PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 One goes....one returns!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: One goes....one returns!  (Read 22949 times)

boltonrobin

Re: One goes....one returns!
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2011, 11:48:11 PM »

I'm afraid we've exchanged a player who used to be very good indeed at a higher level but has seen one season too many for one who has demonstrated he can only perform when chaperoned by a knowledgeable central defensive partner and who is probably only coming here for a month to REGAIN the fitness necessary to do a semi-decent job (for Telford).

Don't know whether to laugh or cry. (Probably the latter)

Robbie was told 3 weeks ago that telford dont want him, so maybe the loan is just for Lee to suss out if he's the right man before signing him again,...which we can do in BSN before someone else forgets ;)

Robbie Williams is tied into a 12 month contract with a years option at Telford. I'm sure we would all like to know where you got that info from?
We would surely have to buy him or extend the loan period if the club want to keep him any longer than the 28 day loan period?
Can't see that happening?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2011, 11:50:24 PM »

I'm afraid we've exchanged a player who used to be very good indeed at a higher level but has seen one season too many for one who has demonstrated he can only perform when chaperoned by a knowledgeable central defensive partner.

That looks like a very accurate synopsis to me.

Shame about Jones, as I initially thought that his experience would be beneficial for us this season, but his sell-by date simply expired whilst we weren't looking.

I'm not reassured at all by the recruitment of Williams, who endured a woeful time last season in a porous defence.

Puzzled that this new management team appear to be looking backwards.
Were there really no other options out there than a somewhat tainted former player?

I sincerely hope that my fears prove to be unfounded.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 12:03:12 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2011, 12:12:16 AM »

It does certainly on the surface seem a very lazy signing. By that I mean that we all knew he was available and the club had his phone number.

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2011, 12:21:16 AM »

Bloody Hell !!

You go out for the evening and get back to all this !!

At least I won't keep getting his name wrong anymore on Radio Robins

Although I do fear that the good work Lee Sinnott has instilled in the team about trying to play football from the back may just have taken a step backwards bringing back Robbie Williams (or should that be Gary Barlow?)

Bring back Paul Burton !!  ;)   ;)    ;)

bumble

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2011, 12:24:32 AM »

It does certainly on the surface seem a very lazy signing. By that I mean that we all knew he was available and the club had his phone number.

Ive heard that how Marc Joseph plays for his country...

bumble

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2011, 12:26:24 AM »

;D

Sorry for my rabblings but I do have my own mind. from what I saw he was our OAK TREE!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAaaaaaa!

I can think of a few people who think Robbie is a jOAK signing

whopper

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2011, 08:43:22 AM »

We know his passing isn't amazing, but I haven't seen many centre backs playing any decent through balls in this league either, I don't think we could realistically ask for a better replacement, great work alty

stubmanred

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2011, 09:18:19 AM »

Only just seen this - Have to say I am totally underwhelmed..

Williams was awful last season and didn't hesitate to move on (I know it was a level above and all that!) He's been injured pre season, but Telford clearly have seen him for what he is. Jones was awful, but Robbie does not play football from the back, he doesn't even hoof it, his right foot is more like a Pitching wedge!

At the end of the day you can shine sh*t, but it will still be sh*t!

I hope i'm proved wrong....

Disappointed this morning....

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2011, 09:25:15 AM »

I'm afraid we've exchanged a player who used to be very good indeed at a higher level but has seen one season too many for one who has demonstrated he can only perform when chaperoned by a knowledgeable central defensive partner and who is probably only coming here for a month to REGAIN the fitness necessary to do a semi-decent job (for Telford).

Don't know whether to laugh or cry. (Probably the latter)

Robbie was told 3 weeks ago that telford dont want him, so maybe the loan is just for Lee to suss out if he's the right man before signing him again,...which we can do in BSN before someone else forgets ;)

Robbie Williams is tied into a 12 month contract with a years option at Telford. I'm sure we would all like to know where you got that info from?
We would surely have to buy him or extend the loan period if the club want to keep him any longer than the 28 day loan period?
Can't see that happening?

Its been common knowledge in footy circles for some time that telford told him to find another club, surprised you hadnt heard ;)

Longman

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2011, 10:12:14 AM »

Jones was always rooted to the spot.

Jezza

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2011, 10:33:18 AM »

f***ing hell will we fans never learn?

No-one was clever enough to spot in pre season that Jones would struggle....in fact everyone was saying well done Lee...good signing...now everyone has the benefit of hindsight and slagged jones off to the extent he probably wouldn't want to play football again (have we forgotten the lessons of Mr Josef last year everyone????).....everyone demanded Lee did something and he has.....Robbie in my view is an alty player who plays with heart and I applaud Lee for making this switch.....those saying sh*t for sh*t deserve williams to suffer such a confidence lapse by this alone he heads in two own goals on saturday and costs us the match.....those showing a bit of goodwill deserve williams to give us a last minute winner..

get behind them FFS lads and remember that players can be sh*t for a few games and then suddenly become world class and we are all eating humble pie.......I'll bet jones plays against us at some stage and plays a blinder!

daleyjock

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2011, 12:52:20 PM »

really dont understand the disrespect for so many former players anyway, its shallow and shows weakness

stuart terry fair enough.... :o

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2011, 01:05:17 PM »

For me, we gave Twiss a clean slate following last seasons efforts, so we should do the same for Robbie. Yes, he was poor last season, but now has the chance to redeem himself. His 1st season at the club he did well with an experienced centre half with him. Hopefully he can do the same with Lees/Flynn and we can stop letting goals in the last few minutes of games.

And well done Lee for making this move. We saw it with Tinson what happens when a player goes a season too far, and unfortunately it has happened with Jones.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2011, 06:45:56 PM »

For me, we gave Twiss a clean slate following last seasons efforts, so we should do the same for Robbie. Yes, he was poor last season, but now has the chance to redeem himself. His 1st season at the club he did well with an experienced centre half with him. Hopefully he can do the same with Lees/Flynn and we can stop letting goals in the last few minutes of games.

And well done Lee for making this move. We saw it with Tinson what happens when a player goes a season too far, and unfortunately it has happened with Jones.
You are right Nash, clean sheet for robbie
Bernard Taylors barmy army

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2011, 08:40:16 PM »

Bring back Paul Burton !!  ;)   ;)    ;)

Yes indeed :D

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 One goes....one returns!