News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 All out of proportion?

Author Topic: All out of proportion?  (Read 3341 times)

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
All out of proportion?
« on: March 23, 2007, 04:00:41 PM »

Surely this all being blown out of proportion? We have lost players in the past ellender, ellison, adams, craney, robinson who have all left Moss Lane to further their careers and they have all been replaced. What is most gratifying is to see that these players apart from robinson have forged good football league careers for themselves. Good luck to Lewis who should grasp the opportunity with open arms, instead of thinking about money we should just be proud that one of our youth team products is getting such recognition.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
Re: All out of proportion?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 04:14:49 PM »

To be honest, one of the very main reasons for a small club to develop young players is to make money from them, however gratifying it might feel morally.  Generating money is imperative for this football club to progress.  I'd rather sell a crap player for money than lose a good one for nothing. 

I think its the point about Chalmers not being on a contract that needs to be put into perspective.  He's unfortunately not on a contract, that's life, we have to get on with it.  The number of good players who left us for nothing is probably less than the number of players who had their nice contracts but did nothing in hindsight to earn them and ended up being a drain on the club's resources.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 04:17:30 PM by Bob »

teasybeaver

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 04:54:11 PM »

I'd rather sell a crap player for money than lose a good one for nothing. 

Without wanting to pick holes, this is stating something that is quite blatantly obvious! Unless of course you live in the Accrington area (see Torquay chant thread from BBC).

The club shouldn't aim to make money off players, its not consistent and it'll lead to unbalanced books. Its like our seasonal hope for a rewarding cup run, doesn't happen.

I think the club is aiming to be stable without any palyer or cup run windfalls. This allows us to enjoy the players instead of causing all this furore about contracts. Of course, money from these deals is good and can imrove the squad but relying on it is dangerous.

from what i believe we are in a position not to rely on it anymore?

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 05:20:10 PM »

Contracts take me back to the days when mick carmody and leroy chambers sat in the stands reading newspapers during matches. What a wonderful reminder of the Gerry Berman era

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 12:51:23 AM »

Sorry but ii have to disagree. Why have a youth and reserve set up if alty arent going to be able to make money back? The players on contract that we HAVE made money on include Ellender, Adams, Craney, Ellison. Lewis has played very well this season, and looks set to secure a freebie elsewhere. That club will then stick him on a contract AND make money on future transfers. Its called investment, sometimes people invest wisely (craney, ellison et al) sometimes unwisely (chalmers). We should learn from this and move on, we look like loosing one good player for nothing, better make sure it doesnt happen again.

Im certainly NOT saying all players should be on contracts, but some (mainly younger players) should. Alty should aim to make money off their players to develop all areas of the footy club. The four players above have earnt alty over £150000 (a years wage budget?) shouldnt we be investing this way?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 01:50:04 PM by casper »

Altysmiffy

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 09:27:33 AM »

I agree some of the younger players, the hungry ones, should be on contracts. If memory serves Carmody & Chambers had been around for a while & were the sort of players to get money for nowt.

I presume the non contract players are paid per match; if so, can't the contracts be on the same terms with a "Craney" clause; i.e. "If we get an offer of £x then we will let you go"

I appreciate this may not work - though I would like to think there are extenuating circumstances with Bowler ( injury etc) - but may be worth the investment.

Jezza

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 10:34:54 AM »

Have to reply on the Mick Carmody issue here....for me, mentioning Mick Carmody in the same breath as Leroy is totally undeserved. When Mick was sat in the stand injured he was one of the noisiest cimmitted fans you'd meet.

But we can't have it both ways and this is the danger of contracts..the claused contract is a good idea but at the end of the day maybe Stockport are only interested (if they are interested) because they know Lewis will only cost a tribunal fee and is worth a punt...ie if Lewis was contracted maybe they wouldn't take the gamble?..making the clause worthless...maybe a better idea would be to have a clause we'd let you go for a 50% sell on clause??

We can't have it both ways and having certain people on contracts has cost us dear this year and we shouldn't be falling out with players who just want to better themselves and lets face it...we love Alty but the players don't necessarily and to many it's a part time paid interest and Alty don't pay that well!

bighairedmike

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 11:51:38 AM »

Have to reply on the Mick Carmody issue here....for me, mentioning Mick Carmody in the same breath as Leroy is totally undeserved.

I agree some of the younger players, the hungry ones, should be on contracts. If memory serves Carmody & Chambers had been around for a while & were the sort of players to get money for nowt.

mick carmody and leroy chambers sat in the stands reading newspapers during matches

i'm guessin you guys didnt like leroy that much. i remember watchin him when i was younger (bout 8 i fink) an i thort he woz great. was a gd footballer. woz he realli like above or is tht a bit exaggerated?  :-\

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 12:29:47 PM »

Mick Carmody was probably one of the worst watchers of a football match I've ever met.

He didn't just sit in the stand taking the money like some others who have been and could be mentioned - it really hurt Mick not to play and to accuse him of deliberately sitting out his contract and taking the money is both incorrect and unfair

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 01:19:43 PM »

Mick Carmody was probably one of the worst watchers of a football match I've ever met.

He didn't just sit in the stand taking the money like some others who have been and could be mentioned - it really hurt Mick not to play and to accuse him of deliberately sitting out his contract and taking the money is both incorrect and unfair

Im going to agree with phil (shock horror) Carmody at his peak was a great player, he was finished for me though after he elbowed an opponent in a crucial match which we went onto lose :-[
Come on you red and white........

Jezza

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 01:31:33 PM »

Leroy was a great player in our promotion season ..he got plaudits mainly because of his tenacious effort and got a lot of goals through sheer effort and throwing defenders to the ground to get to the ball which endeared him to the fans initially.

After that he just didn't seem interested..there were interested clubs but  he just seemed to sit it out and as soon as his contract was up he was off...he'd be back in for a couple of games..have a stinker and then pick up another mysterious injury.

He did claim an injury to be fair and sometimes players do get injuries that hit their form but carry on playing as if they are fit and just playing awfully and looking lazy ( Niell hardy springs to mind with his hernia problems)  but when the fans stopped their previously enthusiastic support and chanting of "Leroy Leroy" I think there was fairly good reason for it.

Unlike Mick Carmody who had given sterling service to the club and at least always gave 110% even when he was clearly past his best which is sometimes more important to the fans.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 All out of proportion?