PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today's Altrincham FC Trivia Question
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Today's Altrincham FC Trivia Question  (Read 3222 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: August 15, 2011, 12:23:07 AM »

Following on from Adam Flynn's somewhat calamitous afternoon in Harrogate, who was the last player to be sent off on his debut for Altrincham FC in a competitive fixture?

Two points:

(i) the answer is not Jamie Phoenix against Kendal Town on Saturday, 28th September 2002, as he had come on as a substitute versus Marine at Moss Lane four days earlier;

(ii) I do not know what the correct answer is.....!

Flynny; Management Guru; Mike G et al - any ideas?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

taxi Phil

Re: Today's Altrincham FC Trivia Question
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:30:08 AM »

Cult in "Don't Know the Answer" Sensation !

Which gives ME absolutely no chance of answering this one. I actually can't remember a red card debut prior to yesterday, but doubtless by the time I return here tomorrow night SOMEBODY will have done !

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 08:01:21 AM »

The earliest Alty career sending off I can remember was Steve Davis away at Chorley around 87 or 88. He delivered a decent left hook to one if their defenders and I dont think he played for Alty again. Dont think it was his debut but a pretty early appearance.

Paul

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 08:46:05 AM »

I know it was not really a sending off - but Leo Skeete being forcibly substituted in his debut a pre season friendly (in a Flaherty-esque less than 5 minutes from taking the field) must be a spiritual candidate for the award.

I have to admit my brain is stuck in early season mode so I cant turn my mind to a new boy strutting out one Februaryeve before shuffling off the pitch head hung low.

bighairedmike

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 12:06:42 PM »

I'm not 100% that it was his debut, but about 2 years ago when we played Northw*ch in a pre-season game at their place a bloke got sent off for a tackle on one of their players. Think he was called McManus or something. A very decent player from what I remember, but wasn't given any more time to show what he could do after that red.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 12:08:48 PM »

I'm not 100% that it was his debut, but about 2 years ago when we played Northw*ch in a pre-season game at their place a bloke got sent off for a tackle on one of their players. Think he was called McManus or something. A very decent player from what I remember, but wasn't given any more time to show what he could do after that red.

yeah him, scored a lot of goals in his first 2 or 3 games. Think he ended up in the Welsh Premier...
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 12:28:49 PM »

The earliest Alty career sending off I can remember was Steve Davis away at Chorley around 87 or 88. He delivered a decent left hook to one if their defenders and I dont think he played for Alty again. Dont think it was his debut but a pretty early appearance.

Paul

Paul,

That's a good shout.....but I don't think it was his debut.

He was sent off at Chorley on Tuesday, 5th September 1989 and promptly released by Alty.

However, I believe that he had come on as a substitute against Sutton United at Moss Lane on the preceding Saturday.

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 12:33:57 PM »

yeah him, scored a lot of goals in his first 2 or 3 games. Think he ended up in the Welsh Premier...

Last heard of at Airbus UK Broughton:

http://www.welsh-premier.com/index.php/component/playersearch/detail/313/player/1860

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 12:36:22 PM »

Cult in "Don't Know the Answer" Sensation !

Which gives ME absolutely no chance of answering this one. I actually can't remember a red card debut prior to yesterday, but doubtless by the time I return here tomorrow night SOMEBODY will have done !

Phil,

You may be relieved to know that I believe that I do now have a potentially correct answer to this one.

Two clues:

(i) 1990s;

(ii) Kettering Town.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 02:23:04 PM »

Steve DAvies was the one who sprung to mind. Did we end up with 10 on an opening day reverse to Kettering? Phil Bolland? Grant Leitch?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 12:22:48 AM »

Steve DAvies was the one who sprung to mind.

Did we end up with 10 on an opening day reverse to Kettering?

Phil Bolland? Grant Leitch?

Ballers,

Yes.....but the player sent off wasn't Phil Bolland or Grant Leitch (you did well to remember that second character!).

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 12:29:30 AM »

I remember bemusement that Grant Leitch was playing having not seen him before that day, or to be more precise that he appeared to be the focal point of our play just behind the striker(s). He was crap, a bit fat and did one good bit of skill as we attacked the golf road 1st half I think.

I don't know the answer but my memory veers towards Paul Collings having a bit of a mare and maybe one of the full backs getting sent off.

Steve Cross?

Where the hell is that copy of Kingdom Come when I need it?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 12:41:56 AM »

I remember bemusement that Grant Leitch was playing having not seen him before that day, or to be more precise that he appeared to be the focal point of our play just behind the striker(s). He was crap, a bit fat and did one good bit of skill as we attacked the golf road 1st half I think.

I don't know the answer but my memory veers towards Paul Collings having a bit of a mare and maybe one of the full backs getting sent off.

Steve Cross?

Where the hell is that copy of Kingdom Come when I need it?

Ballers,

You are inching closer to the answer with each response that you post.

It's a full back but not Steve Cross (who memorably scored two on his debut against Vics in November 1993).

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 12:50:44 AM »

Was it Darren Heesom?

If so, not his costliest sending off for us againast a team beginning with K!!

I seem to recall that we often played Kettering either on the opening day or in August in days gone by.

Which I think leads me on to the most calamitous Alty debut of all time. For a chap named Dave Esser / Dave Serella??

Jacobs

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 07:45:05 AM »

Did Jamie Rampling get sent off in his first game at Emley back in 1998, Was he not Bernard Taylors nephew and lasted about 10 minutes?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team