PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shildon away in FA Cup
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Shildon away in FA Cup  (Read 24258 times)

bonz

Re: Shildon away in FA Cup
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2012, 03:38:14 PM »

Also pleasing to see that there will be a good travelling support. Every bit helps for us smaller clubs!
 What time will you be planning to arrive?

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2012, 03:40:49 PM »

Also pleasing to see that there will be a good travelling support. Every bit helps for us smaller clubs!
 What time will you be planning to arrive?

I am plannig to make it up there.  As said before we normally turnout for the Cup although our past history isnt great.  

What are they thoughts of the club facing Altrincham FC?  Must be one of the biggest games in your history (not taking the piss there like)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 03:44:42 PM by Knutsford Alty »

bonz

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2012, 03:48:52 PM »

We made first round proper a few years ago against Notts County and took over 1,000 fans down there. Only Leeds United beat us for the number of away fans at Notts County that season. We were beaten 7-2 but gave a good performance and at least we scored 2 against a league side. As for big clubs - dont you know that Darlington are in our league now?? I'm not taking the mickey either :D :D

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2012, 03:58:05 PM »

Is Mike Armitage still at the club?

bonz

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2012, 04:04:27 PM »

Unfortunately Mike passed away a few years ago. I didnt know him very well but I know he was a fantastic servant of Shildon AFC

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2012, 04:37:51 PM »

Unfortunately Mike passed away a few years ago. I didnt know him very well but I know he was a fantastic servant of Shildon AFC

What sort of crowds do you get up there then?

York Alty

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2012, 05:45:26 PM »

What sort of crowds do you get up there then?

pissed crowds if my knowledge of the north east is accurate!

bonz

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2012, 05:46:20 PM »

We get around 200 but we can attract a lot more with cup games and local derbies against the likes of Bishop ,West Auckland and Spennymoor. Whitley Bay in the vase quarter final a couple of years ago we got 1500. There might be around 500 there if you fetch as many as you're saying

bonz

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2012, 05:53:51 PM »

Yes York Alty a few of us like a drink - none more so than me! What better way to spend a Saturday than a few beers starting around 11 - 12 o'clock ,get to the ground around 2 another couple before the game. Another at half time and then a few more after the game - beats going shopping with the missus anyday!!
 Got to be careful though - I went to the bar 5 minutes before the end of the first half in the 11-0 game and missed three goals and then missed another one while I was stood having a gypsy's at the start of second half ;D

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2012, 05:54:08 PM »

Its a strange league your in this year with so many teams from the area including darlington.  There's plenty of local derbies.  It will be close depends how the first 20 mins goes really.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

bonz

« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2012, 05:57:27 PM »

Aye Toff apple you're right. Darlo are top at the moment but they've played nobody of note yet to be honest. They got beat by Guisborough last week 4-1 and both ourselves and Spennymoor have stuffed Guisborough 6-0

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2012, 06:02:19 PM »

From the South Shields Forum:

Very probably a record defeat, and most certainly a scoreline to raise incredulous eyebrows, more like a cricket score. What one can say is that harsh reality is a lesson to be learned from, when there is no immediate consolation so acute and with painful embarrassment on such a scale. The season to date with the resources currently available on the field and with the clubs financial situation in mind has been reasonably pleasing, with only two narrow defeats by the odd goal to speak of. Money as ever is the catalyst, and without it you cannot spend it, though having said that, tonights result was an absolute nightmare, unexpected and out of character and something the players will have to live with, certainly it will do the profile of the club no credit and will live long in memory. To try and find believable reasons just how such a scoreline can be possible is to examine both teams and where they are. Shildon from the start were yards faster, wanted the ball, and literally destroyed a feeble Shields defence for speed and technique. The railwaymen headed over the bar on eight minutes, a portent of things to come as they moved menacingly forward with purpose and design. Shields fell behind to a soft goal on 18, when the ball was lost, with weak and indecisive defending,the player beaten easily and the ball lobbed accurately over the goalkeeper to open the scoring, schoolboy stuff. On 30 the floodgates were opened with three goals in as many minutes, with defending so dismal as to be non existent,and goals really gift wrapped and given away and the goalkeeper left helpless and the game gone,an awful mess to witness. Wightman on 34 and again on 40 shot wide on both occasions when put through. Just before half time the procession continued with a 4th, and another example of lack lustre half hearted effort in defence. It was noticed that Shildon on the few occasions their goal was threatened lofted clearance balls high and well wide of the danger area, whilst Shields allowed themselves to be caught and repeatedly paid the penalty. Chapim again lost the ball in a dangerous position, and a snap shot claimed goal no. 5, a free kick claimed goal no. 6 and immediately a 7th was put away for half time. Shields supporters were silent and shell shocked and home fans were jubilant. It was remarked by a Shildon supporter that their team is not allowed to play Sunday football, and it really showed tonight, whereas Shields looked nothing like the team that played so well against Bishops in the second half on Saturday, Sunday football has a lot to answer for. The second half saw a quick 8th goal as the nightmare continued and it was all too easy. Smith shot over with a decent effort as Shields made an effort on 60 and for a while played some decent football, but on 65 former Mariner Rob Briggs fired in a fine shot for no. 9, that was followed two minutes later by a free header from a corner to 10, even though Shields had six players in the goal area ....Number 11 followed some time later to complete the demolition and a collapse so complete that really defies adequate explanation, outplayed by a better team, yes but in such a fashion for a defeat so huge is reason for soul searching by players and management alike. For the supporters, a bitter disappointment beyond doubt to see their team thrashed so mercilessly, it is for the team to now regroup, and try and prove a point in the next game for themselves individually and as a team and move on. It will be a hard season, and survival in the first division is the priority, no more no less, and to remember this night and try and put matters right here after as best they can.

That's someone who can write, but needs to learn that less is more.

True - but since when has 11 been regarded as a decent cricket score by a team...?!

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 06:06:44 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2012, 06:07:57 PM »

Its a strange league your in this year with so many teams from the area including darlington.  There's plenty of local derbies.  It will be close depends how the first 20 mins goes really.

See you at the replay then....

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2012, 07:26:35 PM »

;D Nice one Pukka pieman - dont know what pies we have but dont think they're pukka mate- sorry!! There's a fish shop just down the road that the Skemmy fans raved about when they were up and it's still as good as ever. We're a friendly bunch as well so looking forward to some good crack and I'm not buying into the idea you have no chance - I watched your Oxford City highlights- how many chances did you miss???
  Also if any of you fancy getting up early for a pre-match slurp I'm sure I'll be up for that

Sorry Bonz but I only normally travel to away games if they have pukka pies as I cant stand watching us get beat without a good feed and some of pies we get are pretty crap, like Hollands for example ::) but you seem such a friendly lot I might just make the trip, I drink babychams myself :D

bonz

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2012, 09:02:17 PM »

Ha ha good one mate - I'll tell Wilf our club steward to get stocked up for yer!! Can you still get Babycham??
  Dont know if Eric's fish shop down the road does pukka pies but his fish and chips are excellent and no I'm not related or owt.
 As I said before I'm normally out quite early for a slurp and if you want a bit of a tour of the town's hostelries before going to the clubhouse I'm your man. Although tending to use Old Shildon Club( about 100 yards from the ground) quite a bit now 'cos they're doing guest ales. Keeping a cracking pint an'all
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shildon away in FA Cup