News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 True Lad Sports

Author Topic: True Lad Sports  (Read 3613 times)

bumble

True Lad Sports
« on: January 10, 2011, 07:17:19 PM »

Truelad.com have just set up a new site called trueladsports.com

All by up and coming / aspire journalists - one article i spotted straight away was this

Thought some of you may like it

http://www.trueladsport.com/2010/11/16/the-trials-and-tribulations-of-being-a-lower-league-club-supporter/

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: True Lad Sports
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 07:23:49 PM »

Valid article but "pre-madonna" !! Jesus.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

finnquark

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 07:36:54 PM »

truelad.com - absolutely dreadful site.

bumble

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 07:58:01 PM »

truelad.com - absolutely dreadful site.

I disagree!

bumble

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 08:29:56 PM »

Nope Nicky - just a well written article

andrewflynn

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 08:53:53 PM »

I think this article is poorly written, and shows no balanced argument among other features needed to make an article decent. However, what he is trying to say here is spot on, no matter how bad he has tried to communicate it. Non League football is where it is at, and I think in the next couple of years more people will begin to realise that there are teams out there where your support for them actually matters; as opposed to at Chelsea or Manchester United when the most you can do is buy a replica shirt and other merchandise.

Narcissist

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 09:58:33 PM »

Watford? Theyve been in the premiership in the last 5-10 years and get more at home than some prem teams today. It's not the reaction I get from people, but I understand his sentiment.

Another classic 'pre-madonna' quote too! Do these people think that human nature was somehow different before that African orphan grabbing pop hag came along?

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 12:10:06 AM »

Can we have some post-madonna quotes on this thread please  ;)

bighairedmike

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 12:12:19 AM »

Awful article full of shoddy grammar and poorly formed arguments. For example...

I guess what I’m saying, is that it’s okay to go against the majority, and support a local team or follow an allegiance that’s run in the family. We’re the real fans, the ones who keep football alive, not the Liverpool fans living in Plymouth, who spend £45 on a shirt, occasionally catch a game on Sky, and brag about how successful their team is.

Who is to say that that is not a family allegiance, something that he has just championed?

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy as much as the next man taking the piss out of the City "supporter" I know at uni who is from Nottingham that has never seen city play, never been to the stadium, but watches them on tele and is a "die-hard fan". And I'll be the first, when somebody wearing a United shirt asks in a Bristol accent "What team is that?" and sneers at the answer, to reply "What team is that?" and then sneer at him for living 300 miles away from the club he is a "die hard fan" of and has never been to a game in his life yet every decision that is made in the game is a matter of life or death to him.

I get pissed off with these people, I can't stand them at times, but why is it ok for a lower league fan to support their club because their family do/did, but not for someone who supports a team from the top 4 because their family did and they no longer live there?

I've made that really long winded and i'm knackered so it probably makes little sense. But yeah, double standards within a breath of each other. And still a shoddily written article anyway...

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:35 AM »

Can we have some post-madonna quotes on this thread please  ;)

I think it's a typing error

I think it should read pre-maradonna   ;)

As far young Master Flynn's comments that Non League football is where it is at, and I think in the next couple of years more people will begin to realise that there are teams out there where your support for them actually matters; as opposed to at Chelsea or Manchester United when the most you can do is buy a replica shirt and other merchandise. I'd agree with his sentiments but point out that the shift started some years ago.

As an ex season ticket holder at the Theatre of Dreams I gave up 5 years ago. The prospect of paying over the odds to watch overpaid mercenaries (or pre maradonnas) just doesn't have any appeal. The Old Trafford hierachy are begining to feel the pinch big style. In the case of the recent home game with Stoke the ticket office resorted to making personal phone calls to try and sell tickets.

There's no waiting list for season tickets at OT these days so all there is no excuse for all these southern based 'die hards' to buy a ticket and pop along to a match at any premier league ground.

Give me the match day experience at Alty anyday !

P.S. And another thing, the pies at Old Trafford are crap and over priced ever since they got rid of Hollands !!

RedWhiteRedWhite

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 02:34:06 PM »

In a nut-shell, that article is utter cr@p.

It's an exceptionally naive attitude, from a particularly "holier than thou" viewpoint in the "not a hope in hell" category of ever being a sports journalist. I'm even more amazed at the plaudits the article received.

My first and last visit to "Truelad Sport".
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:40:33 PM by RedWhiteRedWhite »

RocketDan

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 08:56:40 PM »

Football died when Herbert Champman switched from the 2-3-5 formation to the WM.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 True Lad Sports