PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shares?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shares?  (Read 6739 times)

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Shares?
« on: October 31, 2011, 09:08:29 PM »

I noticed before that Colwyn Bay were selling shares for a pound each and I was just wondering if we sold shares to the public?
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Shares?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:11:26 PM »

I think members of STAR (the old supporters trust) all got shares when they joined it originally (correct me if I'm wrong about this). I've still got my share certificate somewhere - I wouldn't mind betting it's still at my Mum and Dad's house along with all my old Alty programmes despite the fact I left home nearly 5 years ago.  ::)
Come on Alty!

York Alty

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 10:24:24 PM »

I still have mine.

If the Greeks had invested more wisely all those years ago they'd have something to fall back on now.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:26:19 PM by York Alty »

Hamilton

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 10:30:45 PM »

If Colwyn Bay's shares are £1, would ours be £6?

Jenga

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 12:31:19 PM »

Not sure on how many shares we had but wouldnt surprise me if ours were similar value when released. Lets face it they are not worth anything anyway. It is just a fund raising idea. Unless of course you hold alot of shares which might five you voting rights - who knows.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 12:57:21 PM »

Not sure on how many shares we had but wouldnt surprise me if ours were similar value when released. Lets face it they are not worth anything anyway. It is just a fund raising idea. Unless of course you hold alot of shares which might five you voting rights - who knows.

Massive WHOOOOSH!
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Jenga

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 12:58:43 PM »

Massive WHOOOOSH!
Not really I was going to say 50p, but then thought people would start commenting about economics and demand and supply and stuff so thought i would be sensible instead.

Hamilton

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »

Massive WHOOOOSH!
Not really I was going to say 50p, but then thought people would start commenting about economics and demand and supply and stuff so thought i would be sensible instead.

Double Whoooosh!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »

For the sake of an actual answer. There are shares in the club. I presume you can buy them off people who already own them.

In 2006 we sold some shares that were made available, in blocks of £10 for10 shares I think it was. I bought £10 worth which at least gives me the right to see the accounts and go to the AGM.

As for whether more shares could be created to sell and raise money (a share issue) or whether some shareholders would flog theres...let's just say we've been there before....  8)

Robin Reliant

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 05:05:02 PM »

I noticed before that Colwyn Bay were selling shares for a pound each and I was just wondering if we sold shares to the public?

Yes, but the reason is that CB are being threatened with expulsion from the league as their stand doesn't meet regulations

http://blogs.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/seagulls/

RocketDan

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 10:29:21 PM »

On a similar note, I've often wondered who actually owns "the club" and "the ground".

is Altrincham Football Club a limited company? I'm guessing it is based on people having shares in the company.

hypothetically speaking, if someone wanted to take over the club, how would it be valued, who would you buy it off?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 10:32:27 PM by RocketDan »

Ian J

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 08:15:29 AM »

On a similar note, I've often wondered who actually owns "the club" and "the ground".

is Altrincham Football Club a limited company? I'm guessing it is based on people having shares in the company.

hypothetically speaking, if someone wanted to take over the club, how would it be valued, who would you buy it off?

The Club is indeed a limited company. Not sure how you'd go about valuing a football club but a traditional trading business is usually acquired on a multiple of 5-8x EBITDA (Earnings before interest, taxation, depreciation, and amortisation). The vendors of said hypothetical business would usually then either clear any debt from that sum or, if there is cash within the business, may take a certain amount of this out (making the acquisition a cash free/debt free purchase).

So can you tell what I do for a living yet...

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 08:49:51 AM »

The Club is indeed a limited company. Not sure how you'd go about valuing a football club but a traditional trading business is usually acquired on a multiple of 5-8x EBITDA (Earnings before interest, taxation, depreciation, and amortisation). The vendors of said hypothetical business would usually then either clear any debt from that sum or, if there is cash within the business, may take a certain amount of this out (making the acquisition a cash free/debt free purchase).

Are you a bullsh*t merchant?   ;D ;D   *

* Only joking!  ;)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Ian J

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 09:07:05 AM »

My manager regularly asks me that too...

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 09:35:24 AM »

have you just purchased the Chippy next to the ground  ;) :D
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shares?