Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Why were all those police at that Varsity match at Moss Lane tonight then?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Why were all those police at that Varsity match at Moss Lane tonight then?  (Read 9447 times)

York Alty

as we're getting political...who fancies starting a working life with £30k debt?  hands up please? not many takers which is going tobe a HUGE problem in 15 years time when we start to lose graduates who have also experienced the real world.  That is when the nation will feel the pain. not now, not in five years time.

Butty

as we're getting political...who fancies starting a working life with £30k debt?  hands up please? not many takers which is going tobe a HUGE problem in 15 years time when we start to lose graduates who have also experienced the real world.  That is when the nation will feel the pain. not now, not in five years time.

And that's exactly the reason why I (and several others I would imagine) are moving to Ireland, where tuition fees are 0 for EU residents- however that may change in the very near future

bumble

And that's exactly the reason why I (and several others I would imagine) are moving to Ireland, where tuition fees are 0 for EU residents- however that may change in the very near future

Is this for everyone? TO DUBLIN!

finnquark

Maybe they wouldn't charge so much f they weren't clogged up with sociology, psychology, theology etc students.

Not everyone has to go to uni. I'm looking forward to not going.

I'll let my mates know they shouldn't be here then.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:59:49 PM by finnquark »

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Maybe they wouldn't charge so much f they weren't clogged up with sociology, psychology, theology etc students.

Education should be free and available to all, the current system is divisive and it stinks. Also I can't agree about psychology, I reckon we pretty much need good child, criminal, mental health psychologists.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

fuertes

Nothing necessarily wrong with those courses. The old "Theology? What you going be? A theologian?" argument is nonsense. University can give you loads of transferrable analytical, creative, presentation and social skills. The problem, IMHO, is that too many people go to university. It's supposed to be a place for the academic elite to hone their skills in whatever discipline they choose. Instead, almost any eejit can get in. They'll give you an offer even if you only manage Ds and Es to some of the joke institutions.

bighairedmike

Nothing necessarily wrong with those courses. The old "Theology? What you going be? A theologian?" argument is nonsense. University can give you loads of transferrable analytical, creative, presentation and social skills. The problem, IMHO, is that too many people go to university. It's supposed to be a place for the academic elite to hone their skills in whatever discipline they choose. Instead, almost any eejit can get in. They'll give you an offer even if you only manage Ds and Es to some of the joke institutions.

Sorry, that's sort of what I'm trying to say. People go and chose any course available as opposed to something they have a passion for and will do something with.

SW is right about the psychologists but really; how many Graphic Designers does the world need?

You're just picking a course that you don't think is a good one. Graphic design isn't a bad course in my eyes. It can really help in getting you a job (which is what University should actually be about).

There are far too many students in Universities who are there to doss about and have a good time because they don't know what to do with their life. And I say this from experience, I was one of them. However, I'd like to think I did my bit by still passing my exams and then, realising I was no good at being a student, promptly dropping out and entering the world of work and paying my taxes so some unwashed uppity b*stard from the south could tell everybody what he did in his "Gap yah" and proceeding to sponge off mummy and daddy and claiming they have no money whilst not getting a job to help themselves. (Tax dodging muppets. Your next pint's on me!)

The fact is, as soon as you say that everybody should be able to have the same level of education no matter what their ability then there is going to be a problem. If I was born 20 years earlier and wanted to go to university with the grades I achieved I'd have been laughed out of school and to be perfectly honest it would have saved me a lot of time, effort and money if the universities had quite simply told me where to go when I applied for a place. In my eyes (and I know a lot of people will disagree) universities should be for the academic elite. People that excel in their area of expertise (no matter what that may be) should be encouraged into university if they want to go and a lot of people should be told not to waste their time.

The fact that previous governments have had "graduation targets" and the like where X% of the current school population should be at university by 2 thousand and whenever is where the real downfall was. And a lot of schools/colleges don't help. One guy in my year, he wasnt the brightest kid ever, knew he didnt want to go to uni and had a job lined up after he finished his A levels. The school forced him to submit applications for universities that he knew he didnt want to go anywhere near. I mean, whats the point?

I feel like I'm just rambling now and I'll just go round in circles so i'll leave it there.  ;D

taxi Phil

When I were a lad, Universities were PROPER Universities, not bloody jumped up Polytechnics. Manchester Metropolitan University ? Just a collection of Further Education Colleges. It's all part of the "nobody must be seen to be a failure" culture, and it's sh*te.

At the next level down, Norris Road Secondary Modern School became a "science college", and now it's a "high school", while Green Lane is a "college of arts". We'll reach the point before too long where EVERY school is called a University. How bloody pointless.

rafo

We had 2 streakers quite a few ejections and arrests plus a fight in the main stand busy night. The club didn't call the police someone from outside did. If the students are our future no wonder this country's on its arse.

And to think that I gave up nearly 2 hours of my time to tell them how to set up the PA and solve there problems (many times) PLUS it sounds like they have broke at least half of my equipment during the process.

WHY DO I BOTHER MAKING THE 120 MILE ROUND TRIP EVERY OTHER WEEK FOR FREE ????

FFS!!!!

Rafo

Narcissist

We had 2 streakers quite a few ejections and arrests plus a fight in the main stand busy night. The club didn't call the police someone from outside did. If the students are our future no wonder this country's on its arse.

And to think that I gave up nearly 2 hours of my time to tell them how to set up the PA and solve there problems (many times) PLUS it sounds like they have broke at least half of my equipment during the process.

WHY DO I BOTHER MAKING THE 120 MILE ROUND TRIP EVERY OTHER WEEK FOR FREE ????

FFS!!!!

Rafo

Because your a legend mate.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Okay, I will shut up, I might be digging myself a deep hole here. I do agree that every course has its merits so just ignore my nonsense  :D

What you said Aber makes a lot of sense.

One thing I do think though is that people are under too much pressure to go. I have acknowledged that I am not academic and would be better off not wasting my time and money but am still under lots of pressure to go. I think that's why a lot of people go who are not really cut out for it.

But really...who wants to go to uni? Less time to watch Alty!

this is a good article on the myth of university almost directly aimed at graphic design etc

http://www.andyrutledge.com/the-ux-design-education-scam.php

taxi Phil

I didn't realise Kingy had been ill - oh, it's Gaddafi  :D

York Alty

Gaddafi  - looks sane enough to be next chairman/owner/manager at the vics.

willj8

the fact that Altrincham made quite a bit of money from hosting the event, with venue hire and the amount of alcohol that was sold should please 'fans' of the club, surely??
Nothing too serious went on, and all lads involved were dealt with accordingly.

Then players from both mens teams cleaned the whole of the main stand and made sure everything was in order before leaving.

You always get idiots at football matches, no need to have a go at students when those very students provided your club with some much needed money!

bighairedmike

the fact that Altrincham made quite a bit of money from hosting the event, with venue hire and the amount of alcohol that was sold should please 'fans' of the club, surely??
Nothing too serious went on, and all lads involved were dealt with accordingly.

Then players from both mens teams cleaned the whole of the main stand and made sure everything was in order before leaving.

You always get idiots at football matches, no need to have a go at students when those very students provided your club with some much needed money!

A) Don't understand your use of quotation marks around the word fans. Surely the fans of the club are the people that post on here regularly and therefore the people you are addressing in this thread?

B) The level of football hooliganism is not as high as it has been in the past, and is significantly lower at Moss Lane than most other clubs. I'm sure our Chief Safety Officer can back this up with stats and the like. We have every right to have a go at a group of people that are causing trouble at OUR ground. If fights were a common occurrence week in, week out at Alty then I could understand you being a bit concerned about the hypocritical nature of the statements. As this is not the case I don't see your point.

c) If equipment has been broken by the people using it then we have every right to moan about it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Why were all those police at that Varsity match at Moss Lane tonight then?