PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shildon away in FA Cup
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

Author Topic: Shildon away in FA Cup  (Read 24255 times)

Mount Street Alty

Re: Shildon away in FA Cup
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 07:49:51 PM »

Red bllack?

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »

The biggest game in lee sinnott's tenure in my opinion

York Alty

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2012, 07:59:57 PM »

oh hell.  the smell of banana skin is strong in the nostrils.

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2012, 08:17:38 PM »

The biggest game in lee sinnott's tenure in my opinion

Its a good draw, avoided the likes of Chester and co. with a real chance of going through.

The draw could have been a lot worse IMO.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:20:49 PM by Knutsford Alty »

Mount Street Alty

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2012, 08:27:54 PM »

Agreed, let's wait and c wot happens

SammyH8

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2012, 09:02:43 PM »

Good draw. With our attacking talents we'll have far too much for fat northern league centre halves. bring on macc town

bonz

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2012, 10:01:51 PM »

A word of warning to anyone going there by public transport. My son lived up there for a while. It is a Newcastle stronghold. Anyone walking around in red and white stripes should be very careful. Geordies are not the brightest of people at the best of times. On a Saturday night after a few brown ales they can take offence to what they see as a group of stray mackems. As for the game, a comfortable 4-0 win.

I don't know where your son was living but don't think it was Shildon!! We are 30 miles south of Newcastle and I for one do not class myself as a Geordie - the main reason being I'm a Mackem. Where you've got this idea that you will be beaten up for wearing red and white stripes is beyond me!! You will be offered a warm welcome by our supporters and people of Shildon. As for being a Newcastle stronghold -  that's rubbish - Crewe is about 30 miles from Manchester - is that a Man City or Man Utd stronghold???
  The railway station is about a mile or so walk from the ground though. I agree with the Geordie bit  ;D ;D
  As for the game I think that it will be close. It's a tough tie for us but Skelmersdale came to our place a couple of seasons ago expecting a walkover and we comfortably beat them 2-0
  Our FA Cup record this season is played 4- won 3- drawn 1 - goals for 16 - goals against 2
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 10:09:19 PM by bonz »

York Alty

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2012, 10:11:14 PM »

Goals for 16 - goals against 2 makes bleak reading given our leaky defence.  Forget what league Shildon are in.  It's a cup game, how many times have we beaten the bigger club?

This is a nasty fixture and no doubt we'll have to be on top form. No excuses Alty.

bonz

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2012, 10:34:37 PM »

It's well documented that the Northern League is the best level 9 league in the country. I reckon that most of the top teams in our league could compete comfortably in the Evo-stick (if it's still called that).I know that's a league below you but I' m looking forward to the game as it's a big challenge for us and hopefully Altrincham fans will be impressed by our standard of football.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2012, 08:09:36 AM »

It's well documented that the Northern League is the best level 9 league in the country. I reckon that most of the top teams in our league could compete comfortably in the Evo-stick (if it's still called that).I know that's a league below you but I' m looking forward to the game as it's a big challenge for us and hopefully Altrincham fans will be impressed by our standard of football.

Thanks for the info. Alty have no chance, we haven't even scored an FA cup goal in 5 years. It will be a walk over for Shildon. Please take it easy on us, we don't travel well either but Alty fans are a very friendly bunch. What pies do you serve there?

bonz

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2012, 10:32:11 AM »

;D Nice one Pukka pieman - dont know what pies we have but dont think they're pukka mate- sorry!! There's a fish shop just down the road that the Skemmy fans raved about when they were up and it's still as good as ever. We're a friendly bunch as well so looking forward to some good crack and I'm not buying into the idea you have no chance - I watched your Oxford City highlights- how many chances did you miss???
  Also if any of you fancy getting up early for a pre-match slurp I'm sure I'll be up for that

markecky

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2012, 10:56:45 AM »

;D Nice one Pukka pieman - dont know what pies we have but dont think they're pukka mate- sorry!! There's a fish shop just down the road that the Skemmy fans raved about when they were up and it's still as good as ever. We're a friendly bunch as well so looking forward to some good crack and I'm not buying into the idea you have no chance - I watched your Oxford City highlights- how many chances did you miss???
  Also if any of you fancy getting up early for a pre-match slurp I'm sure I'll be up for that

Now I know you beat Skelmersdale two years ago I'll not be wasting a day going up there  ;)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2012, 11:00:30 AM »

We should travel in decent numbers, we had a good following at our last visit to that region in the FA Cup when we were at the now defunct Newcastle blue star

markecky

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2012, 11:55:55 AM »

Bonz, I'm intrigued to know more about South Shields?  How bad were they or were you that good?

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2012, 12:17:47 PM »

From the South Shields Forum:

Very probably a record defeat, and most certainly a scoreline to raise incredulous eyebrows, more like a cricket score. What one can say is that harsh reality is a lesson to be learned from, when there is no immediate consolation so acute and with painful embarrassment on such a scale. The season to date with the resources currently available on the field and with the clubs financial situation in mind has been reasonably pleasing, with only two narrow defeats by the odd goal to speak of. Money as ever is the catalyst, and without it you cannot spend it, though having said that, tonights result was an absolute nightmare, unexpected and out of character and something the players will have to live with, certainly it will do the profile of the club no credit and will live long in memory. To try and find believable reasons just how such a scoreline can be possible is to examine both teams and where they are. Shildon from the start were yards faster, wanted the ball, and literally destroyed a feeble Shields defence for speed and technique. The railwaymen headed over the bar on eight minutes, a portent of things to come as they moved menacingly forward with purpose and design. Shields fell behind to a soft goal on 18, when the ball was lost, with weak and indecisive defending,the player beaten easily and the ball lobbed accurately over the goalkeeper to open the scoring, schoolboy stuff. On 30 the floodgates were opened with three goals in as many minutes, with defending so dismal as to be non existent,and goals really gift wrapped and given away and the goalkeeper left helpless and the game gone,an awful mess to witness. Wightman on 34 and again on 40 shot wide on both occasions when put through. Just before half time the procession continued with a 4th, and another example of lack lustre half hearted effort in defence. It was noticed that Shildon on the few occasions their goal was threatened lofted clearance balls high and well wide of the danger area, whilst Shields allowed themselves to be caught and repeatedly paid the penalty. Chapim again lost the ball in a dangerous position, and a snap shot claimed goal no. 5, a free kick claimed goal no. 6 and immediately a 7th was put away for half time. Shields supporters were silent and shell shocked and home fans were jubilant. It was remarked by a Shildon supporter that their team is not allowed to play Sunday football, and it really showed tonight, whereas Shields looked nothing like the team that played so well against Bishops in the second half on Saturday, Sunday football has a lot to answer for. The second half saw a quick 8th goal as the nightmare continued and it was all too easy. Smith shot over with a decent effort as Shields made an effort on 60 and for a while played some decent football, but on 65 former Mariner Rob Briggs fired in a fine shot for no. 9, that was followed two minutes later by a free header from a corner to 10, even though Shields had six players in the goal area ....Number 11 followed some time later to complete the demolition and a collapse so complete that really defies adequate explanation, outplayed by a better team, yes but in such a fashion for a defeat so huge is reason for soul searching by players and management alike. For the supporters, a bitter disappointment beyond doubt to see their team thrashed so mercilessly, it is for the team to now regroup, and try and prove a point in the next game for themselves individually and as a team and move on. It will be a hard season, and survival in the first division is the priority, no more no less, and to remember this night and try and put matters right here after as best they can.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shildon away in FA Cup