PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 No Intro Thread
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No Intro Thread  (Read 6316 times)

schmuckdonald

No Intro Thread
« on: January 11, 2011, 02:46:01 PM »

There's not introduction thread so I'm going do this here instead. My name's Rob and I'm basically new to all things Alty. I've lived in Manchester for four years and worked in Alty for one (also moving to Alty in the Summer) and I basically wanted to get some proper fans opinion on something. I write for a few (very low key) football sites and I was thinking about starting a blog/site about the club and my starting to follow them. Basically from the perspective of someone raised in the Premier League years (I'm 21) and never really felt a part of a community, and certainly not a part of a football club. I'll admit up front I'm a Liverpool fan as well, not sure how that will go down, but I've always followed the results of the club but never really been able to afford to attend any Alty games but I'm going to get a season ticket in the Summer for next season and get to as many games as possible over the rest of the season.

Was just wondering what people think of this? Whether I sound like an idiot, whether it's something that might work blah blah.

Thanks in advance.

ArmchairAlty

Re: No Intro Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:02:17 PM »

Alty is a very friendly family club that is always open to new supporters. Please see the thread below for more info on other fans (including myself) who have made the jump from supporting a Prem side to Non League...

http://www.altyfans.co.uk/index.php?topic=10282.0

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 03:29:20 PM »

Go for it on the Alty front

Everyone has a cross to bear, and someone has to support Liverpool I guess !

Get on down to Moss Lane as often as possible, you'll have a great time.

.........and sometimes Alty actually win !!

bumble

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 03:38:25 PM »

Alty is a very friendly family club that is always open to new supporters. Please see the thread below for more info on other fans (including myself) who have made the jump from supporting a Prem side to Non League...

http://www.altyfans.co.uk/index.php?topic=10282.0

Great thread

There's plenty of ex-pl fans around - we've just come to our sense

Probably only my 2nd season watching us regularly - having gone to a dozen each year in the previous seasons

Ive obviously not got the "big games" of Liverpool or tottenham or even play off in 2005 to go back on, but I feel like I've supported them for ages

markecky

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 04:01:25 PM »

Welcome aboard mate.

The thing with Alty is you can choose to do many things on different levels.

You can pack in with the lads and lasses behind the goal and sing until your hoarse, you can sit quielty in the stand, you can have a good moan down the popular side.

Its up to you but make sure you come down and get the bug.

Do a blog site mate..it'll make interesting reading and any publicity for Alty is a good thing.

schmuckdonald

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 04:45:34 PM »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Hoping to get down to my first match on the 22nd, looking forward to it! The blog will probably start up proper in the next couple of weeks too. Will be sure to put a link up when it does.

bumble

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 06:05:12 PM »

Just a thought

If you go in one of the sections ecky mentioned - and dont enjoy it - i suggest trying the other sections ie. if you try the mainstand and dont enjoy it, try the gof road end, or popular side for a game...one of those you may hate but find you love another. I was the same, changed from the main to the golf road end and the difference for me was unbelieveable :)

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 06:06:10 PM »

There's not introduction thread so I'm going do this here instead. My name's Rob and I'm basically new to all things Alty. I've lived in Manchester for four years and worked in Alty for one (also moving to Alty in the Summer) and I basically wanted to get some proper fans opinion on something. I write for a few (very low key) football sites and I was thinking about starting a blog/site about the club and my starting to follow them. Basically from the perspective of someone raised in the Premier League years (I'm 21) and never really felt a part of a community, and certainly not a part of a football club. I'll admit up front I'm a Liverpool fan as well, not sure how that will go down, but I've always followed the results of the club but never really been able to afford to attend any Alty games but I'm going to get a season ticket in the Summer for next season and get to as many games as possible over the rest of the season.

Was just wondering what people think of this? Whether I sound like an idiot, whether it's something that might work blah blah.

Thanks in advance.

Don't do it, I was offered some free tickets from a pe teacher 27 years ago and I'm still here, just think of the glory and fun I could have had instead its just worry and heartache, and a good laugh
Bernard Taylors barmy army

York Alty

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 06:26:23 PM »

Don't do it, I was offered some free tickets from a pe teacher 27 years ago and I'm still here, just think of the glory and fun I could have had instead its just worry and heartache, and a good laugh
[/quote]

wise words - it's cost me an absolute fortune over the years, let alone the tears, heartache, desperation, frustration and bewilderment.  But then like a diamond glistening in a dog egg there are the fantasic memories, the players playing for the love of the club and the game, beating Brum, winning stuff, beating Vics. Going to places like Bamber Bridge and taking over almost the entire ground, beating Blackpool two years running, the Wembley visits.     Then, and then oh yes - its all worthwhile.

COME ON ALTY!

fuertes

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 06:26:56 PM »

You've made a good choice, Rob.

I did come along to Alty as a kid (early memories being games against glamorous sides such as Bath and Welling), but spent most of my teenage years going to Old Trafford. However, after going to my first game in a while against Millwall in the FA Cup, I've been a regular again since (until recent months where I've been exiled in 'the South'). The experience watching football at this level is infinitely more rewarding than the expensive, soulless garbage served up by competing corporations with no grounding in the local community you get at Premier League grounds.

A Liverpool fan though? Tut tut  ;D

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 07:06:53 PM »

One of the good things about the ground is you can move around and hence enjoy the game from several perspectives
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 07:08:06 PM »

Welcome.......not everyone on the Pop side moans....I don't (except for my rants about Chrissy Denhams injury 'proneness' and the need for a world class striker on a part-time budget !)
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

schmuckdonald

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 09:49:32 PM »

Haha! Looking forward to getting into it. It'll strange to be cheering alongside of Old Trafford (be it former or not) locals.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 09:58:43 PM »

Make sure you go in the bar after the game !

taxi Phil

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 10:33:08 PM »

Welcome.......not everyone on the Pop side moans....I don't (except for my rants about Chrissy Denhams injury 'proneness' and the need for a world class striker on a part-time budget !)
BUT......beware of the Birch brothers. They can moan enough between the two of them to make up for the shortfall between our actual gate and one of about 2000 !
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 No Intro Thread