News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Are we being a bit too optomistic...

Author Topic: Are we being a bit too optomistic...  (Read 2223 times)

scott tompson

« on: August 16, 2011, 05:04:14 PM »

i mean im not a pessimist dont get me wrong but i think people are being to optomistic about this new season as i think its going to be much harder than a walk over!!!! This might be a difficult night tonight against a side that ive never heard of. We cant judge a team in pre-season but do have a good/bad feeling about this season. But could see us finishing mid-table which i hope im wrong. i still think we need a few more players definitely like another striker and defender because i think a lot of paul jones but not the other centre-backs.

your thoughts....

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Are we being a bit too optomistic...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 05:08:23 PM »

Like Lee Sinnott said, you've got to give it 8 games or so before we can make any real judgement. I don't think most people are under any illusions as to the size of the task this season, but nor do I think it's wrong that people have high expectations. We've spent 6 years being a total underdog and now is the time to relish being one of the favourites.

Our first win will do us the power of good, and if this side can put a winning run together and build their confidence I think we'll start to see what some of our players are really capable of.
Come on Alty!

markecky

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 05:19:48 PM »

We'll need a few games for the league to level out and then see where we stand.

I saw enough at Harrogate to know that we are going to have games where our attacking football will be outstanding and if we get a couple of early goals then someone could get steamrollered.

I also know that individually some of our players will be miles better than the opposition.

I just worry a little that because we haven't heard of half of these teams (I make no apologies for not knowing a single fact about Solihull Moors) we assume they will be awful.

I think at the end of the Vauxhall game we'll have a better idea of the league, I expect them to be poor.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »

I reckon we're right to be optimistic. We are a good team as we have seen in pre season. A number of our players are proven at conference level and I reckon Nicky could make it in league 2! Basically what I'm trying to say is, I am optimistic because I have confidence in our fantastic new team. For now anyway, only thung I'm worried about is squad depth.

I know people want new signings but I doubt we'll see any.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

ScoreDaws

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 05:54:05 PM »

I am rather looking forward to going to Moss Lane this season, as there is a lot to be optomistic about. New league, squad and manager. It's been a hell of a long time since we  have had a decent home record and now is the time to put that right. Getting 3 points from our home games must be our priority from the start.  Bring it on!!

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 05:55:38 PM »

It's obviously very early, but I saw enough at Harrogate to make me very optimistic for the season ahead.
There's a difference between that and being arrogant or dismissive of the opposition. Optimism is good!!

RocketDan

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »

if anything we are being too conservative.

time to rebuild fortress Moss Lane -if we drop more than 15 points at home this season I will be disappointed.

14 wins, 6 draw, 1 loss at home is not an unrealistic target.

that said i do expect us to struggle away from homes at time due to the nature of the games.

Narcissist

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 06:58:34 PM »

Saturday could easily have been 4-1 to Alty.

Strikers need a couple of games to sharpen in front of goal, centre backs need a couple of games to forge a relationship and understanding. If it goes that way we'll cruise to a top 5 finish.

I think even after tonight we'll know more certainly what to expect. Too optimistic? I don't think it should be any other way right now.

COME ON ALTY!!!!!

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 07:19:52 PM »

The Harrogate manager seemed to think we were a good side, so assuming he knows his BSN then that's cause for optimism. To be honest I don't have a clue what the BSN is going to be like but what we musn't do is start to lump it when we go behind as we did that 15 minutes or so at Harrogate. The last time we were here Colin Little finished off a very high percentage of the chances we created. If Saturday's game is anything to go by, the number of chances we created through passing football suggests we've every chance of having a good season.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team