PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 New defender on loan
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New defender on loan  (Read 5936 times)

bumble

New defender on loan
« on: March 03, 2011, 05:55:37 PM »

Accrington Stanley confirm that "Stanley defender Jonathan Bateson has joined Altrincham FC on a month's loan. The 21 year old moves to Moss Lane having made 12 league appearances for the Reds, but has failed to break back into the side after receiving a red card in the local derby away to Bury FC in October 2010".
The Football Conference adds that "Altrincham have signed right-back Jonathan Bateson on a month's loan from Accrington Stanley. Bateson was a 2010 summer arrival at the Crown Ground. He began his career at Blackburn Rovers but never made a first-team appearance. His professional debut came during a loan spell at Bradford City against Nottingham Forest in a Carling Cup tie in August 2009. Unfortunately, he was sent-off in that game but made his League debut twenty-four days later. He was released by Bradford at the end of the 2009/10 season and joined Stanley on trial. Bateson was impressive throughout his trial period at the Crown Ground and has made fourteen appearances to date".

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: New defender on loan
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 07:03:09 PM »

International clearance etc...
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

timbo13

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 08:27:10 PM »

1st game for Bradford: red card
Last game for Accrington: red card

I'm all for increasing the squad but this, on top of Connors (who has a history of cards himself) is tempting fate a little.

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 08:44:13 PM »

I'm all for increasing the squad but this, on top of Connors (who has a history of cards himself) is tempting fate a little.

.........and then of course, there are downsides to the internet, whereupon knee jerk opinions can be aired without any real knowledge of the subject.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 09:01:48 PM »

At least he sounds pretty committed ;D ;D ;D

timbo13

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 09:05:16 PM »

.........and then of course, there are downsides to the internet, whereupon knee jerk opinions can be aired without any real knowledge of the subject.

Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts. ;)

markecky

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 11:32:53 PM »

There was 18 months between the two cards...are you suggesting we shouldnt have signed him on this basis?

The spirit of '78 lives on...

fuertes

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 11:34:18 PM »

There was 18 months between the two cards...are you suggesting we shouldnt have signed him on this basis?

The spirit of '78 lives on...

;D

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 11:46:42 PM »

Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts. ;)

I feel sure that JTH DID intend to advise the forum of his/her gender reassignment at some point

timbo13

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 11:12:11 AM »

Connors: 3 games, 1 red card.

Smith: out again for another 10 days, an additional penalty after the initial ban

Piergianni: 8 games, 1 red and 2 yellows.

I appreciate that some of these were unjustified, but I think it's perfectly legitimate to consider, given the threadbare nature of the squad, whether our emergency loan signing brought in to strengthen the numbers is likely to pick up a ban or two himself.

The facts I quoted (obtained from the Accrington, Bradford and Alty sites) are about all that anyone has managed to put forward about Bateson to date, and they saw fit to mention these two dismissals. I appreciate that stats don't tell the full story, but am I really the only one who raised an eyebrow at the dismissals when they read the details on the site?

Some people clearly disagree with my raising this issue (as evidenced by the Peake count), but I didn't see anyone having qualms about discussing Connors' disciplinary record when he joined, not so very long ago.

markecky

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 11:38:49 AM »

You're entitled to your opnion but to me its classic Alty fan stuff.    We gone from giving players 10 minutes before we write them off to now not even seeing a photograph off them.

The lad has had two red cards in hs football league career.  We dont know any of the circumstances of them but he is not a murderer.

When you are down at the bottom with no money you sometimes take what you are given. 

I'll let him play a bit before deciding if he is a good or bad loan signing.

If he gets sent off 10 mins into Saturday for decking some then he was a terrible idea.

To me he looks big and strong and has some football league experience.  I'll take that.

timbo13

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 11:53:16 AM »

You're entitled to your opnion but to me its classic Alty fan stuff.    We gone from giving players 10 minutes before we write them off to now not even seeing a photograph off them.

The lad has had two red cards in hs football league career.  We dont know any of the circumstances of them but he is not a murderer.

When you are down at the bottom with no money you sometimes take what you are given.  

I'll let him play a bit before deciding if he is a good or bad loan signing.

If he gets sent off 10 mins into Saturday for decking some then he was a terrible idea.

To me he looks big and strong and has some football league experience.  I'll take that.

Strange to suggest, but I do actually agree with you. I'm more than happy to give him a chance to prove himself.

I'd leave it at that, but bearing in mind your comment as to not knowing what the cards were for, I did what homework I could before my initial post, so I do know what the red cards were for.

Here's a quote from the Bradford site:

"Bateson was handed his Bantams debut at Nottingham Forest's City Ground in Bradford's Carling Cup 1st round tie, unfortunately he marked it with a late tackle for a lunge on Forest's Nathan Tyson as City crashed to a 3-0 defeat".

And from the Bury/Accrington match report:

"Just 9 minutes later the Reds went down to nine men with Johnny Bateson being sent off for an adjudged dangerous tackle on Kyle Bennett."

So, my concern was based upon:

1. A red card on your professional debut for a lunge
2. A red card (with his team already a man down) for another dangerous tackle.

You still might think it a knee-jerk opinion or an over-reaction. Fair enough. I'll take that criticism on the chin. But I did at least take the trouble to look into this a bit first.

markecky

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 11:59:55 AM »

I almost put in brackets "please don't research them on my behalf"

My point was that two red cards in that space of time is not a way to assess a player.

If he stays with us for 15 months and plays like Bobby Moore and gets a two red cards I won't be too worried.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:05:08 PM by markecky »

Steve-o

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 12:16:10 PM »

A definate concern in my eyes

timbo13

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 12:18:32 PM »

Honest, I'd researched them before my initial post.

But I wholeheartedly take your point.

Shall we draw a line under this one then?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 New defender on loan