Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 YORK promoted.. luton remain a NL side...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: YORK promoted.. luton remain a NL side...  (Read 15808 times)

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: YORK promoted.. luton remain a NL side...
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 02:07:33 AM »

Whilst I know they've been twice in 7 days and money is tight,But I'm more than confident that we would have a five figure following at wembley for a conference playoff final...

Speaking as a York City Council Tax payer (for 8 days honest) the same thing crossed my mind in The Bootham this afternoon.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 08:49:08 AM »

Well we had 1 away at the champions leauge final so we would take a few im sure :)
ParkINson's red and white army

fuertes

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 08:55:34 AM »

Luton took around 11,000 to Manchester last year. Which isn't as far as Altrincham to Wembley. Realistically, I think we'd take around 4,000 or 5,000 to Wembley. Which isn't too bad.

If we were doing the equivalent of Luton's trip yesterday, e.g. Conference playoff final at Anfield, I think we'd muster a few more. Maybe more like 7,000 or 8,000.

Anyway, very well done to York City. I'm all for having a laugh at the ex FL clubs languishing in what they continuously tell us is "hell", but 8 years is quite enough. Best of luck to them next year. The fact they're actually a good footballing side should see them having a good season.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 09:47:08 AM »

So, dear old Luton Town miss out on promotion yet again, eh? Marvellous! Partial payback for their ignoble role in the great Football League Re-election travesty of June 1980. Long may they (and Grimsby Town) remain in the Non League ranks.

Congratulations Barry. Glad to see it's not just me who still adheres to the Sicilian "never forgive, never forget" maxim.

PS: I still feel the same way about the Miles Platting meat-packers from OT (although I realise this is far from a popular view on here!)

Quite right, too, Brian.

If, by any chance, you possess a video copy of that infamous 1980 edition of Granada TV's World In Action programme on the business practices of Louis Edwards, I'd love to borrow it...!

Unfortunately not. However, at the time, I lived less than a mile from their factory (in Harpurhey) and quite a few of the lads I grew up with went to work there. The hygiene practices were bad enough nevermind their business practices! (One of them even became a vegetarian because of it! - and still is 40 years later)

"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Railway Alty

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 11:30:34 AM »

Whereabouts in Harpurhey was the factory, i live in Harpurhey and have never heard of it?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 01:01:43 PM »

Whereabouts in Harpurhey was the factory, i live in Harpurhey and have never heard of it?

I lived in Harpurhey - the factory was in Miles Platting.
If you go down Rochdale Road to Queens Road, turn left and carry on until you cross over Oldham Road (where the 'Playhouse' used to be), it was up the first street on the left past the junction. It was a massive place but they've probably demolished years ago and built houses. I've not been there for years.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 03:00:47 PM »

Well we had 1 away at the champions leauge final so we would take a few im sure :)

556234_10151120346213975_657063974_13170722_2096941052_n.jpg

Well, you're not fooling me with your fancy dan photoshopped image.

That photograph was taken at Hyde's ground last August.

I'd recognise those sprinklers anywhere.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 04:24:29 PM »

556234_10151120346213975_657063974_13170722_2096941052_n.jpg

Well, you're not fooling me with your fancy dan photoshopped image.

That photograph was taken at Hyde's ground last August.

I'd recognise those sprinklers anywhere.

Ha ha busted !- there was one major difference to Hyde- it was non alcholic beer only !
ParkINson's red and white army

York Alty

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 05:50:59 PM »

Whilst I know they've been twice in 7 days and money is tight,But I'm more than confident that we would have a five figure following at wembley for a conference playoff final...

Speaking as a York City Council Tax payer (for 8 days honest) the same thing crossed my mind in The Bootham this afternoon.

blimey - something of an Alty enclave is building.

UkrainianPhil

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 06:37:02 PM »

Thanks a lot for all the nice comments, just shows once again what a nice bunch Alty fans are.

It's been a rollercoaster of emotion for 8 years, many highs (to be fair) and many lows (!) but I felt we deserved our success this season by trying to play football the right way, being respectful but determined, and I'm glad we did it in that way as there have been plenty of teams who have bullied their way out.

We have made some good friends and played a lot of "new" clubs over 8 years, obviously we'd played Alty before in the FA Cup, but I think I can speak for most York fans when I say there has been no nicer, welcoming bunch than you lot and our trips to Moss Lane were always brilliant days out.

I will be following your results in the hope you win Conference North and reclaim your place as one of the most famous clubs in "real" non-league. I will hopefully pop along as I'm sure Sky will start messing about with the fixtures so I'll have some free Saturdays!

Thanks again and all the best.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 06:57:39 PM »

May I wish York City all the very best in the FL next season. Playing the sort of football they do I reckon they have a good chance of finishing well up the table. Exciting times for York fans and the MacGill family thouroughly deserve this success after years of them digging deep in their pockets.

Hamilton

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 07:04:31 PM »

May I wish York City all the very best in the FL next season. Playing the sort of football they do I reckon they have a good chance of finishing well up the table. Exciting times for York fans and the MacGill family thouroughly deserve this success after years of them digging deep in their pockets.

Agreed

roytonmike

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 07:25:13 PM »

I echo the good wishes to York. Going there was always a pleasure - apart from the primitive loos (!) - a grand day out what with the city itself, the railway museum, the Roman walls and some very welcoming folk at the football ground, who were happy to accept where they were in the 'pecking order' and not try to play the 'big club'. I hope they thrive in the Football League.

Knutsford Alty

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 08:16:34 PM »

York are a strange club as they do not have many traditional rivalries due to it’s location.  Scarborough were a rival, but they have since drifted into obscurity due to financial troubles.  Its a good day out for the away fan I agree, with the racing and pubs in town.  The plans for the new ground going ahead must have given everyone a massive boost.

Luton Town will get up eventually as well.

Well done Yawk

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 08:24:57 PM »

Echo what's been said about York. Always a decent away day (even the last one, a tame 3-0 defeat after I'd come out of Leeds Festival for it), and a proper club who knew it had to work it's way back to where it should be. Will be more than equipped for League 2, and I expect them to be comfortable mid-table, possibly challenging for the play-offs.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 YORK promoted.. luton remain a NL side...