PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 New players and players to be released
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New players and players to be released  (Read 7052 times)

DAB @ ALTY

Re: New players and players to be released
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 04:14:50 PM »

I have a feeling Crowell will go - not because of any lack of ability as much as the simple logistics of how far away he lives. I think this will get too much soon enough.
[/quote 

I think that Crowell should go because his heart isn't in it for me,he spends most of his time just walking
about in the middle of the park moaning at everybody around him.Yes he did look good first time around
in the few matches that he played but I guess that there were other reasons for that.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
New players and players to be released.
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 04:35:36 PM »

A little harsh on McCarthy I feel. He's not going to get goals for us and there's a touch of the Joe O'Neill's about him but from what I have seen he is not bad at holding the ball up. For what i presume to be the small wages he's on he's the least of our worries. Holsgrove has something about him, i'm just not sure what. I don't think he knows either. As cult said yday he seems to do the first thing great and the second thing awfully. Joseph is a liability and I mean that whereas he was awful to start off with he has started to improve but gives away a goal a game, even when he plays ok he's an accident waiting to happen. I'm sure if Welch (and Brown) are fit he won't play. No idea what happened with Danny Adams but surely he must still be a better left side of the 3 centre back? The more Hewson gets fit the less we should see of Crowell in my opinion based on current form. I'll leave it all there for now.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 04:48:28 PM »

From what I have seen and heard I believe Holsgrove & McCarthy are worth persevering with even though it may take a year for them to reach the level we require. A couple of decent loans could do the job in the shorter term if needed.

ant

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 06:55:44 PM »

From what I have seen and heard I believe Holsgrove & McCarthy are worth persevering with even though it may take a year for them to reach the level we require. A couple of decent loans could do the job in the shorter term if needed.

I think McCarthy in particular is worth sticking with.  He's on a big learning curve and given time I'm sure he could do a job for us.  He's got a reasonable turn of pace to boot.

taxi Phil

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 07:34:17 PM »

My main problem with Holsgrove is his poor first touch. I honestly don't see him ever being good enough.

stubmanred

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 07:39:06 PM »

Having seen McCarthy in half a dozen games now, I feel that he is more a winger than a striker. Great first touch, lots of skill and ability and delivers a decent ball. Denham and Reeves seem to be striking a good partnership and Twiss is still to come (once he's fit, he'll be an asset). The only trouble with this is that i'm not sure he's a wing back in out current 3-5-2 formation. I think KMs preferred formation choice is 4-4-2 so in the medium long term once we have a few replacements (stirker and centre half) Mccarthy could fit into this well...

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 07:56:18 PM »

It think we need a pacey tall experience centre back,a right back,a ball playing midfielder,and a target man

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 08:08:55 PM »

hewson should be good ennough for the midfield role , gareth seddon on loan from fleetwood ? cant think of  right back , densmore ok there but prob prefer him in midfield as for centre back the guy from bury may get his chance

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 08:14:34 PM »

It think we need a pacey tall experience centre back,a right back,a ball playing midfielder,and a target man
Welch counts as the first and last there then, kerney as ball playing midfielder, still think its a shame mcneill didnt come here
Bernard Taylors barmy army

fuertes

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 08:29:57 PM »

Welch counts as the first and last there then, kerney as ball playing midfielder, still think its a shame mcneill didnt come here

Yes I agree. He's getting on, he's injury-prone, but the fact is he's a very useful targetman in this division when fit. He's certainly been a big help to Southport in their very respectable start.

Whilst I like Welchy and think he should do well now that he's slimmed-down and got himself playing again (bar recent knock), I agree with all Hughesy's other comments. The very best situation we can hope for with Tom Kearney is that he opts to stay/we have the money to keep him, that he gets back playing in the New Year and that he's back up to his previous high standards by the run-in. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

I'd hope we might pick up a better full-back than Joseph somewhere, even if it meant a loan signing (not sure how highly-rated the lad from Bury is - he can slot in there can't he?). I doubt any targetmen of a higher standard than McCarthy will become available to be honest.

blackandwhitealty

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 10:19:53 PM »

Having seen McCarthy in half a dozen games now, I feel that he is more a winger than a striker. Great first touch, lots of skill and ability and delivers a decent ball. Denham and Reeves seem to be striking a good partnership and Twiss is still to come (once he's fit, he'll be an asset). The only trouble with this is that i'm not sure he's a wing back in out current 3-5-2 formation. I think KMs preferred formation choice is 4-4-2 so in the medium long term once we have a few replacements (stirker and centre half) Mccarthy could fit into this well...
new to this forum.... had to register to comment but you're the only one to see where McCarthy should be playing,he's  a provider, a play maker, a crosser of the ball, he certainly isn't an old fashioned striker which is what everyone expects him to be.Who tagged him as a striker? Crewe? Look at the way he holds the ball and lays it off or hits it  accuratley 30 yards. He's not the physical centre forward.Winger yes, striker no

taxi Phil

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 11:16:48 PM »

new to this forum.... had to register to comment but you're the only one to see where McCarthy should be playing,he's  a provider, a play maker, a crosser of the ball, he certainly isn't an old fashioned striker which is what everyone expects him to be.Who tagged him as a striker? Crewe? Look at the way he holds the ball and lays it off or hits it  accuratley 30 yards. He's not the physical centre forward.Winger yes, striker no

I agree - and that's a problem. Holsgrove is SUPPOSED to be that type of player, Denham and Clee are better wide men than either of the other two. We're top heavy in that department. We DESPERATELY need to get our hands on a proven goal scorer to take the weight off Damien Reeves who must feel like Robinson Crusoe without his Man Friday half the time. Easier said than done for ANY club, let alone one with OUR budgetary constraints.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 11:34:44 PM »

The jigsaw is 99% complete then Pete ;D
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 New players and players to be released