PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The last days of Rome......
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Author Topic: The last days of Rome......  (Read 23936 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:40:33 PM »

I think its pretty obvious from tonights meeting that graham wont be manager for much longer.And what other changes that brings,who knows,but the club is in a very healthy position and was here before all of us,and will be here long after us all, whatever changes might come about.I left the meeting tonight feeling an era in the clubs history is coming to an end. And if change does come,we must keep behind the lads,and be open minded to whatever changes may or may not take place.

taxi Phil

Re: The last days of Rome......
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:45:36 PM »

"....the glory that was Rome is of another day....." (Tony Bennett for younger readers).

The glory that was Alty is also of another day - but it will come again if we believe in the club, and in whatever fate throws our way.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 12:13:08 AM »

Suspect that you may well be right there, Hughesy.

The key moment for me was his conditional response to the direct question as to whether he wished to remain as Alty manager.

The enjoyment gained from his work appears to have deserted him.
Whether this loss is temporary or permanent remains to be seen.

I just think that we need a resolution as to whether he is staying or leaving sooner rather than later and hope the current uncertainty isn't allowed to linger.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

markecky

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 12:20:31 AM »

The board now have some very difficult decisions to make in the next few days.

I'm off to bed after one of the weirdest nights for years.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 12:37:26 AM »

Graham has done really well in his time as manager.But if he should choose to go,we must remember, sh*t budget or not this is still one of the biggest jobs in nonleague football,and we would be flooded with applications from all over,from people wanting this job,not forgetting ken who is already here,but it would be a very long and distinquished list of applicants,no matter what the financial constraints are

Dougals Dad

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 12:56:29 AM »

"....the glory that was Rome is of another day....." (Tony Bennett for younger readers).

Is that the Tony Bennett who used to manage the Safeway in Hale?

Aussie Bob

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 01:23:46 AM »

Will be an end of an era but like Hughesy says life goes on and the club will still be here.....if anything i think it would be best to get it done now and replace Graham and give a new manager a good run at it .Either that or wait until end of the season and give GH a chance to coach a full final year. maybe he can say he will go at the end of the year and we can start looking now and have a seamless transtion to a new manager ?,we dont want it to drift on for a few months with morale getting worse amongst the team and management and getting left behind at the arse end of the table.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 08:16:18 AM »

I got the same impression about GH as Hughesy and the majority of other people in room did last night..

I was hoping to come away with the impression that the fight back starts tomorrow against Kiddy ..

Sadly I came back to Shrewsbury feeling flat and that GH was tired and frustrated that after such a good season last season he now feels the team is back to square one..

I feel that if we do not beat Kiddy tomorrow then it could be the end of GH at ML

I hope I am proved wrong and that we kick on from now on in...

Cmon Alty.

Narcissist

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 08:30:40 AM »

Very sad reading on the main site. I would have liked GH to be leaving at the end of a season rather than the beginning, both for the benefit of the club and also because the man deserves to be saluted for his tremendous efforts for this club. Its hard to do that when the immediate future involves cracking on in the league from a worrying position.

Still, GH believes in honesty and we can never argue with that. He has done, and continues to do one of the hardest jobs in non-league football with success. Whatever happens he is the figurehead of our resurrection in recent years and to me that means a lot. It will be a sad way to go, but at least he's done it honestly and even dino couldnt argue that the mans given everything in him to Altrincham FC. Replacing him will be difficult but not impossible.

For the club, I think we have the right man to continue his work in Ken. I dont see why we should change our ethos as a club, and having someone there who understands it is surely a good step forward.

To Graham, I salute you, whatever happens! Now lets go out there and murder Kiddy tomorrow!

COME ON YOU RED N WHITE B@ST@RDS!!!!!!

alty67

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 08:35:43 AM »

It would be sad to see GH go- looking at him from the main stand on Saturday he looked resigned to defeat once the second goal went in. Then he didn't have the will to get in to the game and was looking like he'd had enough- so may be a change is needed unless we can get a good run going and GH can get his enthusiasm back. It must be hard for GH to keep going all these years with our budget,

I'd like to see some one totally different next, maybe a young manager - but we'll have to wait and see,  

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 09:07:06 AM »

Well done to all who attended last night, and thank you for asking the questions we have all been waiting to hear answers to. 

No doubt about it, tomorrow is a massive day for Alty, and it sounds like it could potentially be GH's last stand.

Hughesy is right, whatever happens tomorrow and this season, the club will remain and rebuild, and we as fans have a massive part to play in supporting the playing and management staff moving forward, whoever they may be.

Its been a really weird week. I hope tomorrow turns up some positives and we can all have something to smile about.

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 09:12:40 AM »

I don't claim to be any sort of pshyco analyst, but having listened to GH last night, my own view is that GH is going through a bit of a mid life crisis !

I would suggest that the general sombre mood has been brought on not only by the recent poor run of results, but by his own recent family bereavement.

I know from my own personal experience that such an event does make you stand back and reassess the 'meaning of life' and what you are on this earth to do, and to question what you really want from the rest of your own life.

I just hope that both Graham and/or the board do not rush into any hasty decisions that they may live to regret.

I heard his comments about wanting to win football matches, and not be fighting relegation etc, and I'm sure that is what everyone at Alty wants to see.

However, one has to be realistic and accept, or at least acknowledge, the financial constraints that ANY manger of Alty would be placed under in trying to win matches and avoid relegation. A change of manager won't change the financial plight of the club.

GH has done a tremendous job in the past, and can continue to do a great job in the future. He knows the club through and through and if he was to leave then I think it would be a big step backwards for the club.

At the moment he needs a pat on the back or a sympathetic arm around him to reassure him that he has an important and valued job to do.

At the moment he is looking at all the negatives, and disregarding the positives. There may not appear to be many positives at the moment.

Does he really want to spend the rest of his Saturday afternoons trudging round Tesco or Sainsburys ?

If needs be, take a couple of weeks off recharge the batteries, let KM take the strain, and come back recharged looking at the positives.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 09:46:34 AM by (S)ALTY »

bigcol

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 09:23:23 AM »

It's a shame we aren't a slightly bigger club, because GH would be perfect as a Director of Football sort of role with his knowledge of his club and non-league, and would help to support the next man, be it Ken or someone else.

My only slight unease is that he has brought the players in this season and now realises some aren't good enough - is this because he had to make do with a certain level of player, or was it an error of judgment?

Interesting times ahead - I wonder who'll be in the dug out for Gateshead away?

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 09:54:43 AM »

I don't claim to be any sort of pshyco analyst, but having listened to GH last night, my own view is that GH is going through a bit of a mid life crisis !

I would suggest that the general sombre mood has been brought on not only by the recent poor run of results, but by his own recent family bereavement.
I know from my own personal experience that such an event does make you stand back and reassess the 'meaning of life' and what you are on this earth to do, and to question what you really want from the rest of your own life.

I just hope that both Graham and/or the board do not rush into any hasty decisions that they may live to regret.

I heard his comments about wanting to win football matches, and not be fighting relegation etc, and I'm sure that is what everyone at Alty wants to see.

However, one has to be realistic and accept, or at least acknowledge, the financial constraints that ANY manger of Alty would be placed under in trying to win matches and avoid relegation. A change of manager won't change the financial plight of the club.

GH has done a tremendous job in the past, and can continue to do a great job in the future. He knows the club through and through and if he was to leave then I think it would be a big step backwards for the club.

At the moment he needs a pat on the back or a sympathetic arm around him to reassure him that he has an important and valued job to do.

At the moment he is looking at all the negatives, and disregarding the positives. There may not appear to be many positives at the moment.

Does he really want to spend the rest of his Saturday afternoons trudging round Tesco or Sainsburys ?

If needs be, take a couple of weeks off recharge the batteries, let KM take the strain, and come back recharged looking at the positives.

I think you make a very valid point in that statement........

markecky

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 10:09:05 AM »

I'm afraid I can't take the mild mannered view of the posts above.

Last night was an absolute disgrace.

As I predicted in the meeting, fair play to John Laidlar for making a non sensational report out of the train crash that was last night.

There is no way he can be be in charge in Saturday after when he said last night. Surely he doesn't want to be in charge from what was said last night anyway.

He may as well have stood there and said

"Everythings absolutley sh*t, apart from 5-6 decent players and a 1000 kids at Hale Barns United, and its going to get no better at all.  I ain't going to resign because then I'll get no money at all.  So come on then board members...what are you going to do about it?"

Everything he said last night was building up to a resignation that never came.

I don't know where to start with it..

Another complete and utter PR disaster.

How on earth can he continue after what was said last night?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team