PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shildon away in FA Cup
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

Author Topic: Shildon away in FA Cup  (Read 24262 times)

fuertes

Re: Shildon away in FA Cup
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »

From the South Shields Forum:

Very probably a record defeat, and most certainly a scoreline to raise incredulous eyebrows, more like a cricket score. What one can say is that harsh reality is a lesson to be learned from, when there is no immediate consolation so acute and with painful embarrassment on such a scale. The season to date with the resources currently available on the field and with the clubs financial situation in mind has been reasonably pleasing, with only two narrow defeats by the odd goal to speak of. Money as ever is the catalyst, and without it you cannot spend it, though having said that, tonights result was an absolute nightmare, unexpected and out of character and something the players will have to live with, certainly it will do the profile of the club no credit and will live long in memory. To try and find believable reasons just how such a scoreline can be possible is to examine both teams and where they are. Shildon from the start were yards faster, wanted the ball, and literally destroyed a feeble Shields defence for speed and technique. The railwaymen headed over the bar on eight minutes, a portent of things to come as they moved menacingly forward with purpose and design. Shields fell behind to a soft goal on 18, when the ball was lost, with weak and indecisive defending,the player beaten easily and the ball lobbed accurately over the goalkeeper to open the scoring, schoolboy stuff. On 30 the floodgates were opened with three goals in as many minutes, with defending so dismal as to be non existent,and goals really gift wrapped and given away and the goalkeeper left helpless and the game gone,an awful mess to witness. Wightman on 34 and again on 40 shot wide on both occasions when put through. Just before half time the procession continued with a 4th, and another example of lack lustre half hearted effort in defence. It was noticed that Shildon on the few occasions their goal was threatened lofted clearance balls high and well wide of the danger area, whilst Shields allowed themselves to be caught and repeatedly paid the penalty. Chapim again lost the ball in a dangerous position, and a snap shot claimed goal no. 5, a free kick claimed goal no. 6 and immediately a 7th was put away for half time. Shields supporters were silent and shell shocked and home fans were jubilant. It was remarked by a Shildon supporter that their team is not allowed to play Sunday football, and it really showed tonight, whereas Shields looked nothing like the team that played so well against Bishops in the second half on Saturday, Sunday football has a lot to answer for. The second half saw a quick 8th goal as the nightmare continued and it was all too easy. Smith shot over with a decent effort as Shields made an effort on 60 and for a while played some decent football, but on 65 former Mariner Rob Briggs fired in a fine shot for no. 9, that was followed two minutes later by a free header from a corner to 10, even though Shields had six players in the goal area ....Number 11 followed some time later to complete the demolition and a collapse so complete that really defies adequate explanation, outplayed by a better team, yes but in such a fashion for a defeat so huge is reason for soul searching by players and management alike. For the supporters, a bitter disappointment beyond doubt to see their team thrashed so mercilessly, it is for the team to now regroup, and try and prove a point in the next game for themselves individually and as a team and move on. It will be a hard season, and survival in the first division is the priority, no more no less, and to remember this night and try and put matters right here after as best they can.

That's someone who can write, but needs to learn that less is more.

Anyway, I'm not too bothered that they battered South Shields. From what I can glean, the Northern League is unusually strong for that level of the pyramid but we still have a better squad of players. I can't accept they have a Geordie Damian Reeves with a pathological hatred of travelling more than 30 miles to matches. If we take this game very seriously - as I'm sure we will with memories of Witton still fresh in the mind - we should progress.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2012, 12:32:06 PM »

fuertes

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »

The main thing that sticks out there is the absolutely terrible condition of the pitch. Good grief.

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »

As mentioned elsewhere, we are a team from several leagues higher up the pyramid and should be expecting to go there and win.  We have played on ropey pitches before so lets get that excuse out of the way.

Lets get into them from the off and our fitness and better football ability should see us through.  No regrets like how the team trudged off against Witton last year.

Its a good draw this and we have an excellent chance of making some money.

No regrets Alty!

markecky

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2012, 01:30:12 PM »

More of Shildon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnI1me4tNqs

I love the fact they have those paddocks of standing behind the dugouts that seem compulory in the North East where bears stand and berate opposing managers.

bonz

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »

Bonz, I'm intrigued to know more about South Shields?  How bad were they or were you that good?
[/quot

They started off very well mate - I thought we were in for a hard game!! We were brilliant going forward though and looked like we would score every attack. They had chances as well and give them credit their heads never dropped even at 11. We hit the post three times as well!
  Here's a link to our last round game against Durham City - hope it works - if not I think it may be on Durham City's website
   http://www.northernleaguefootball.co.uk ... highlights
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 03:21:51 PM by bonz »

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »

More of Shildon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnI1me4tNqs

I love the fact they have those paddocks of standing behind the dugouts that seem compulory in the North East where bears stand and berate opposing managers.

Mr Birch would have a field day up there!

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2012, 01:50:42 PM »

Out of interest, and this is going off topic for which I apologise, does Dennis still attend away games despite being banned from Moss Lane?
Come on Alty!

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2012, 01:58:43 PM »

How many alty do you think will make the journey?
ParkINson's red and white army

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2012, 02:04:31 PM »

Out of interest, and this is going off topic for which I apologise, does Dennis still attend away games despite being banned from Moss Lane?

I understand Dennis Birch is barred from TASC coaches.

http://www.altyfans.co.uk/index.php?topic=14693.0

How many alty do you think will make the journey?

100 would be a good effort in my humble opinion.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 02:08:41 PM by Knutsford Alty »

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »

It'll be more than 100, despite us being terrible in it, people still turn out for the FA Cup, we had great followings at Kendal rushden Newcastle bs etc in recent years

fuertes

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2012, 02:44:18 PM »

It'll be more than 100, despite us being terrible in it, people still turn out for the FA Cup, we had great followings at Kendal rushden Newcastle bs etc in recent years

All in the 4th Qual Round though...

Jezza

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2012, 02:46:48 PM »

I'm sure the radio robins crew will enjoy a blyth esque afternoon in the main stand....

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2012, 02:54:30 PM »

That was one bad drive home from Northamptonshire

bonz

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2012, 03:35:01 PM »

The main thing that sticks out there is the absolutely terrible condition of the pitch. Good grief.

Just to let you know that this game was played last season against Spennymoor who finished champions. Our pitch was relaid during the Summer and is much better now although admittedly there are still a few bobbles. Our style suits a nice playing surface and doesn't every club wish they could have a billiard table type surface to play on???
  As for an earlier post by SammyH8 regarding fat Northern League centre halves - how many Northern League games has he seen? - as Banbury Alty would say - good grief!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shildon away in FA Cup