PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Congrats Ryan Shotton
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Congrats Ryan Shotton  (Read 4416 times)

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Congrats Ryan Shotton
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 09:36:57 PM »

Did Frank Carradous ever play in Europe for City? over to you "Cult"

Frank Carrodus made one European appearance for City as a used substitute in their European Cup Winners' Cup Semi-Final Second Leg 5-1 thrashing of FC Schalke 04 at Maine Road on Wednesday, 15th April 1970.

City went on to defeat Gornik Zabrze in the Final in Vienna and Carrodus was one of the unused substitutes for that fixture.

Did Frank not also play for Wrexham in the European Cup Winners Cup?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 11:31:23 PM »

So Cult.. that then moves us onto Mr Stepney then. Not only started, but also Won the European Cup.
Can't think of anyone else since then who started a European tie....I don't think Kenyon ex Everton did.. but I'm sure you'll be able tp clarify that as well.

Both Roger Kenyon and Trevor Ross played in European matches whilst at Everton.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 05:09:48 PM »

The thing that is more impressive about Carrodus and Shotton is that they played in Europe AFTER playing for Alty.  Should Shotton get picked for England, I imagine he'd be the first Alty player to become a full England international.  Is this the case?

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 08:11:52 AM »

There is a picture on page 83 of my Daily Mail which so delighted me when I saw it yesterday. It show Cameron Jerome celebrating with Ryan Shotton (His back to us), you can just make out part of his name near Camerons arms and his no 20 shirt I think. This fits in with his goal supply that the Mail picked up on the photo.

I wish that lad nothing but success on success and will follow his career with interest. Well done Ryan, you deserve it in my book after the efforts you put for us also.

seasonticket

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 09:06:53 AM »

We have had a number of players who played for England before coming to Alty but I think if Shotton got a cap he would not be the first ex Alty player to be capped. If my memory is correct I think Joe Kennedy got at least one England outing. He went to West Brom from us and was unfortunately playing in the same position as Billy Wright. That would be probably early fifties. There could have been others.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 09:07:44 AM »

Who was the last ex Alty player to start in a European tie? Doubt there have been too many!

I think that the answer to this question is Kyle Wilson....for Bangor City in a Champions League game against HJK Helsinki in July.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 12:56:44 PM »

We have had a number of players who played for England before coming to Alty but I think if Shotton got a cap he would not be the first ex Alty player to be capped. If my memory is correct I think Joe Kennedy got at least one England outing. He went to West Brom from us and was unfortunately playing in the same position as Billy Wright. That would be probably early fifties. There could have been others.

Joe Kennedy captained the England 'B' team but was never awarded a full England International cap.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 01:30:16 PM »

Shotton made it into my fantasy football squad this week.
Mainly because he was cheap mind
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Congrats Ryan Shotton