News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Junior Football - one of City's players

Author Topic: Junior Football - one of City's players  (Read 2239 times)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: July 15, 2011, 08:22:41 PM »

Hi Guys

Just returned from a holiday in South Wales. Had a phone call from one my close friends whose son is playing for Man City on Saturday against us.

Paul Clowes is one of the 23 man squad City are bringing down. Our Junior coach Chris Bullock brought Paul from one of his soccer schools he ran at Woodheys Primary - my old primary school! Paul signed for Unicorn Atheltic as a 6 year old junior, and I was his first junior football manager. Even then he was a great player in a very good side which also contained Alty Fans Harry Hatchell and Josh Smith, as well as my own younger son Alex - an Alty season ticket holder with me.

That was a great side and won the first Timperley and District Junior tournament at the JJB soccerdome - beating Urmston Town 5-0 in the final - Paul scored three and Harry scored a couple as well. In Paul's very first game for me he hit a hatrick, and during his debut, was picked up by the Man City scout. He only spent one season with me, but what a player. He left at the end of the season and went to City's academy at the age of 7, sigining full forms last April. I remember just after we had signed him, one of the other kids saying,' I'm glad he signed for us rather than us having to play against him!'

So it is with a little bit of pride also that I will be able to watch a lad whom I was his first manager, and also became a friend of his family thereon. I hope and prey that Paul makes it all the way to the top, as I am almost certain he will. His parents and the rest of the family will not be the only one watching with fierce pride tomorrow - I will as well.

One of my other players was Ryan Barry, now playing for Alty youth with George. I wish him all the best also; and jeeze I hope he eventually joins the senior squad in time. I know I will probrably have a zimmer frame and incontinence in my later years, but please god let one at least of these kids make it. I will have great joy following their carreers in years to come.

Steve from Sale

flaggerN

Re: Junior Football - one of City's players
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 10:25:50 PM »

Would that be the same Ryan Barry who scored a superb free kick in Tuesday nights friendly against Chadderton at Stockports training ground. I don't think it could have been closer to the post and crossbar angle

george

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 10:56:44 PM »

Yes, the same Ryan Barry. He scored a delightful free kick in our 6 - 2 win v. Chadderton. Observers @ the game included Colin Little & Steve Strange (former Altrincham players)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 12:35:58 AM »

Blimey!!

He scored one for Unicorn Athletic JFC at The Willows Primary School, V Alderley Edge Juniors. He hit it inside the angle of the crossbar and post in just the same way. He was 9 at the time, and I can still hear his dad going phwoooaaarrr after he hit it. 

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 08:26:22 AM »

Going back to my original thread, I forgot to mention another member of that squad with Paul Clowes was a lad called Ben Hunter, who I actually think was amongst the goals in that final, and also definitely in the first game. Ben was then a no-nonsense gritty midfielder for a six year old. He left Unicorn at the age of 11-12 and went to Hale Barns, just before they became Alty FC Juniors. To my knowledge, he is still there in the Alty FC Juniors Youth team, unless of course George now has him (Which would not surprise me, George???). I am sure a lot at Alty FC Juniors know Ben very well, is he still playing?

Other members of the original squad include George Riley, Corey Morgan, Haydn George, and Kyle Barbara.

George Riley was also a key player in that squad, eventually signing for Everton Juniors where he stayed for a number of years before leaving of his own accord. George Riley's father John, and Alan Clowes, Paul's dad, are part of my beer and curry group who meet up every so often and drink real ale!! We favour the Old Market Tavern, and sometimes see Foz and Graeme Rowley there.

An interesting fact from that first final we won, I still have it on a cherished DVD kindly given to me by Paul's dad! I still watch it even now, it's a nostalgia trip for me. I can honestly say that Junior Football has left me with many happy memories!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team