PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 times when being an Alty fan wasn't such a good idea
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: times when being an Alty fan wasn't such a good idea  (Read 11010 times)

Railway Alty

Re: times when being an Alty fan wasn't such a good idea
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 07:43:53 AM »

Gazelle, Si used to get up to many tricks, especially when he had a few! scoops. we had got a load of beer from an offy near the bleeding wolf early in the morning as we had forgot the night before! the carrige floor on the train going was just full of toby light cans (remember Toby light) and we had just walk over them. there was me Si and Dave Stanley (Scaggs) if i remember right, was a real blast, we had many a scrape in those days, lol

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2012, 04:13:20 PM »

Does nobody else remember that Winsford trophy match?
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

thegazelle

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2012, 04:26:42 PM »

remember someone taking a swing at me at winsford  on the way out as it got to a bit of a crush goingout of the gate,but his fist just whizzed over my head, when i turned round he ran ,that was possibly the same game i dont recall many other shennanagins in the scouse overspill.  do like fishing on winsford flash though.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2012, 08:29:47 AM »

Wigan away on several occasions in the 70's, I remember one great escape after we won 1-0 to find the coach moved from the car park to exactly in front of the exit gate just as pack were about to pounce. I think we were the only club that took fans to Wigan in those days. They were the only NPL club that brought a mob to Moss Lane for an anual punch up.
Runcorn was never a nice place.I remember being invoved in a fisty cuff inside the ground at the FA Trophy Semi Final with Scousers that supported United.I actually caught up with one of them before a United match when I was with a gang from Dublin and they Scouse coward went to lengths explaining he supported Scotland not England.
Kettering in the APL Cup Semi - which the Gazelle knows very well about. I was also sat opposite him in the pub when that gorgeous blond bird nearly took his head off. I can confirm that it was in response to a non-football related comment!!
Everton - we wouldnt have had a problem that day had the Merseyside police not split Alty fans up into different part of the ground and didnt even try to remove Everton fans from the away end.
Spurs in 1979
Rotherham in 1976 when we lost 5-0
Probably all these indicents would be avoided these days with segregation rules.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2012, 09:34:59 AM »

There were a few skirmishes at Macc one Boxing Day in the late 70s, with one particular chap of their's wearing a long leather coat being significantly involved. It started at half time in the bar, the kicked off at the end as we tried to leave the ground.

On to New Year's Day, the return game. I met my mate for a pre-match drink in The Bridge, only after an hour or so for the Macc team to walk in. It had snowed like hell unbeknown to us and the game was off.

I walked to Alty station and there were no trains due to the snow, but who do I meet but Mr long leather coat. He was stranded so the warm congenial part of me kicked in and I said to come with me , I'll get you a bus into town. I lived off Dane Rd in Sale then so we jumped on the 263. I told him he needs to get off with me then I helpfully waited with him while I put him on the 222 to Partington. I often wonder if he ever got home!
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2012, 11:29:47 AM »

There were a few skirmishes at Macc one Boxing Day in the late 70s, with one particular chap of their's wearing a long leather coat being significantly involved. It started at half time in the bar, the kicked off at the end as we tried to leave the ground.

On to New Year's Day, the return game. I met my mate for a pre-match drink in The Bridge, only after an hour or so for the Macc team to walk in. It had snowed like hell unbeknown to us and the game was off.

I walked to Alty station and there were no trains due to the snow, but who do I meet but Mr long leather coat. He was stranded so the warm congenial part of me kicked in and I said to come with me , I'll get you a bus into town. I lived off Dane Rd in Sale then so we jumped on the 263. I told him he needs to get off with me then I helpfully waited with him while I put him on the 222 to Partington. I often wonder if he ever got home!

Magnificent work.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

thegazelle

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2012, 12:29:52 PM »

Nice work Cult  . indeed i recall longleathercoat man all too well as i was on the receiving end of his fist and boots a few times on the boxing day.

I think the story has been told before but it basically involved 10 pints of stones in the moss, a coach trip, 2 pints of marstons in the star and a pint of whatever in the bar under the stand at macc. All was well apart from jumping so high when we scored the first goal i went head first over the wall and on to the pitch when we scored the first goal (hard to believe but i was only 18) starting "totally by accident" a minor pitch invasion. then went for a pint at half time as if i needed another one and it turned into two so i was last to leave the bar admittedly i had taken the piss out of a tottenham fan (up and coming fixture) in the bar and his mate who happened to be wearing a long coat all in a friendly 15 pint manner . i then left the bar and had to walk down the players tunnel totally un aware the nasty people had lined either side of the tunnel and give me a friendly slap or kick as i passed by. i decided this was very rude of them and decided to fight them all and was pulled back or mopre probably out of trouble by derek kennerley and some other  people who i do not recall . said macc fans wouldnt come near me when i was back with the alty fans despite me very loudly and drunkenley requesting they do so for most of the second half . they then ambushed a small group of us on the way out but we repelled and got onto the coach as usual foxy probably got the worst of it but i had a black eye and still have a scar inside my mouth.
Discretion stops me naming the two people who got one attacking macc fan and rammed his head into the floodlight stanchion as they are both fine upstanding members of society with many childer
A lesson learned but not often heeded that drinking excesive amounts and thinking yer hard when your not is  not a good idea .

PS we won 5-1........................ i think

it also cost me a hat as i was sick on the coach into my hat and it acted as a very efficient strainer and had to be discarded and i can recall girlfriend at the time not best pleased with my appearance when i went to meet her later that night.
I suspect SW and possibly scottie were present at these goings on, although obviously not involved in the slightest yer honor, and may recall more than me

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »

There were tinnies consumed on the coach on the way there if I recall as well, it was quite a day out. Not sure the coach driver saw it the same way. Oh to be 17 and immortal again!
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

thegazelle

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2012, 01:36:43 PM »

once strained it was almost neat stones and blood is easy to mop up whats he moaning about

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2012, 07:58:41 PM »

remember someone taking a swing at me at winsford  on the way out as it got to a bit of a crush goingout of the gate,but his fist just whizzed over my head, when i turned round he ran ,that was possibly the same game i dont recall many other shennanagins in the scouse overspill.  do like fishing on winsford flash though.

I have a recollection of gangs of youths outside looking for likely prey and myself being a 9 stone geekager at the time, made me the equivalent of a wounded antelope to a pride of rather hungry lions.....luckily I could run fairly well back then
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Railway Alty

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2012, 08:24:38 AM »

Ah yes Winsford away, think our coach gat at least one window broke that day but my most abiding memory was a rather large Alty fan (who usde to attend with a quite small mate) getting stuck in the tiny turnstiles they had and about 4 or 5 of us pushing and pulling him to get him unstuck!!!!!! :D
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 times when being an Alty fan wasn't such a good idea