Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Nervous? Confident? Pessimistic? or just Happy?
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nervous? Confident? Pessimistic? or just Happy?  (Read 5032 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Nervous? Confident? Pessimistic? or just Happy?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 12:23:13 PM »

I fear we may have too small a squad for what we need. If Lee's going with the quality not quantity mantra then we prob need a bit more quality to be honest, a right winger/midfielder and a striker.

Have to concur with Ballers.

However, we haven't really seen enough of Richman to date in order to make any sort of fair judgment as to his abilities.

Defensively, we should be OK but, alas, I just do not regard a strikeforce of Reeves and Twiss as being prolific enough to score the necessary amount of goals to facilitate a promotion push.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 12:30:12 PM »

That's what I expressed earlier in the thread. I'm just hoping the manager realises this too - Im sure he does. However, finding another 20-odd goals a season player at this stage (and with our finances and what we can afford to pay) is going to present a real problem.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Jacko

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 01:00:36 PM »

I think we will beat harrogate and get a few good results over the first 2 months and be right up there, then as inevitable injuries start to come through are squad size will hinder us, then of course the January sales might land us a lifeline,
I hope I'm wrong, but was sinnots farsley promotion squad this small? I very much doubt it

Hamilton

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 01:09:13 PM »

There's always the loan market if needs be.

joe

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »

I'm sure the transfer window doesn't apply at this level so players can come and go much more freely if things aren't going so well.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 03:52:42 PM »

I'm sure the transfer window doesn't apply at this level so players can come and go much more freely if things aren't going so well.

Apart from anyone who's on a contract....

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Eatmygoal

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 08:25:38 PM »

Really looking forward to this season. In a way coming down has been a good thing for Alty. The club has had time to re-group and take stock, and with the new manager it feels like there is a real air of expectation and the pressure to achieve is self imposed and controlled.

Blimey...I'm going for a lie down.

markecky

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 01:59:08 PM »

I'm very happy with the progress so far and very impressed with the no nonsense attitude of Lee Sinnott.

However our enforced budget cuts have left the squad thin and I think for me that rules out any title challenge.  I would expect us to float between 4th and 8th on a regular basis.

I think we'll win and lose a lot of games 1-0 and go on a little run that will make us think "could we win it?" and then a bad run coinciding with injury where we'll lose a few on the bounce as well.

I also predict that during the season there will be calls for Lee to be knighted and also questions if he is the man for the job after not playing the lazy bloke who comes for a trial who has good hair and a chantable name.

I'm looking forward to it immensely and think we'll do well.

And I am bouyed by the fact that if we don't do as well as expected the gaffer won't be scared to chop anyone and get fresh faces in.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 03:22:51 PM »

My feeling is that whatever happens this season we are at the start of an exciting new era. I like the way Lee Sinnott has gone about things so far and I think that we have a good chance of making the playoffs next April/May.

I'm looking upon it as a long term thing and not just the next season. The club is in good hands and during the next 2 to 3 years I personally think we'll achieve promotion.

Come on Alty!

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 07:05:37 PM »

I agree with the last post. There were times when we tried to get access to the Football League via winning the Gola League then going through the vote system. The downside of Auto-promotion is that full time teams come down but stay full time, while others who realistically cannot afford it get into problems when they stay full time.

I am glad we did not go down the road of other clubs, and all I ask is that my club remins stable and cuts its cloth accordingly. I am not convinced that auto promotion next season would not be too much too soon, and we will end up where we left off, but will leave it in Lee's more than capable hands. Things will probrably be different with new management, impressive friendlies and some new players, all meaning new ideas which to me is very refreshing and even more intriguing. This led me to book Alex and me on the coach this weekend to support us away.

Lets win more games than we lose, and build on that, and if it proves we are good enough to win this league then I will take that and look forward to building on that the following season. Looking forward to Saturday, lets get behind the lads and make sure they hear us as we do our bit for them.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Nervous? Confident? Pessimistic? or just Happy?