mans Real Madrid 'Galaticos', a group of good individual players, but no fight or spirit of a team.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Jimmy

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 09:56:08 AM »

Nobody is surprised by RDM, surely? Chelsea have always been a horrid football club and now they have a trigger-happy bat sh*t insane owner. It'd have been a miracle if he'd lasted the season.

Appointing Benitez though... :D :D :D

Bit bizarre your laughing at a man who has won the best league in the world and won the european cup but your defending hughes

fuertes

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 11:07:33 AM »

Bit bizarre your laughing at a man who has won the best league in the world and won the european cup but your defending hughes

Benitez has his strengths. His tactical awareness is certainly good and his achievements with Valencia impressive.

However, his last two jobs involved absolutely ruining Liverpool (left them 7th in the league, outside the CL with a poor squad) and in a few short months also ruining the Inter team that had conquered all and sundry the season before.

I'm laughing at the appointment because Chelsea have just sacked a manager that had won them two cups and was doing pretty well in the league. If they think Benitez is the answer given his recent track record with really big teams with big expectations, I'd suggest they're sorely mistaken. In fact, despite defending Hughes against accusations of being "crap", I'd also laugh my head off if they'd appointed him.

Hamilton

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 12:08:11 PM »

Benitez has his strengths. His tactical awareness is certainly good and his achievements with Valencia impressive.

However, his last two jobs involved absolutely ruining Liverpool (left them 7th in the league, outside the CL with a poor squad) and in a few short months also ruining the Inter team that had conquered all and sundry the season before.

I'm laughing at the appointment because Chelsea have just sacked a manager that had won them two cups and was doing pretty well in the league. If they think Benitez is the answer given his recent track record with really big teams with big expectations, I'd suggest they're sorely mistaken. In fact, despite defending Hughes against accusations of being "crap", I'd also laugh my head off if they'd appointed him.

maybe they employed Benitez to make the next manager look better!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 12:17:38 PM »

Did he absolutely ruin Liverpool? Not sure they were that much better when he took over, a bit yes but he did win them the CL (and runners up) and the FA Cup. I think a Liverpool fan would say it was Hicks & Gillet who ruined them.  Benitez's time ha djust run out I think.

But in answer to the original question, we've only had 4 managers in 17 years so yes.

whopper

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 12:37:17 PM »

Did he absolutely ruin Liverpool? Not sure they were that much better when he took over, a bit yes but he did win them the CL (and runners up) and the FA Cup. I think a Liverpool fan would say it was Hicks & Gillet who ruined them.  Benitez's time ha djust run out I think.

But in answer to the original question, we've only had 4 managers in 17 years so yes.
4 in 17 years bloody hell we must be a poor managers dream.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 01:15:33 PM »

It's a great stat. Not actually true though.

fuertes

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 01:27:32 PM »

They were a CL team when he took over. Hence having the chance to have a crack at it in his first season. And even then, the consensus was that Houllier had underachieved in his last season or two.

He certainly left them in a poorer state than he found them. Blaming the (admittedly awful) owners doesn't really cut it. He still had money and he still coached the players. Annoying and ultimately having to sell Xabi Alonso as part of a mad quest to sign Gareth Barry has to be one of the most embarrassing transfer episodes in Liverpool's history.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 08:07:06 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

You are right. However, a Liverpool fan will always blame someone else as its Scouse mentality that nothing is ever their own fault. The problem with Liverpool has not been the managers or even directors, but their supporters and you can see this with all the empty Anfield seats these days. They are obsessed with and jealous of the continuing success at Manchester United, who have dominated British football for the past 20 years on similar financial resources/backers.

From an Alty perspective, we do not have the money to be hiring and firing managers at will. I am envious of the likes of Fleetwood, AFC Wimbledon, Wigan and Stevenage and I have always wanted to see Altrincham as a Football League Club. On the other hand, I would not want to risk going the same way as Maidstone, Scarborough, Vics and soon to follow these will be Macc.

Jimmy

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 09:01:07 AM »

Bit odd you can't blame the fans for the sides lack of success besides do they have many empty seats from an alty point are club is financially in a good state and I'm not sure it's a lack of ambition I find it wrong choices

Hamilton

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 10:05:47 AM »

[/quote]

You are right. However, a Liverpool fan will always blame someone else as its Scouse mentality that nothing is ever their own fault. The problem with Liverpool has not been the managers or even directors, but their supporters and you can see this with all the empty Anfield seats these days. They are obsessed with and jealous of the continuing success at Manchester United, who have dominated British football for the past 20 years on similar financial resources/backers.

From an Alty perspective, we do not have the money to be hiring and firing managers at will. I am envious of the likes of Fleetwood, AFC Wimbledon, Wigan and Stevenage and I have always wanted to see Altrincham as a Football League Club. On the other hand, I would not want to risk going the same way as Maidstone, Scarborough, Vics and soon to follow these will be Macc.

[/quote]

There is some truth in this.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 04:35:45 PM »

It's a game of two halves
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 05:49:26 PM »

You're quite right Leon, I totally and utterly forgot anout Mark Ward. I went King- Taylor - Heatchote - Sinnott. When in fact it's King-Taylor-Ward-Taylor-Heathcote-Sinnott (I think!) So 6 managers (5 people), still fairly stable though.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 05:51:39 PM »

You're quite right Leon, I totally and utterly forgot anout Mark Ward. I went King- Taylor - Heatchote - Sinnott. When in fact it's King-Taylor-Ward-Taylor-Heathcote-Sinnott (I think!) So 6 managers (5 people), still fairly stable though.

Ballers,

How could you forget Ken McKenna...?!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Different world..