PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Steve Foster
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Steve Foster  (Read 7899 times)

joe

Re: Steve Foster
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 09:54:04 AM »

For the amount of minutes played is Steve Foster the most talked about player ever?

Agree. 8 minutes as sub, how can you judge a player in 8 minutes,FFS.

He may have scored a lot of goals for Salford, but so had James McCarthy for Warrington and how many goals did we get from him. ??? ??? ???

He didn't get enough time imo - was jimmy moved on while kenny or Graham in charge?
For the amount of minutes played is Steve Foster the most talked about player ever?

Agree. 8 minutes as sub, how can you judge a player in 8 minutes,FFS.

He may have scored a lot of goals for Salford, but so had James McCarthy for Warrington and how many goals did we get from him. ??? ??? ???

He didn't get enough time imo - was jimmy moved on while kenny or Graham in charge?

Ken

andrewflynn

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 10:15:17 AM »

maybe the lad just wants to see out the season with salford, who cares? we asked, he said no, move on people

Exactly, can't believe there is a three page thread about a guy we saw for ten minutes

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 10:17:40 AM »

Surely the fact that Ken has watched him and was keen to sign him tells us something? I reckon he knows a good striker when he sees one and he wouldn't have gone after a player if he didn't think he was capable of improving the squad.

No player is ever guaranteed to do well, irrespective of whether he comes from a Unibond club or a League 1 club. However, to completely dismiss the interest that was shown in him is a wee bit short sighted in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:21:46 AM by ALTY 1981 »
Come on Alty!

markecky

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 10:25:05 AM »

What I've learned from this thread is that apparently anyone who is any good in a lower league will already be talking to other clubs and we should never sign a lower league striker as Jimmy McCarthy wasn't any good.

I am sure we would have had the same response on here if we'd have signed Shaun Whalley from Hyde. Hyde are terrible but his 3 goals in 2 games (barring his sending off on Tuesday) may just turn their season.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:33:25 AM by markecky »

Jezza

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 10:35:30 AM »

Maybe he read the AFC Wimbledon's manager's comments about his full time squad struggling to keep up with the fixture load and being on the road permanently....

I think we as Alty fans always recognise that an Alty player has the right to progress upwards (Ian craney, Chris Senior) so it is difficult to understand why a lower league player wont make the step up to Alty when he clearly has the potential,,,,problem is we are a part time team playing a full time schedule and as Kenny said a few weeks ago, players are saying why should I commit to the schedule for a hundred pounds more when I can play locally and have a social life and comfortably deal with my other job's hours?

What got me was hearing of Salford fans 'concern' about him turning out for Alty...seems they can't see both sides.

It's a short career and maybe Foz will regret not having memories of regularly playing in front of big crowds in football league stadiums....plenty of time for a social life when you are in your thirties....

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 10:47:47 AM »

One thing is for sure.... We will never know if he would have been good enough cos he aint fkn moving anywhere

End of Topic (in my eyes).

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 04:45:17 PM »

James McCarthy has not scored a lot of goals for Warrington. At 25 years old his goalscoring record wasn't great (and you would imagine unlikely to get better, you don't suddenly become a goalscorer). In fact Dario Gradi said as much.

Foster has scored a lot more goals for Salford, Witton, Hyde etc.

However, I agree with a lot of the general points on the thread, namely he's not coming so move on. I wish him well in fulfilling his ambitions in getting Salford into the EvoStik division one north play offs!!

Magic.

Nonleaguer

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2011, 06:49:37 PM »

Foster will have already experienced large crowds having previously played for AFC Telford, rest assured he has played already at higher level than Salford so perhaps his talent has somewhat eclipsed and he may have already missed the big step up opportunity earlier in his career.
He may be quite comfortable at the level he is at and hence does not want further upheaval.

Jacko

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »

We also need to stop picking holes into players that don't feel its the right time for them to join alty, its their lifes circumstances that decide this, no player will ever 'bottle' coming to alty

jamestimperleyrobin

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »

Turned down for unibond north. Brilliant.

Narcissist

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2011, 11:20:16 PM »

To be fair we judge most players as sh1t just from their wiki page. We've got every right to believe he is world class after 8 minutes an a YouTube clip! That's a lifetime in this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Steve Foster