News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 RIP Milija Aleksic

Author Topic: RIP Milija Aleksic  (Read 4105 times)

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
RIP Milija Aleksic
« on: October 18, 2012, 08:56:48 PM »

Former Stafford keeper who went on to bigger things, great keeper at our level and above.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/obit-milija-aleksic-18102012.page?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Milija Aleksic
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 09:18:49 PM »

The only player to win the FA Cup and FA Trophy?

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 10:45:51 PM »

Saw him play brilliantly for Stafford against us in the early 70's - not sure if he was in nets for our 1-0 loss at Moss Lane in 73

But I still believe that him replacing Mark Kendall in goals for Spurs for the game at Maine Road against us probably won them the tie.

He was one of two NPL players in that Spurs team - the other being Tony Galvin, ex Goole

temp alty

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 10:49:04 PM »

Sadly before my time but always good to hear the elder Alty fans reminiscing. 

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 11:25:54 PM »

Saw him play brilliantly for Stafford against us in the early 70's - not sure if he was in nets for our 1-0 loss at Moss Lane in 73But I still believe that him replacing Mark Kendall in goals for Spurs for the game at Maine Road against us probably won them the tie.

He was one of two NPL players in that Spurs team - the other being Tony Galvin, ex Goole

I remember that game very well as I was stood along side Jack Pilkington the local Copper who also later emigrated to South Africa.
I thought he was only 17 at the time he palyed against us but obviously I was wrong. I understood that he went to St Patrick's school in Newcastle U Lyme whose Headmaster Bonehead Brennan was sent to BTH in the early 70's. I also thought that Milija was of Croatian origin although a Stoke website says he was Serb.
Milija once came to my travel agency in South Africa to buy travellers cheques. His wife was a Sales Rep for El Al.
R.I.P.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 11:29:25 PM »

Wasn't the local bobby called "Pinkerton"? My Grandpa has told me loads of stories about him.
Come on Alty!

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 12:01:44 AM »

Wasn't the local bobby called "Pinkerton"? My Grandpa has told me loads of stories about him.

Yes - my spelling error, Jack Pinkerton known in Alty as Pinky. He use to stand smoking on the edge of the Golf Road End.
He also had many stories to tell about Alty in particular 'tales of the Broomwood'. He could remember names and addresses of well known Alty characters 10 or even 20 years after he had retired. He also told an audience of ex-pats in the Sundowner pub, in Randburg what the thought of Alty as a football team - humiliating me for being a Robins fan - though years of being a long suffering Alty fan have made my skin thick enough in that regard!!!

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 07:32:37 AM »

Great stuff! I think my Grandpa bumped into him in Timperley village a year or two ago. Jack recognised him despite not having seen him for about 40 years!!  :)
Come on Alty!

thegazelle

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 11:13:22 AM »

Redhill i cant believe you stood next to him to watch a whole match in 1973 , we used to spend all our efforts avoiding said pinky and his colleague PC Maddox.
Thinks back to memories of a packed golf road singing the Laurel and hardy theme tune every time they walked in!!

However i matured and spent a lot of very enjoyable games in the old "Paddock" with a now retired pc maddox. On one occasssion ( Southport in the FA CUP) under the new regime of employed stewards who enforced the very pedantic dont stand on the yellow lines rules. i recall Mr maddox discussing the actual wording of the taylor report (?) and refusing to move thus giving us that had stood there for years the opportunity to ignore the stewards. Shortly afterwards it kicked off in the golf road with most of the stewards stood arguing with us on the premise that we couldnt stand where we had always stood. I was then highly amused to hear Mr maddox proclaim they should be in the golf road stopping the fighting with the real hooligans  and not wasting there time moving  ex hooligans with a finger pointing firmly at me. Woops cover blown.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 07:43:55 PM »

Redhill i cant believe you stood next to him to watch a whole match in 1973 , we used to spend all our efforts avoiding said pinky and his colleague PC Maddox.
Thinks back to memories of a packed golf road singing the Laurel and hardy theme tune every time they walked in!!

However i matured and spent a lot of very enjoyable games in the old "Paddock" with a now retired pc maddox. On one occasssion ( Southport in the FA CUP) under the new regime of employed stewards who enforced the very pedantic dont stand on the yellow lines rules. i recall Mr maddox discussing the actual wording of the taylor report (?) and refusing to move thus giving us that had stood there for years the opportunity to ignore the stewards. Shortly afterwards it kicked off in the golf road with most of the stewards stood arguing with us on the premise that we couldnt stand where we had always stood. I was then highly amused to hear Mr maddox proclaim they should be in the golf road stopping the fighting with the real hooligans  and not wasting there time moving  ex hooligans with a finger pointing firmly at me. Woops cover blown.

At that game I was only 15 yrs old. It was a few years later when there were regualr stand-offs between Pinky and a group of us, most lads personally known to yourself. We would go drinking in the Moss Hotel before the game and would leave the vault 5 minutes before closing time, which was also 5 minutes before kick-off. We would enter the ground 1 minute before kick-off via the Chequers End Turnstiles which use to annoy Pinky as he wanted all fans in place beofre the match started. His take was that we must drink up and enter via the Golf Road turnstiles 10 minutes before the start and avoid going anywhere away fans (no segregation in those days). Our take was that the away fans should get out of the way. There was another Cop who was a regular Alty fan when not on duty and such a knobhed that his name was never worth knowing, never mind remembering. Things got to a real hed-on when these two and he other Keystone Cops to really annoy us put Southport Fans in the Golf Road End before a FA Cup tie and we had to endure Scousers mocking us from behind a protective blue line. Then at half-time they tried to move the away fans to the Chequers End when Alty were 3-0 down and things exploded. You probably know the rest of the story. Although we might not have admitted it at the time, Pinky was actually a good bloke. He was a family friend and also a mate of mine in South Africa.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 12:06:25 AM »

Saw him play brilliantly for Stafford against us in the early 70's - not sure if he was in nets for our 1-0 loss at Moss Lane in 73

But I still believe that him replacing Mark Kendall in goals for Spurs for the game at Maine Road against us probably won them the tie.

He had a great game in that match.January 13th 1973........it was the first time that I ever saw us lose at Moss Lane in a League game.........there have been a few since ;D.I think that Terry Bailey may have scored the only goal of the game......not certain though.

A terrific keeper.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 RIP Milija Aleksic