Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Trying to work out what Workington are...
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Trying to work out what Workington are...  (Read 8704 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to work out what Workington are...
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 12:14:34 AM »

The fat lad is David McNiven, another one who seems to have played on forever....

Didn't we almost sign McNiven a few years ago, only for him to vamoose to somewhere like Scarborough at the eleventh hour?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 12:32:31 AM »

Bastock still playing? I wasn't sure he was still alive.

I recall that we never really got close to scoring that night, very frustrating.

You're correct Ballers........loads of pressure, but clear cut chances at a premium.

My last game before becoming a father!

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 12:34:15 AM »

The fat lad is David McNiven, another one who seems to have played on forever....

Didn't we almost sign McNiven a few years ago, only for him to vamoose to somewhere like Scarborough at the eleventh hour?

Yes....I think it was 2005/6 season.....he played for Scarborough when we won there 2-0.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 12:35:48 AM »

I recall that we never really got close to scoring that night, very frustrating.

He's claiming to be 41:

http://www.bufc.co.uk/Player?playerId=3377755

Boston will be bringing back Jim Kabia next....

That would have made him 20 when he was playing for Fisher that night.......sounds reasonable enough.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 12:37:40 AM »

You're correct Ballers........loads of pressure, but clear cut chances at a premium.

Thank God that the standards for admission into the Catholic priesthood have been raised considerably since April 1991.

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 12:57:39 AM »

I had a conversation with Jamie a while back where I mooted that the game that ended up being quite costly that season but has always slipped under the radar was the 0-0 draw at home to Stafford in late December. We'd just started really winning games at that point (Gary Anderson and to a lesser extent Tommy Miller's influence was starting to be felt) and I get the impression (was on holdiay) that it was just natural that you can't win them all.

Which we then basically did for about 3 months. For me, whereas the Fisher game was a damage limitation exercise against an Alty team who had clearly been marked out as a danger, that 0-0 v Stafford looks rather odd in the midst of a spell where we hammered in 3,4,5,6, even 9 goals at will in games!!

Whilst we slagged off last season's rabble for not winning or even scoring (or having a shot on target) against the bottom 2 sides (until the 2nd half v Eastbourne) quite how that 90/91 side that scored about 100 goals in all comps managed to draw 0-0 twice with a Fisher side that conceded nearly 100 is one of the GMVC's all time strange anomalies

bighairedmike

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 11:10:04 AM »

I reckon the Boston player will easily achieve his limbo under the crossbar.......he needs to have a go at a hurdle instead

Is that not "King" Kevin Holsgrove? Who, incidentally, scored the first from the penalty spot, gave away the penalty for Workingtons equaliser (where that photo is from I think) and then scored the  winner in the 90th minute.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 11:22:18 AM »

Yes....I think it was 2005/6 season.....he played for Scarborough when we won there 2-0.

Feel a bit nervous what with the Voice and the Cult on this thread, but wasn't it 2-1 with McNiven scoring for Scarborough?

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 11:25:14 AM »

Didn't we get a bizarre crowd of about 2,000 for that Fisher Athletic match due to the fact the FA Trophy semi-final tickets went on sale after the game? I remember attending the game with my Dad and being absolutely amazed that we couldn't score.
Come on Alty!

Dougals Dad

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 12:09:04 PM »

Thank God that the standards for admission into the Catholic priesthood have been raised considerably since April 1991.

I don't like to G someone with so many Gs already, but that made me lol!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 12:13:55 PM »

Feel a bit nervous what with the Voice and the Cult on this thread, but wasn't it 2-1 with McNiven scoring for Scarborough?

JTH,

No need at all to be timorous.....you are absolutely correct!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 01:16:47 PM »

I love your vocabulary Cult.

I'm willing to bet that this is the only fans forum in the entire country that has had the word 'timorous' used on it today!  :D

taxi Phil

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 10:29:14 PM »

I love your vocabulary Cult.

I'm willing to bet that this is the only fans forum in the entire country that has had the word 'timorous' used on it today!  :D
There won't be another that mentions Kafka either (see elsewhere)  :D

AltySi

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 05:27:12 PM »

I cannot believe how McNiven is still playing at that size. What a fat f***er. lokk after yourself a bit, you're a footballer.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:21:09 PM by Pork Pie »

taxi Phil

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 11:19:18 PM »

I cnnot believe how McNiven is still playing at that size. What a fat f***er. lokk after yourself a bit, you're a footballer.
See Club site. According to Cumbrian paper the "Times and Star" he's actually "the stocky striker". I believe this loosely translates as "obese midget".
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Trying to work out what Workington are...