PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Lawton leaves
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Lawton leaves  (Read 20643 times)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Lawton leaves
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2011, 11:29:17 PM »

Who the f**k is going to be Captain - Somebody who will urge the lads on through good times and bad - I cant think of anybody that could do that just now
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:45:14 PM by distancetraveller »

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2011, 11:32:59 PM »

First of all, thanks and good luck Robbie. A top man and a proper 'Alty' footballer, always enjoyed our chats with him and Laney. Good luck wherever you go and I think there's a lot of management potential there.

I'll look back on Robbie's Alty carer and remember the good times like his Boxing Day performance and goal v Vics and a barnstorming display when we drew away at Oxford.

I think now is probaly a good time for him to leave though while he can still get a decent club to go to, it was clear he wasn't a first choice here. I think perhaps his run of injuries which all started with a poor challenge by an R&D player (Noubassie) in a 0-4 defeat here at Moss Lane has hampered him somewhat and meant he was not the physical presence he was when he arrived, as such it's hard to base our play around him at the moment.

Hopefully this will free up funds for one or two fresh players (although I suspect Robbie was not a high earner or certainly not overpaid) which are clearly essential.

All in all a sad day as another Alty player and link to times when pour teams had heart and spirit leaves, and leaves us at an uncertain juncture, an important few weeks coming up I think. I know it won't arse the players but we are proud of our fa trophy record and would love to improve it, we also badly need the £5k or so to bring in reinforcement...which is a bit liek asking turkeys to vote for christmas.

Anyway, like I said, best of luck Robbie.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2011, 11:35:22 PM »

Robbie is what we need right now - passions and pride and plays 100%.

I disagree.  I don't think the current players don't try, I just think they aren't good enough.

What we need are people that can pass the ball to their own team mates and defenders who can stay in position and read the game with a little bit of pace.

Robbie has got all the spirit in the world...but its sometimes not enough.

Spot on, Ecky.

If the team was selected purely on the basis of demonstrating passion for your club, then our defence last Saturday would have comprised Hughesy; Ecky; George Heslop and Derek Wilshaw.

Mind you, come to think of it, that line-up would almost certainly have been more effective than the back four that we fielded against Gloucester City....

There might not have been a lot  of difference pace wise!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2011, 12:00:36 AM »

Who the f**k is going to be Captain

Presumably, the player who can actually string a few sentences together in order to be able to contribute a page to the Robins Review...?!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2011, 12:23:05 AM »

Two other Robbie Lawton goals that I recall fondly:

(i) 9th February 2008: Droylsden...0  Altrincham...2

Drilled a shot into the net early in the second half to put us 1-0 up......and right in front of the sizeable contingent of Alty supporters, too!

(ii) 22nd November 2008: Altrincham...1  Cambridge United...0

Of the nine goals that Robbie Lawton scored for the Robins, three of them were against Cambridge United.

This one was surely the best of the bunch (and arguably his finest goal for the club).

On the stroke of half-time, he drove home a fierce low shot from outside the penalty area at the Chequers End.

As has been expressed in other posts, his commitment to the Alty cause could never be questioned.

However, I do think that the time is right for a parting of the ways and wish him all the best in his future career.

He could always edit the Robins Review whilst he's getting himself sorted out with another club!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Hamilton

« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2011, 12:27:41 AM »

I am sad and surprised to see Robbie go, especially at a time when we seem to lack leadership.

Good luck Robbie!

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2011, 06:21:44 AM »

just read about Robbie,i am in shock,he was the only true captain at the club,ok not the best of players,but he always gave 110%.So Robbie was not in the managers plans,sounds to me as though the manager has dropped a clanger here,especially the gutless defence we have and midfield.Robbie would have been one of the few players this season i would have kept.Good luck the rest of the season Lee,you will need it now.
Thanks Robbie and sorry to see you leave.
Harold

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2011, 08:16:56 AM »

Does anybody actually believe that any of Robbies' replacements are better than him. I was of the understanding that we were waiting for him to get fit before he regained his rightful place on the pitch.
He mentions he could come back as manager one day, how about today.....

Scottie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2011, 08:20:47 AM »

What a fantastic player and great ambassador for the club. Thanks a million Robbie. In my eyes - an Alty legend.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2011, 08:40:53 AM »

A great guy to have around the club, totally committed. That boxing day goal v Northwich will stick in the mind. Quite right for him to go though, we need to move on. I reckon there'll be more comings and goings in the next few weeks.

RocketDan

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2011, 09:40:58 AM »

Robbie himself says he will drop down the pyramid in order to play each week which to me means he knows that maybe he doesnt reach the levels of performance he used to.

I reckon though he'll end up back at Vauxhall and will be an asset in a relegation scrap in this league.

Was thinking the same thing. That said it's not a drop down the pyramid. I hope he doesn't go to northwich an soil his good name!

Jezza

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2011, 09:44:30 AM »

Robbie you have been a sterling captain for the club during some difficult seasons and it is a shame that on too often an occasion your leadership and commitment were not matched by enough talent in the players we have around you.

The sentence that stood out for me was the one about the fans taking to you if you give your all and the captains logs have shown an insight in the pride you had at being captain at Alty.

I wish you all the best for the rest of your playing career and the start of your management career and it goes without saying you will always be a welcome face at Moss Lane.

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2011, 10:04:24 AM »

Sad to see him go. Not the most natural player but determination, heart and presence of a lion. Someone we could do with at the moment to be honest. Great captain's log, felt rather sad. I said at the start of the season that it felt like the pride and energy of the club wasn't there the season. Robbie's presence will be missed. Its happened now so he must bring in some players, who can not only play but play with passion because there's a severe lack of it!

VofD

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »

God help us if Sinnott thinks Richman should get the nod ahead of Robbie.He was truly awful last Saturday. >:( >:(

However, all the very best for the future,Robbie and thank you.

Bazbatteria

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2011, 10:37:55 AM »

Shocked by this, after reading the headline on the main site I expected it to be Williams. Robbie Lawton, a truly solid character and all round nice guy, will be missed, all the best pal,

baz
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Lawton leaves