News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's Altrincham FC Trivia Question

Author Topic: Today's Altrincham FC Trivia Question  (Read 3633 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: January 07, 2012, 12:17:49 AM »

A nice gentle one to start the New Year....

Name the player who scored Alty's first ever goal against Colwyn Bay in a competitive fixture.

Prize for the first correct answer: a copy of the limited edition and much sought-after 2012 George Heslop Calendar.

(The photograph for November 2012 of him eating a Werther's Original whilst being carbon dated by scientists at Manchester University is a particular highlight).

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Hash

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Altrincham FC Trivia Question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 01:23:38 AM »

a complete shot in the dark kieth russel probably someone scored years before , but you never know
FFS

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 01:52:02 AM »

Paul France?

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 07:26:01 AM »

Russell Green at NVFC??

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 08:19:32 AM »

1997-98 season ? Stuart Terry

arnald

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 08:52:50 AM »

bomber haris

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 09:47:10 AM »

Russell Green at NVFC??

I'm certain that Russell Green got one of our goals in the 3-3 at Northwich in October 1992, but I think that it was the last goal that made it 3-3.

I have a mental image of Charlie Bradshaw scoring in the first half, so I will go with that.

I definitely remember that Peter Donnelly scored twice for Colwyn Bay.In a post match interview, I asked keeper,Joe Paladino,about the third goal, Donnelly's second, that made it 3-1 to Bay.It was a terriffic looping header which Paladino had no chance with & his response was "I think I was getting a pie in at the time".  ;D ;D

What a great game that was!!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 09:49:16 AM by Brian Flynn »

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 11:48:59 AM »

I remember that game at N****wich and I seem to recall it went to a second replay before we eventually overcame them. Russell Green scored the equaliser in the first game because I remember seeing a photo of him celebrating on the pitch with a fan in the Robins Review a week or two later.

I also thought Charlie Bradshaw was the scorer of our first goal in that game.
Come on Alty!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 12:38:07 PM »

Russell Green at NVFC??

I'm certain that Russell Green got one of our goals in the 3-3 at Northwich in October 1992, but I think that it was the last goal that made it 3-3.

I have a mental image of Charlie Bradshaw scoring in the first half, so I will go with that.

I definitely remember that Peter Donnelly scored twice for Colwyn Bay.In a post match interview, I asked keeper,Joe Paladino,about the third goal, Donnelly's second, that made it 3-1 to Bay.It was a terriffic looping header which Paladino had no chance with & his response was "I think I was getting a pie in at the time".  ;D ;D

Contrary to rumours, the boy Flynn has not lost it!

Indeed, it was the late Charlie Bradshaw who scored after four minutes of our FA Cup Third Qualifying Round tie against Colwyn Bay at The Drill Field on Saturday, 10th October 1992.

Curiously, we had defeated Vics 2-1 in the GM Vauxhall Conference on the same ground just four days earlier.

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 12:43:11 PM »

I remember that game at N****wich and I seem to recall it went to a second replay before we eventually overcame them. Russell Green scored the equaliser in the first game because I remember seeing a photo of him celebrating on the pitch with a fan in the Robins Review a week or two later.

I also thought Charlie Bradshaw was the scorer of our first goal in that game.

Clive Freeman got Alty's second goal in that particular match and Russell Green's 78th minute equaliser made the score 3-3.

It did, indeed, take two replays at Moss Lane before the Robins finally overcame Colwyn Bay.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 12:49:36 PM »

Russell Green at NVFC??

Indeed, it was the late Charlie Bradshaw who scored after four minutes of our FA Cup Third Qualifying Round tie against Colwyn Bay at The Drill Field on Saturday, 10th October 1992.

Curiously, we had defeated Vics 2-1 in the GM Vauxhall Conference on the same ground just four days earlier.

Just out of interest, why was the game at the Drill Field ?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 12:58:42 PM »

Russell Green at NVFC??

Colwyn Bay had declined to become a member of the new Konica League of Wales and were forced into exile in England in order to play their 'home' fixtures, hence they opted to play at The Drill Field that season.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 10:10:16 AM »

Re the Russell Green goal, I was stood directly behind the centre of the goal when Russell scored that one. In my minds eye, I can still see the manic grin on his face as he dived low to plant the header in the net virtually on the goal line!!

Hamilton

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 12:29:32 PM »

Russell Green at NVFC??

Colwyn Bay had declined to become a member of the new Konica League of Wales and were forced into exile in England in order to play their 'home' fixtures, hence they opted to play at The Drill Field that season.

Even in Wales this league was considered such a joke it was known as the Comical League of Wales!

York Alty

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 06:03:11 PM »

Bay made an interesting legal point of European law but having done that I do think they'd be better off in the LoW now.  travel to south wales is tough but then so are trips to March and all sorts of far flung places in the east of England.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team