PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Mark Maddox
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Mark Maddox  (Read 268898 times)

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
Re: Mark Maddox
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2011, 01:55:45 PM »

One of the nicest men I have ever met in football, it is a bad bit of news. Wish Mark well, and will definately be there on 23rd.

The honestly of the man was amazing too. Remember him stupidly getting sent off at Exeter, and felt he let everyone down he apologised in his programme notes for the next game.

Didn't he score the winning penalty in the FA Trophy shoot out against Kettering after a 3-3 draw?
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2011, 04:27:09 PM »

oh the FA Trophy overhead kick. I couldnt attend the game and was never sure if this was just a myth to wind me up for not going but alas it is true :)

Leigh is the one that stands out for me ... By a long shot.

Plus the time I was in my dads car after he had picked me up from Moss Lane and as we were sat in traffic outside the ground a certain 'Mad Dog' slammed both hands on the bonnet and shouted towards me ... I laughed and waved .. My Dad just looked shocked and was delighted I knew the mad man (or dog) on the bonnet :) - as I said LEGEND.... I told my dad about coming back up for the Tranmere game and described him as the footballer who did the slam on the bonnet and he remembered him straight away.. ha ha

bumble

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2011, 04:39:55 PM »

Just thought I'd post a couple of my memories of Mark when he was a player here:

That goal at Leigh in the FA Trophy and the photo of him running to all the Alty fans - it's one of my favourite ever moments as an Alty fan.

His overhead kick consolation goal at Bishop Auckland in the Trophy. A terrible game but a superb moment all the same.

The equaliser against Darlington in the FA Cup in 2001. What a header that was!!

Also, when Mark briefly joined Barrow in 1998 I remember him walking towards the tunnel at Holker Street at half time (I think it was the Peter Swailes Shield game) and the Alty supporters all clapped when he walked past. He thanked everyone for the good natured applause and you could see that it meant a lot to him that we'd not booed/heckled him.

Just a few brief moments in the career of a great man.

is that photo still around?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2011, 04:52:40 PM »

As requested.....

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

safe95

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2011, 08:30:16 PM »

This is very distressing news and I wish Mark and his family all the very best. Does this disease know what it is taking on ?, because Mad dog will be uncompromising in his fight against it, just like he was on the pitch in every crunching tackle and each towering header.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
@AltyDaz

Altyant

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2011, 09:19:32 PM »

Sad, sad news. Was gutted to hear this news.

Will definitely be there on the 23rd.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2011, 10:59:49 PM »

bumble

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2011, 11:09:59 PM »

Just a thought? Maybe swap the colin little banner/image for a mad dog one? Even if it's just temporary

daisy

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2011, 09:37:18 AM »

Absolutely devastated by this news, during his time playing for Alty Mark was my favourite player. My 21st birthday present was a signed shirt of his - I was delighted! I loved that Mark, and pretty much the whole team at that time, would join the fans in the bar after matches - it was such a great atmosphere! I think my favourite Maddog moment was also the Leigh game! I will definitely be there on the 23rd - and willing to help in anyway required.

Best wishes Mads, hope to see you on the 23rd!xxx

Eddie Hussin

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2011, 10:57:57 AM »

Hello all

I would just like to echo Rods comments. Mads gained the respect of team mates, opponents and fans alike for his non nonsense approach to the game and it's only to the odd injured striker who would have a bad word to say about him haha

All the staff and playoff players where devastated by this news when we found out leading up to the reunion a number of months ago. The reunion itself was both enjoyable to be back together again but very hard knowing what Mads was going through.

After that night a few of the players spoke about what support could be given and an a match was mentioned but knowing what a proud man Mads is it was felt it would have to be a TESTIMONIAL match as reward for his service to the club and not just because of his illness. Plus we new Mads was and still is trying to shelter Sonny his eldest son from the news for as long as possible.

The fact that it has been announced as a benefit match now will increase the attendance as I know players, managers and fans of others clubs will be attending to show there support for Mads but i know Mads would like to see the match as his TESTIMONIAL.

Mads hasn't been on the forum himself which is understandable as it's hard enough for us to read the posts but I do know that a number of people have been passing on the messages of support of which he is very grateful & humbled.

So let's get behind the LEGENDS TESTIMONIAL as I'm sure we all will.

AltyG

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2011, 11:36:02 AM »

Mark Maddox is one of the few past players who could command the respect we are seeing from all who know him or, like me, just cheered him on as a fan.
It is obvious from the comments posted by Rod and Eddie how much he means to his team mates.

I wish Mark well in his fight against this terrible disease and know that if his exploits on the pitch are anything to go by the disease has a hard fight on its hands.

Graham

taxi Phil

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »

The Tranmere game would normally involve them in sending a reserve/youth team along. We've always enjoyed a good relationship with them, right back to the days in the 50's when we played their reserve team in the Cheshire County League.

Is there any chance that, their being aware of our intentions to make it a testimonial to a much loved member of the family that is Altrincham FC, they could be persuaded to send their strongest team on this occasion ? If we could publicise that this would be happening, it would increase the attendance even further.

We all want to see Moss Lane packed out for this one, and provide an atmosphere that will leave Mad Dog in no doubt about the love and respect every one of us has for him.

mrsband

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2011, 09:49:17 PM »

When Karen told me about this around christmas time, I had to come home and tell Bandy. Seeing him crumpled on the living room floor in tears was one of the worst things to see. I cant put into words how we feel about Mads other than to say we are honoured to know him, and it was an honour for Bandy to play alongside him.
We are there on the 23rd, Bandy has already told his new club he won't be playing in their friendly that day. We wouldn't miss it for the world. My parents and brother are coming, as their memories too are of the Mads era, and they don't want to be anywhere else on that day.
As Rod and Eddie have already said, the players from that time hold Mark in such high esteem, he has the heart of a lion, and will fight this with as much courage and diginty as he can. Let's help him and his family as they deal with this cruel blow, and make as much as possible for a true legend.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2011, 11:06:45 PM »

The Tranmere game would normally involve them in sending a reserve/youth team along. We've always enjoyed a good relationship with them, right back to the days in the 50's when we played their reserve team in the Cheshire County League.

Is there any chance that, their being aware of our intentions to make it a testimonial to a much loved member of the family that is Altrincham FC, they could be persuaded to send their strongest team on this occasion ? If we could publicise that this would be happening, it would increase the attendance even further.

We all want to see Moss Lane packed out for this one, and provide an atmosphere that will leave Mad Dog in no doubt about the love and respect every one of us has for him.

I note that we are due to play a Manchester City XI the Saturday before the Trannmere game, in the normal scheme of things you'd assume this would get a much bigger gate than a game against Trannmere. I'm sure this has been discussed in the club already but any thought given to switching Marks game to the City match?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Mark Maddox