PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Your tastiest alty game ever???
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your tastiest alty game ever???  (Read 9920 times)

York Alty

Re: Your tastiest alty game ever???
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 11:35:29 AM »

That FA cup tie at  Frickley in the mid 80s is the most terrified I have ever been watching Alty.
What a bunch of nutcases, even the police were being attacked in the ground.
Afterwards I couldn't catch the train back as the station was picketed by about 20 Frickley supporters. A bus came past, I jumped on and asked the driver where he was going. Barnsley he said, I replied 'That'll do' and ran upstairs!!.

miners strike.  deep into mining terrority there - the police were seen as the enemy.  still are in some places.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 01:22:40 PM »

Carshalton Athletic!! That's a great shout Cult. Yes it certainly was robust, even with the team we had that time who although not great were capable of looking after themselves at least. If memory serves, we won 2-0 on a drizzly afternoon, Keith Mountford scoring at the Chequers end? Don't know who got the other, might've been an own goal.

I was at Frickley as a young lad two but wasn't that scared, there seemed to be rioting like you'd never imagine with the police but me, my dad and most other Alty fans were completely ignored. The closet I remember was some bloke barging past my dad so he could get at police a few hundred yards away. I don't think youngsters these days could ever comprehend what the miner's strike was like.

To me it was what the Civil War must've been like.

With regards to the incident with George Sheperd afterthe Bishop Auckland game I think there was an altercation that was swiftly put to bed by the intervention and left hooks of Ian Horrigan, our dimunitive and crap scouse midfielder who happened to be a pro boxer too!!

For the Bishop Auckland riot itself I don't know how on earth to explain it to our newer generation, not sure they'd believe me. Let's just say that when you see police horses charging IN To the Chequers end you know it's unprecedented.

My actual favourite footnote to that day was that the whole Specials Unit and Tactical Aid Team was sent down to Moss Lane, everything that the GMP had was here. They all left their posts from the Man Utd game (who I think were at home to Coventry). Unbeknow to everyone at OT there was about 2 policeman and a dog on duty the second half for a crowd of 55,000 absolutely anything could've happened!

thegazelle

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 03:22:45 PM »

bizarrely i recall the referee for the rochdale game was one Vic Callow. Derek gouding was one of the sentofees.

amusing anecdote on the day, Ozzie the punk was in attendance wearing his f**k argentina england shirt (which slightly perturbed my mother when he called at our house to pick me up)
during the first half i went for a pee at the golf road end and on the way back got punched on the back of my head by a rochdale fan who was part of a gang trying to take the golf road . i turned to square up to him only to see a very large bundle of pink mohican go flying past doc martins first. said bunch of rochdale fans fled shouting " sorry ozzie didnt know you were an alty fan we'll go back to our own end". apparently they knew / had heard of him from clubs in manchester.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 03:26:11 PM »

bizarrely i recall the referee for the rochdale game was one Vic Callow. Derek gouding was one of the sentofees.

amusing anecdote on the day, Ozzie the punk was in attendance wearing his f**k argentina england shirt (which slightly perturbed my mother when he called at our house to pick me up)
during the first half i went for a pee at the golf road end and on the way back got punched on the back of my head by a rochdale fan who was part of a gang trying to take the golf road . i turned to square up to him only to see a very large bundle of pink mohican go flying past doc martins first. said bunch of rochdale fans fled shouting " sorry ozzie didnt know you were an alty fan we'll go back to our own end". apparently they knew / had heard of him from clubs in manchester.

i can rememember that ozzie bloke  was he a local ?

bumble

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 03:47:34 PM »

I'm starting to think ive missed all the fun...

thegazelle

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 03:58:01 PM »

Flixton was home to the mohicaned one   further stories include him being Arrested and locked up at wycombe " for his own safety" The coach had to go and pick him and a couple of others (possibly including a proltz brother) from the police station on the way home.  he was last gheard of living in Perth Australia and is probably a fine upstanding pillar of society or may be not.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 05:09:47 PM »

A couple more from the stewarding side Torquay at home the Heathcote punch
Aston united Marcus Hallows game it was all kicking off all over and there was an incident between our own fans and managers
family in the main stand, Getting a text Sunday morning to go and buy the Sunday pink your on the front page seperating
our manager from hitting his own fans.
@AltyDaz

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 05:26:49 PM »

Mr gazelle,

Derek Goulding had left Moss Lane by then.

The two Alty players sent off by the aforementioned Vic Callow were Gary Anderson and Roger Kenyon.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 05:28:08 PM »

Anyone else recollect the visit to Moss Lane of Carshalton Athletic in an FA Trophy tie back in 1989?

I'm not sure if they managed to receive a red card on that particular afternoon....but, my word, what a team of cloggers they were!

I recall one Curtis Warmington as being a particularly 'robust' individual whom, I believe did get somewhat earlier use of the bath water than his team mates

Phil,

Curtis Warmington.....well remembered!

He was built like Frank Bruno, as I recall.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Your tastiest alty game ever???