News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 This season (and next) summed into one post

Author Topic: This season (and next) summed into one post  (Read 1801 times)

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:16:33 PM »

Where do we begin...

Where did this seasons problems grow? Seeing the first pre season? After a promising game at Luton, letting a 2-0 lead slip at home to Darlington? Failing to build on a few good results by not turning up at Histon? The abject cup defeats to Gateshead and Blyth? The failure to beat Southport and Cambridge after a supurb win at Darlington? The failure to turn up when it mattered at FGR, Newport and Eastbourne?

As Cult said on another thread, yesterday summed up our season in 1 game....the first half was 2010, the 2nd half mid Jan to March 2011, with the last 5 minutes being April with too many individual mistakes!1

And so we find ourselves back at square 1 in BSN. But where do we go? Based on the assumption that Ken and Bimmo will not be here next season, a lot of players will have to wait and see. Personally, finances permitting, I would like to keep Stu, Brown and Reeves, and Joseph. Densmore I would also love to keep, and being at uni he might stay. Denham would be a focal point of my team season, but must prove his fitness. Whoever we keep, we must make them the spine of this team, as with BSP experience it will help us. Bring in a few of the youngsters, coupled with some proven BSN players, and we should have a competitive side there.

I am under no illusions of the task  ahead of us. I would be happy challenging for the play offs. But the club must make the right noises to people, saying we are going to be competitive and aiming to get back up at the first attempt. You will have your Telfords, Nuneatons etc, but they cannot buy the history that Altrincham already has, and playing for this club should be the greatest honour any semi pro footballers should have. And we cannot moan saying the budget will only be 3-4k compared to what we have had in other years. Remember, we won the play-offs with a budget of £3,500...money means nothing on the pitch if your players want it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 11:22:21 PM by Nasha »
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

DJ

Re: This season (and next) summed into one post
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 12:14:35 AM »

Basically you have gone down because you are a part time club, living within your means working on a shoestring budget in a full time league. You are never going to stay up in the Conference Premier being ran like that, you may struggle along for a few seasons but eventually it will tell. I would expect you to be up there in the BSN next season as you are probably one of the best part time teams but it will be tough with teams such as Telford, Nuneaton, Boston, Eastwood and Droylsden in.

Bath Alty

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 12:53:41 AM »

Basically you have gone down because you are a part time club, living within your means working on a shoestring budget in a full time league. You are never going to stay up in the Conference Premier being ran like that, you may struggle along for a few seasons but eventually it will tell. I would expect you to be up there in the BSN next season as you are probably one of the best part time teams but it will be tough with teams such as Telford, Nuneaton, Boston, Eastwood and Droylsden in.

Recent history may suggest never is a bit strong, you should have said "you'll only manage 5 or 6 season's being run like that"

andrewflynn

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 08:19:15 AM »

money means nothing on the pitch if your players want it.

This.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team