PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 FA Cup tie vs Hartlepool FC, 1973
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FA Cup tie vs Hartlepool FC, 1973  (Read 7307 times)

JohnHUFC

« on: August 02, 2011, 10:11:17 PM »

Hi there, Hartlepool fan here.

For the last few years I have been developing a database/website centred on my own club. As part of that I have had to gather up opposition lineups and goalscorers for more than 4000 matches. I'm almost there, having pretty much nailed all of the Football League games, and I'm just hoovering up the last remaining odds and sods.

Altrincham and Hartlepool have met just once, in an FA Cup tie on 24th November 1973, with Alty enjoying a 100% record against us.

http://www.inthemadcrowd.co.uk/cgi-bin/itmc_view_match.asp?oid=2506

I have the following Altrincham lineup in notes:

(Peter) Eales
(Stan) Allan
(John) Davison
(John) Owens
(Gerry) Casey
(Joey) Pritchard
(Graham) Heathcote
(Lennie) Dickinson
Dickin
(Mickey) Brooke
(Tony) Broadhead
Sub: (Andy) Windsor

Scorers: Dickinson, Windsor

I'm not certain of those first names, and there is one player (Dickin) for whom I have no record of his first name at all.  Would somebody please be kind enough to confirm or correct what I've got.  All help much appreciated.

All the best for the new season
John Phillips

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: FA Cup tie vs Hartlepool FC, 1973
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 10:25:41 PM »

Hi John,
all your first names are correct.
Not sure about Dickin, but I'm sure 'The Cult' will fill in all the details.
All the best,
Bry

taxi Phil

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 10:31:38 PM »

Hi John,
all your first names are correct.
Not sure about Dickin, but I'm sure 'The Cult' will fill in all the details.
All the best,
Bry

May have been Ted ? Andy Windsor's goal was one of the best strikes I've seen at Moss Lane. Good luck for this season (unless we draw you in the Cup of course !)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 11:16:26 PM »

For the last few years I have been developing a database/website centred on my own club. As part of that I have had to gather up opposition lineups and goalscorers for more than 4000 matches. I'm almost there, having pretty much nailed all of the Football League games, and I'm just hoovering up the last remaining odds and sods.

Altrincham and Hartlepool have met just once, in an FA Cup tie on 24th November 1973, with Alty enjoying a 100% record against us.

(Peter) Eales
(Stan) Allan
(John) Davison
(John) Owens
(Gerry) Casey
(Joey) Pritchard
(Graham) Heathcote
(Lennie) Dickinson
Dickin
(Mickey) Brooke
(Tony) Broadhead

I'm not certain of those first names, and there is one player (Dickin) for whom I have no record of his first name at all.  Would somebody please be kind enough to confirm or correct what I've got.  All help much appreciated.

John Phillips

John,

Alty's No. 9 that afternoon was Ted Dickin, who was replaced by Andy Windsor after 75 minutes.

It was generally Joe rather than 'Joey' Pritchard.

The match kicked off at 2.15pm owing to the power emergency at that time.

Malcolm Moore replaced Don Heath after 75 minutes.

The Alty goalscorers were:

(1) Lennie Dickinson: 72 minutes;

(2) Andy Windsor: 81 minutes (an absolutely stunning volley from 30 yards out!).

One of my fondest memories from my early days of watching Alty.

Hope all that helps.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 11:26:02 PM »

(Peter) Eales
(Stan) Allan
(John) Davison
(John) Owens
(Gerry) Casey
(Joey) Pritchard
(Graham) Heathcote
(Lennie) Dickinson
Dickin
(Mickey) Brooke
(Tony) Broadhead

John Phillips

John,

Alty's No. 9 that afternoon was Ted Dickin, who was replaced by Andy Windsor after 75 minutes.

It was generally Joe rather than 'Joey' Pritchard.

The match kicked off at 2.15pm owing to the power emergency at that time.

Malcolm Moore replaced Don Heath after 75 minutes.

The Alty goalscorers were:

(1) Lennie Dickinson: 72 minutes;

(2) Andy Windsor: 81 minutes (an absolutely stunning volley from 30 yards out!).

One of my fondest memories from my early days of watching Alty.

Hope all that helps.

Ballboy Popular Side - Henderson, John (13 years and 3 months)

JohnHUFC

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 12:28:12 AM »

Great stuff, thanks for all the responses, especially TCOIT for probably the most detailed response I've received to a query like this!  :o

I'll update the site tomorrow.  Need to sleep now but it's just too damned hot!

Thanks again
John

Jezza

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 08:03:40 AM »

John...if you need the names and addresses of the crowd then the cult will be pleased to e-mail you....we used to think he has a big book of alty trivia but it really does all come from memory.....

....some say he has a 120gb brain.....and that he has no concept of going upstairs and then forgetting what he's gone up there
 for..............
.......all we  know is..... he's called the cult!

roytonmike

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 08:21:45 AM »

John -
No man alive can compete with the Cult in matters of detail - but for what it's worth I don't think he mentioned the 'gate' figure - 2,923 (tho' as Jezza says he could probably give you all their names & addresses!).

thegazelle

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 03:06:01 PM »

can we have the address of the hartlepool fan who broke the window on the side of the main stand (and cue SW with a story). or the bully boy fans who surprisingly met their match on the day.
crowd member 2856 Gazelle The............ age 13 years  11 days

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 07:10:19 PM »

I thought that George Yardley played for us in that game or was that the day that we signed him and he only played in both games agaist Blackburn but never again?
He was a renowned centre forward with Tranmere Rovers and we signed him on his return from playing in Australia. He was a big name signing that was an instant flop. I remember him complaining to Roy Rees when he dropped him and his objection was that he was being judged on performances against league clubs.

I remember that fracas on the popular side - we wouldnt worry about County fans (or anyone else for that matter) in those days.

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 08:02:05 PM »

I thought that George Yardley played for us in that game or was that the day that we signed him and he only played in both games agaist Blackburn but never again?
He was a renowned centre forward with Tranmere Rovers and we signed him on his return from playing in Australia. He was a big name signing that was an instant flop. I remember him complaining to Roy Rees when he dropped him and his objection was that he was being judged on performances against league clubs.

I remember that fracas on the popular side - we wouldnt worry about County fans (or anyone else for that matter) in those days.
Long Long time ago that.
but we all have all got  older, and wiser!! ;)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 12:54:11 AM »

I think that we signed George Yardley just before the Blackburn game.He may have played the Saturday before we played Blackburn at Ewood Park.....I think we won 3-0 at home & I'm sure Ted Dickin scored.I can't remember him playing after the Blackburn games....if he did it was only once or twice.

roytonmike

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 10:25:01 AM »

I think that we signed George Yardley just before the Blackburn game.He may have played the Saturday before we played Blackburn at Ewood Park.....I think we won 3-0 at home & I'm sure Ted Dickin scored.I can't remember him playing after the Blackburn games....if he did it was only once or twice.
Correct in all respects, Mr Flynn - Yardley played (and scored twice) at home to Barrow on Dec 8 '73, Ted Dickin being indeed the other scorer; he then played the two Blackburn games; then at Scarborough on Dec 29 before fading (unmourned) from view.

AT

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 11:58:35 AM »

John -
No man alive can compete with the Cult in matters of detail - but for what it's worth I don't think he mentioned the 'gate' figure - 2,923 (tho' as Jezza says he could probably give you all their names & addresses!).

I would possibly beg to differ, I am sure that Brian Flynn could tell you the weather at 23 minutes of any game he has ever been to, I am sure that his notebook has everything down to when the grass was last cut at a certain ground he has visited to the nearest 100th of a second.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 03:51:25 PM »

John -

I would possibly beg to differ, I am sure that Brian Flynn could tell you the weather at 23 minutes of any game he has ever been to, I am sure that his notebook has everything down to when the grass was last cut at a certain ground he has visited to the nearest 100th of a second.

You make me sound like a real saddo..........not the well rounded upstanding individual that most people know ;D ;D ;D

Anyway.......have the Sydney Police caught up with you yet?????

They won't fall for the "I was listening to Radio Robins in my room, Officer" alibi :o :o :o
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team