PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Sammy McIlroy - Thoughts?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Author Topic: Sammy McIlroy - Thoughts?  (Read 21442 times)

AltyIan

« on: May 17, 2011, 12:54:25 AM »

After his departure with morecambe, he must be taking a step down and he has always managed local clubs including :
northwich, macc, stockport.
Not a clue whether he has applied for the job or would even consider it, but I couldn't see it being a massive shock, all depending on whether he would take such a big step down the leagues.
Personally I would welcome such a 'big' name and he has a great knowledge of nonleague/lower football league.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:55:57 AM by AltyIan »

SammyH8

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Re: Sammy McIlroy - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 01:20:31 AM »

Big name, will get people talking about Alty at least, would definately take him just for the fact he's a name in football with undoubted links. He is a cock and doubt he will even contemplate the job.

taxi Phil

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 07:13:31 AM »

I really do NOT like the man, but I have to admit he would probably do a good job for us IF he's applied - and that's a very big IF !

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 07:39:35 AM »

It all depends what his expectations are,the problem is,the altrincham job is still an attractive role,and im sure certain well known managers may have thrown their name forward,but when it comes down to it,will they feel they have budget to do what is essentially a rebuilding job

seasonticket

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 08:26:32 AM »

If it was up to me I would not let the man anywhere near Our club.
 He blotted his copy book when we played Macc at their place, years ago.  Near the end of a game, we were chasing, we wanted to take a quick throw, a seven or eight year old ball boy ran to get the ball and "Stabby"  screamed at the lad to leave it. Poor kid looked shell shocked.
For any club manager to do that to an impressionable lad I thought was unforgivable. So keep him out I say.
That is not saying anything about the Jim Harvey situation.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 08:37:06 AM by seasonticket »

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 08:36:19 AM »

Would prefer him to preece but I would go for someone young personally

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 10:11:10 AM »

If it was up to me I would not let the man anywhere near Our club.
 He blotted his copy book when we played Macc at their place, years ago.  Near the end of a game, we were chasing, we wanted to take a quick throw, a seven or eight year old ball boy ran to get the ball and "Stabby"  screamed at the lad to leave it. Poor kid looked shell shocked.
For any club manager to do that to an impressionable lad I thought was unforgivable. So keep him out I say.
That is not saying anything about the Jim Harvey situation.

agreed!!!

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 10:11:40 AM »

Morecambe have just released about 20 players,and whilst they might not be good enough for league football,it would give mcIlroy some available players he knows to go at....

radcliffe alty

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 10:52:57 AM »

I think I said when Ken left that I didn't fancy a 'name' for the job, and I feel the same now.

I want a young, hungry, up and coming manager who is moving onto the next stage of his career who will lead the next 5 year plan (or whatever it is) for the rebuilding of the club. In the long term, I think the gain will be much greater doing that than going with an old school name who may just be in for a short stint until something better in League 2 comes up again.

markecky

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 11:08:51 AM »

I think I said when Ken left that I didn't fancy a 'name' for the job, and I feel the same now.

I want a young, hungry, up and coming manager who is moving onto the next stage of his career who will lead the next 5 year plan (or whatever it is) for the rebuilding of the club. In the long term, I think the gain will be much greater doing that than going with an old school name who may just be in for a short stint until something better in League 2 comes up again.

This is how I feel as well.

I wouldn't want someone coming to us because "its a job" and would also question whether he has the contacts to get part time players as well.

I also think the difference between his personal salary and the one we could offer will be huge.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 11:48:27 AM »

Sammy mc is far more likely to end up at stockport

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 12:32:09 PM »

I've not said anything so far on this debate but, as far as I'm concerned, it's unthinkable that he should become manager at Alty (even if he WAS prepared to take the drop in income and divisions). I'm comforted by the belief that our board has more class than to appoint someone of his ilk.

However I'm hanging on to my Season Ticket renewal form just in case the worst should happen.

PS: As far as Preece is concerned, (apart from coming from you-know-where) whilst most candidates would be anxious to show they would be able to produce a winning side in the BSN, he's already shown his limititations in this respect.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 12:34:28 PM by Saughall Robin »
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 12:45:47 PM »

I can't see McIlroy coming.  No hunger, Macc baggage among some fans, and his salary would be too high.  He's more likely to roll up at a Div 2 or ex league club.

I'd go for a relatively young manager, no connections with the club but with decent experience, and everything to prove.

Cornish Alty

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 05:00:39 PM »

Tw*t

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 05:46:47 PM »

I knew Sam some years ago when I worked with his then wife and found him to be a very professional manager and, off the pitch a very pleasant and knowledgeable guy who knew lots about the game at the level he was operating at.

I can understand people not liking him for a variety of reasons (managing Vics and Macc being two fairly good ones)

I'm afraid that, although I totally respect the fact that  people's money is their own to do with as they wish, the thought that someone might not renew their season ticket because someone they don't like is the manager does disappoint me  a little

A question.

Were we one up with only minutes to go and our manager shouted at a ball boy to leave a ball alone thus delaying a throw in we had to defend, how many of us would honestly condemn him for that action.

All I want from our next boss is that they are successful so I have no axe to grind either way with regard to Mr McIlroy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team