* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Coates

Author Topic: Coates  (Read 5898 times)

RocketDan

Coates
« on: September 29, 2010, 10:49:52 AM »

Without wanting to be negative, the lad is a great shot stopper but he is terrible at dealing with crosses and seems to lack control of his area. Playing with a back 3 we continually get overlapped down the flanks, giving them an easy cross. The disappointing thing last night was these crosses weren't drilled or whipped in towards the penalty area but floated in to the 6 yard line. Coates needs to be more decisive and come off his line to catch or punch it. If not we should get coburn back in.

fuertes

Re: Coates
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 11:19:41 AM »

Without wanting to be negative, the lad is a great shot stopper but he is terrible at dealing with crosses and seems to lack control of his area. Playing with a back 3 we continually get overlapped down the flanks, giving them an easy cross. The disappointing thing last night was these crosses weren't drilled or whipped in towards the penalty area but floated in to the 6 yard line. Coates needs to be more decisive and come off his line to catch or punch it. If not we should get coburn back in.

Much as I like Stu, crosses aren't his strong suit either. He often punches when others would catch, whilst he has a flap occasionally too.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 11:21:39 AM »

I like both keepers but I would like Coates to command his area more. He does seem a bit indecisive sometimes... (well I think he is)  ;)

Dougals Dad

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 01:00:07 PM »

I like Coates....

and I like Coburn...

but which is better?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

62vintage

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 05:14:44 PM »

Coates has only played a few games for us so will need time to settle in. I think he will be a great keeper for us for a long time.
Coburn coming for crosses? I must have been watching someone else because I thought that was his weakness.

Longman

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 07:05:02 PM »

From what ive seen so far from Coates he is an equal shot stopper to Stu, yet is more agile and has better distribution.

robins1978

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 07:36:17 PM »

Both great shot stoppers and capable of world class saves. Like the one Coates made to keep it at 1-2 against Grimsby when he tipped over. Stu an Alty ledgde, Coates just as good as Stu between the sticks. Great to have someone making Stu fight (not literally I hope JennsDad - LOL) for the jersey. Nice problem for Kenny Mac to have - 2 great keepers.

Jezza

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 07:52:12 PM »

Stuart Coburn is an absolute legend......right up there in my top 5 favourite Alty players of the last 38 years.....should have been in the football league, Leicester took the wrong man etc.

I'd have him back in like a shot and see if he keeps Coates out now he knows he's got real competition with a string of world class clean sheet performances that we know England's No1 is capable of.

I do think Coates has played well......and I agree his distribution is better than Stuart's....I just think Stuart commands his area better...it's all about opinions isn't it?

jimmyhank

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 09:52:53 PM »

Coates also has a hammer of a left peg which can set us on the offensive very quickly.

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 11:40:07 PM »

Its  about time Stu had to fight for his place , he is a good keeper but so is Coates , on present form Coates deserves to be 1st choice

AltyIan

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 06:13:27 PM »

Stu is one of the best shot stoppers in the league FACT. Rest of his game lacks a little.
Coates looks ok and has rightly been given the #1 spot at the current moment in time, although he too is not perfect.

As a keeper myself i prefer  Coburn but maybe he's gone beyond his peak?

'The goalkeeper is the jewel in the crown and getting at him should be almost impossible.  It's the biggest sin in football to make him do any work.'  ~George Graham, 1997

taxi Phil

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 07:56:11 PM »

I believe George Graham made that quote after watching joe play for Dane Road Central.......

joe

Coates
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 07:58:43 AM »

I won promotion with Sale Utd in 1997 and so my defenders must have been doing something right!

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Coates
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 08:14:43 AM »

Blimey, i didn't know Baresi and Maldini played Sunday mornings b4 playing for Milan in the afternoon!

joe

Coates
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 08:49:31 AM »

They wouldn't have got in our side Ballers :-)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Coates