PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Comparison of Legends
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Comparison of Legends  (Read 7354 times)

RocketDan

Re: Comparison of Legends
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2012, 06:55:28 PM »

On a separate note, how does the standard of the Cheshire League in the 60's compare with the Conference North today?

Whilst I'm not trying to knock Jackies achievement: scoring on a larger regional scale (ie. the conference north) is more impressive than scoring at a smaller local level (ie. the Cheshire League). Also considering the fact that Alty won the Cheshire League twice in the mid/late 60's - would i be right in thinking that not only was the standard of opposition was lower, but also that Jackie was playing in a winning team surrounding be quality players.

I often wonder how many goals Reeves would have scored for Alty in the 60's and how many goals Jackie would score in todays team.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2012, 06:57:37 PM »

On a separate note, how does the standard of the Cheshire League in the 60's compare with the Conference North today?

Whilst I'm not trying to knock Jackies achievement: scoring on a larger regional scale (ie. the conference north) is more impressive than scoring at a smaller local level (ie. the Cheshire League). Also considering the fact that Alty won the Cheshire League twice in the mid/late 60's - would i be right in thinking that not only was the standard of opposition was lower, but also that Jackie was playing in a winning team surrounding be quality players.

I often wonder how many goals Reeves would have scored for Alty in the 60's and how many goals Jackie would score in todays team.

I  would imagime fitness levels are higher today

arnald

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2012, 07:07:04 PM »

I  would imagime fitness levels are higher today
lots of reasons ,but the man is doing his job please let it continue

joe

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2012, 07:43:52 PM »

Gavin Price scored all 9 in a reserve match if that counts?

Is that true?

Yes mate,totally true.

JDN

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2012, 07:49:09 PM »

Ronnie Ellis got 4 against Enfield, April 88

anglo alty

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 04:57:47 PM »

Intresting comparrison i never realised Reevsy was so close to the legendary Jack

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 06:56:19 PM »

Cheshire league in them days had some good teams Wigan Athletic,Macc,Vics,Witton,Runcorn,+ the likes of Chester reserves,thing Statlybridge were in there also.
Harold

roytonmike

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2012, 09:17:27 PM »

Very difficult to compare league standards. We played Cambridge United (Southern League) in a friendly in August 67 & won 7-1 (inc a Swindells hat-trick); the first three champions of the Northern Prem were all ex-Cheshire League (Macc twice, Wigan & Stafford); Macc won the first ever FA Trophy in 70, all of which suggests that the Cheshire League was as strong a competition as existed in the mid-60s. Fitness levels, standards of pitches etc are impossible to compare really.

taxi Phil

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2012, 09:24:08 PM »

Reserve teams were quite common in the Cheshire League. Chester, and Tranmere were constants. Port Vale and Wrexham had quite long spells, Crewe rather less. Stockport met us in the Senior Cup quite often, but played mostly in the Lancashire League.

Wellington Town were there in the 50's before they moved to the Southern League and became Telford United, and we also had the neighbouring works team GKN Sankey.

Other regular visitors to Moss Lane included Winsford United,  Buxton, Mossley, and the Welsh contingent from Bangor City and Rhyl.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 09:35:02 PM »

Reserve teams were quite common in the Cheshire League. Chester, and Tranmere were constants. Port Vale and Wrexham had quite long spells, Crewe rather less. Stockport met us in the Senior Cup quite often, but played mostly in the Lancashire League.

Wellington Town were there in the 50's before they moved to the Southern League and became Telford United, and we also had the neighbouring works team GKN Sankey.

Other regular visitors to Moss Lane included Winsford United,  Buxton, Mossley, and the Welsh contingent from Bangor City and Rhyl.

I believe Stockport Res re-joined the CL for 1965-6, the year we first won the league, and left when the NPL started.
I always thought (in those days) Oswestry were a welsh club but have since found they're in shropshire. TNS brings this into question!
Oswestry, from memory, was a bit of a dump as a ground that some on here would call characterful and a 'proper' non-league venue.  ::)
Bangor always seemed to have a very good team and, along with Runcorn, were one of only two sides to beat us in league games in our 65-6 championship season.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Comparison of Legends