PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Radio Robins Coverage of Altrincham v Burnley
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Radio Robins Coverage of Altrincham v Burnley  (Read 8217 times)

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Robins Coverage of Altrincham v Burnley
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 04:43:30 PM »

Just from an initial quick look:

http://www.host2stream.com/
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 05:30:11 PM »

Only nosey as i work in the world of data how are you streaming the data? Hardwire or wirless ?  Also who is the data provider and speed etc?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 05:34:42 PM by wayno »
ParkINson's red and white army

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 08:18:50 AM »

Only nosey as i work in the world of data how are you streaming the data? Hardwire or wirless ?  Also who is the data provider and speed etc?

Wayno.......Paul B. will probably be able to give you a definitive answer, but I think the answers to your questions are:-

1) Wireless
2) Shoutcast
3) We have tried various speeds between 24-48bps.......yesterday, because of the number of listeners, we set it at the lowest speed in the end, which was 24bps @ 22050khz (that might not be exactly correct, but I can't check at the minute as for some reason the information keeps flashing up on my screen & then immediately disappears).

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 08:20:36 AM »

I'd be interested (via my business) in sponsoring a full-fat Radio Robins - if you can get some numbers together PM me.

Thanks bigcol, I'll be in touch.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 08:37:48 AM »

Thanks for the comments on this thread folks.

It was always envisaged that Radio Robins would provide revenue for the club & we will be looking at different options to achieve this, with a view to having something in place by the time the season starts.

It seems that the technical issues we experienced during the first half of yesterday's game, were caused by the number of listeners......we have never reached 200+ before, therefore we will look into utilising more robust software for the coming season.

Fortunately, we have a couple of weeks to look at this as the next game that we are considering covering is the Tranmere game on July 23rd.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 09:26:28 AM »

Wayno.......Paul B. will probably be able to give you a definitive answer, but I think the answers to your questions are:-

1) Wireless
2) Shoutcast
3) We have tried various speeds between 24-48bps.......yesterday, because of the number of listeners, we set it at the lowest speed in the end, which was 24bps @ 22050khz (that might not be exactly correct, but I can't check at the minute as for some reason the information keeps flashing up on my screen & then immediately disappears).

I am not an expert here- but there will be a couple of things i can see that will affecting the shoutcast transmission- first will be the fact you are streaming wirless- this always affects the quality and speed the best solotion is hardwire although i know this wont always be possible

Its also worth having no other applications running at the same time as the shoutcast as this can slow things down

In my exierence there will always be a time delay with shoutcast of anything from seconds to minutes as part of the buffering process

On the speed you selected i think the lower you get the quality suffers- i normally run it at 96kps minimum and it rarley buffers- so may be worth so more tests

On the issue of wierless i am certain you can get devices to boost the wirless network (are you using a hub or a phone netwrk signal ?)
ParkINson's red and white army

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 10:53:29 AM »

1) Wireless
2) Shoutcast

I am not an expert here- but there will be a couple of things i can see that will affecting the shoutcast transmission- first will be the fact you are streaming wirless- this always affects the quality and speed the best solotion is hardwire although i know this wont always be possible

Its also worth having no other applications running at the same time as the shoutcast as this can slow things down

In my exierence there will always be a time delay with shoutcast of anything from seconds to minutes as part of the buffering process

On the speed you selected i think the lower you get the quality suffers- i normally run it at 96kps minimum and it rarley buffers- so may be worth so more tests

On the issue of wierless i am certain you can get devices to boost the wirless network (are you using a hub or a phone netwrk signal ?)

Thanks for the input Wayno. The actual connection to the internet, either wired or wireless is not the issue here, certainly at Moss Lane. The problems we are encountering is a reliability with the Shoutcast service itself - we have found when it reaches a certain number of listeners the server kicks users out, won't let new listeners in and ultimately the server has to be restarted. Yesterday was a good case in point - all working fine until just before 3pm when the Shoutcast server was hit with a rush of new listeners taking it to a total of over 250 and the server just couldn't cope. We restarted it and broadcast at a lower rate and as you rightly point out, the broadcast quality suffers though it was quite acceptable yesterday. At the lower rate however, the direct web page broadcast doesn't work and listeners have to use Winamp, Media Player or RealPlayer to access the stream. The trade off is that at the lower rate (24k yesterday) the server handled 167 listeners at its peak and didn't falter again once it was settled.

The broadcast delay is just something we have to live with - I guess if people are listening to the commentary they aren't at the the game so wont be too bothered about what has been a typically (for us) 30 second lag.

Away games are a different matter  - we are in the hands of the host club with regard to the internet connectivity so actually getting the commentary to Shoutcast can prove problematic in itself.

I'll open a new thread for Radio Robins Technical Discussions so that everyone else on here who wants to to talk about the far more important topic of football can ignore us geeks  :D ;D

Paul
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Radio Robins Coverage of Altrincham v Burnley