PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 twiss or astley?
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: twiss or astley?  (Read 12906 times)

DavidP

twiss or astley?
« on: August 23, 2011, 10:46:57 PM »

For me it has to be twiss as he holds the ball up well allowing reeves to run in behind the defence. I hear some people calling for  astley to play with reeves, sorry astley and reeves are both players who like to run onto the ball which would leave a huge gap between attack and midfield. Just really keen to see if anyone agrees.

whopper

Re: twiss or astley?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 11:04:17 PM »

I'm not a fan but he's trying so I think fans are encouraging him, but Whilst twiss hasn't played badly, I certainly don't see him putting in a matchwinning performance this season, in the first half he did his basic hold up job well, in the second half today he was totally unaffective and should have been subbed, he's scored 9 goals in his last 89 appearances so if you think he can help get us promoted don't hold your breath.

andrewflynn

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 11:16:42 PM »

Twiss has has a fairly decent start to the season and, in my opinion, has looked more effective at his role in our attacks than Reeves has been in his.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 11:20:18 PM »

Twiss is at least trying harder now and isnt playing too bad  but is too static sometimes and lacks pace  - Reeves runs his bollocks off every game. If its a choice between reeves and twiss then its a no brainer.

whopper

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 11:34:27 PM »

I said at the end of last season I wouldn't pay to watch him again and now everytime he chests the ball he gets a standing ovation very bizarre situation  ;D

mikealty

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 11:45:14 PM »

Astley is one for the future. Astley as a game changer sub (like Jonathan Tehoue for Orient) until Twissy eventually retires.

We really need to keep hold of him as pace is what we're missing right now!

markecky

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 11:48:57 PM »

I said at the end of last season I wouldn't pay to watch him again and now everytime he chests the ball he gets a standing ovation very bizarre situation  ;D

You've watched football long enough to be able to see an improvement in a players game.  Fair play to sticking to guns in your campaign.

Twiss was far better than Reeves tonight.

whopper

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 12:07:56 AM »

You've watched football long enough to be able to see an improvement in a players game.  Fair play to sticking to guns in your campaign.

Twiss was far better than Reeves tonight.
I can't agree with that lol ecky you have also watched football long enough to know that twiss hasn't got what it takes to score anywhere near what we need to go up, I actually admit he should start the game instead of astley but to finish it as well is just shockingly wrong, did nothing second half.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 12:10:51 AM »

find something better to do with your time than post a one sided campaign of insults against Michael Twiss on here. No one cares is you hate him that much.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

andrewflynn

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 12:11:19 AM »

find something better to do with your time than post a one sided campaign of insults against Michael Twiss on here. No one cares is you hate him that much.

Agreed

taxi Phil

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 12:13:37 AM »

Astley was coming on until they scored - why did THAT make a difference ? We'll never find out if he can hack it in BSN if he doesn't get on the pitch for more than eight minutes every other match !

Twissy did little wrong tonight, but what he did right didn't justify leaving him on. Should have been off around the 75 minute mark in my book.

Maybe Astley would have come on and settled it. Or maybe he'd have come on and been absolute sh*te. But if the lad doesn't come on at all how will we ever find out which is the more likely scenario ?

whopper

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 12:18:50 AM »

Agreed
I suggest u remind yourself his contribution since he's been here,steady on guys open your eyes I'm not the only one saying it look at the other posts, there is no insults just debate, I don't hate him just want alty to win
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:35:18 AM by whopper »

markecky

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 08:30:26 AM »

Agreed
I suggest u remind yourself his contribution since he's been here,steady on guys open your eyes I'm not the only one saying it look at the other posts, there is no insults just debate, I don't hate him just want alty to win

Whats the point of harping on about last season?  Last season he was fat, sh*t and unarsed but he isn't going to be able to do much about that now.

I'm just making the point that whatever he does you'll not give him any credit which is pretty sad.

The point I am making is that he is fitter, hungrier (possibly literally) and giving 100% this year. Which of course is exactly what a player should be doing.

whopper

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 12:30:41 PM »

Agreed

Whats the point of harping on about last season?  Last season he was fat, sh*t and unarsed but he isn't going to be able to do much about that now.

I'm just making the point that whatever he does you'll not give him any credit which is pretty sad.

The point I am making is that he is fitter, hungrier (possibly literally) and giving 100% this year. Which of course is exactly what a player should be doing.
ive give him credit for getting fitter and trying, all im saying is..... will this be good enough to help us go up? im not sure, i would say the same about brown too, where as players like reeves will bag 10+, and densmore clee have the quality to take us up for sure, if you can sight weaknesses in the team early on in this league you can bring players in when u want to improve as theres no restrictions, i reckon sinnot will be making plans already
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:37:30 PM by whopper »

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 12:38:32 PM »

Michael Twiss was poor last season, of that there is no doubt. However, the concensus also seems to be that he's gone away in the summer, lost a bit of weight and is now trying a lot harder. He'll score goals but probably not as many as Damian Reeves will.

For the record, I don't think that Twiss will ever be able to live up to the level of expectation that we had when he first signed. I reckon a lot of us (myself included) thought we were getting another Colin Little who would bag 20-30 goals a season. In retrospect he's been nothing like the kind of player Colin was and is never going to be either. However, if his improved efforts lead to Damian (or Astley for that matter) scoring more goals then his presence in the team will be completely justified. If someone better comes along and displaces him then so be it, but I think he deserves credit for his attitude and application so far this season.

Come on Alty!
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 twiss or astley?