News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's Altrincham FC Trivia Question

Author Topic: Today's Altrincham FC Trivia Question  (Read 2973 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:52:58 PM »

What did Altrincham FC do in 1964 that they have yet to do again since then?

(roytonmike you are banned from participating!)

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Altrincham FC Trivia Question
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:39:21 PM »

Given that it's TODAY's question, assume it's playing on 29th February?
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:41:53 PM »

Given that it's TODAY's question, assume it's playing on 29th February?

Nasha,

Absolutely spot on!

A 3-1 defeat at Witton Albion in the Cheshire League on 29th February 1964.

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

RocketDan

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 01:15:16 AM »

is it:

play in a match, in which the result didn't produce a response from the fans of either:

A) 'we are barcelona champions of the world'
or
B) 'we of AFC Tinpot, relegation fodder in the tinpot league shield league'

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 08:35:21 AM »

Today's piece of Alty trivia is that it is 32 years to the day since the euphoria that went with:

Altrincham 3 Weymouth 2

The match that effectively put us firmly in the drivers seat for the inaugural APL championship in 1979-80.

A great match - we fell behind early on before a Whitbread hat trick of scuffed shots and deflections in a 20 minute period put us 3-1 up at the interval.  An uncharacteristic error from John Owens - a back pass that was cut out - led to Weymouths second goal on 85 minutes and a very nervy last few minutes.

(I recognise this is not a question but it should bring a feeling of warmth and satisfaction to Alty fans of a certain age)

Hamilton

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 10:30:19 AM »

is it:

play in a match, in which the result didn't produce a response from the fans of either:

A) 'we are barcelona champions of the world'
or
B) 'we of AFC Tinpot, relegation fodder in the tinpot league shield league'

:D

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 12:24:38 PM »

Today's piece of Alty trivia is that it is 32 years to the day since the euphoria that went with:

Altrincham 3 Weymouth 2

The match that effectively put us firmly in the drivers seat for the inaugural APL championship in 1979-80.

A great match - we fell behind early on before a Whitbread hat trick of scuffed shots and deflections in a 20 minute period put us 3-1 up at the interval.  An uncharacteristic error from John Owens - a back pass that was cut out - led to Weymouths second goal on 85 minutes and a very nervy last few minutes.

(I recognise this is not a question but it should bring a feeling of warmth and satisfaction to Alty fans of a certain age)

I remember it well, Bill.

John Connaughton's APL debut following Alex Stepney's return to Dallas.

And both order and faith duly restored after the preceding Saturday's FA Trophy capitulation at home to Mossley!

Hamilton

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 12:26:06 PM »

Altrincham 3 Weymouth 2

And both order and faith duly restored after the preceding Saturday's FA Trophy capitulation at home to Mossley!

Did he shoot JR?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 04:17:44 PM »

With Alty I always think that I was born 7 or 8 years too late.

Then I read on here that some people's greatest Alty moment swere beating Gateshead at home 3-2 and remember that if I missed the League titles at least I was at Wembley and Birmingham in 86 and have some great memories of the 1990-91 season and a cracking teenage piss up of a 94-95 season to fall back on.

Since then we've won the Unibond title in 99 and the conf north play offs in 2005 and that's about it....

Robin Reliant

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 05:00:53 PM »

Altrincham 3 Weymouth 2

Most definately, and even to those of uncertain age.. ;D ;D

taxi Phil

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 10:03:19 PM »

If I get a feeling of warmth these days it's generally because I've pee'd in my slippers. And satisfaction seems to have been in short supply of late.

But this brought a smile to my face and a twinkle to my eyes. Happy days, and it was a privilege to be part of them.

Bath Alty

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 09:53:51 PM »

Altrincham 3 Weymouth 2

That game also saw the debut of Bath Alty in the Moss Lane crowd aged 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team